Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-11-2013, 03:28 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
Or Apple could have put a Micro SD card slot in their iPads. No chance of that.

I used to be the biggest Apple fan. I still have 3 black and white classics. I type this on one of our 4 MacBook Pros.

Apple's contempt for their customers has nearly driven me away. I'm buying a 15" retina next and then we'll see after that. For phones and tablets, no chance.
Well, putting a MicroSD card on a tablet wouldn't really solve a whole lot, given that all Pentax cameras that I know of use SD (not MicroSD) cards.

Of course, Apple *could* put an SD, a miniSD, a microSD, a MMC, a memory stick, an XD and a Compact Flash (am I forgetting something?) reader into their tablets.......that would take a lot of space, create numerous extra crevices to have gunk and lint get into, an extra point of fragility, etc., and I for one am quite happy that they've gone with the leaner approach.

Especially, given that stuff such as EyeFi exists.

Not saying that you're wrong in feeling what you feel, of course, on this point - but rather just sharing my point of view. Goes to show that you can't satisfy everybody, eh....

03-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
Well, putting a MicroSD card on a tablet wouldn't really solve a whole lot, given that all Pentax cameras that I know of use SD (not MicroSD) cards.

Of course, Apple *could* put an SD, a miniSD, a microSD, a MMC, a memory stick, an XD and a Compact Flash (am I forgetting something?) reader into their tablets.......that would take a lot of space, create numerous extra crevices to have gunk and lint get into, an extra point of fragility, etc., and I for one am quite happy that they've gone with the leaner approach.

Especially, given that stuff such as EyeFi exists.

Not saying that you're wrong in feeling what you feel, of course, on this point - but rather just sharing my point of view. Goes to show that you can't satisfy everybody, eh....
Fair enough. Horses for courses.

I happen to use Micro SD in all our digital cameras (K-x, K-30, RX100, Sony waterproof). Either in a SD adapter or a PQI Air SD adapter with built-in WiFi (far superior in flexibility to EyeFi in my opinion as one adaptor turns all your Micro SD cards into wireless cards).

As for crevices adding space and creating opportunity for gunk etc, as a product designer and a supplier of computer accessories to the US (including multi-card readers) I am fairly well placed to answer that. It takes a miniscule amount of space to add a Micro SD card reader into a product. Apple are not choosing a "leaner" approach. They are choosing the most profitable approach. I have voted with my wallet. Many others haven't, but the tide is turning.
03-11-2013, 10:03 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Fair enough. Horses for courses.
Yep, very much agree.

I happen to use Micro SD in all our digital cameras (K-x, K-30, RX100, Sony waterproof). Either in a SD adapter or a PQI Air SD adapter with built-in WiFi (far superior in flexibility to EyeFi in my opinion as one adaptor turns all your Micro SD cards into wireless cards).
Fair enough also, but that wouldn't match my usage a whole lot (I think): part of the reason for using a WiFi SD card is, for me, to not have to fiddle with taking SD cards out of the camera, opening doors (breaking seals) etc. Especially the Q and K-01 make me "careful" with such things.

Also, I am lazy, and the "just turn it on, it'll do the rest" when back at the hotel after a long day is quite nice.

As for crevices adding space and creating opportunity for gunk etc, as a product designer and a supplier of computer accessories to the US (including multi-card readers) I am fairly well placed to answer that. It takes a miniscule amount of space to add a Micro SD card reader into a product. Apple are not choosing a "leaner" approach.
Well, I'm not a product designer, just an odd-ball engineer - and we're well known for being almost the diametrically opposite I'm happy with Apple's choices on this matter [on other things, not so much]...obviously, I cannot know their reasons, but I have my own.

They are choosing the most profitable approach. I have voted with my wallet. Many others haven't, but the tide is turning.
Not sure if there's any "tide turning", but I am very happy that the tablet landscape has gone beyond a "single-manufacturer-world": a bit of competition should (hopefully) make everybody more innovative, and that should be a good thing for us
03-12-2013, 06:28 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I know quite a few photographers who have integrated iPads or Android tablets into their workflow but most of them transfer images wirelessly using Eye-Fi cards in their cameras rather than using Micro SD adapters and/or card readers.

That said, I personally haven't found the Eye-Fi cards that useful (other than to show clients the images that I've captured during the course of the shoot -- larger tablet screen looks better and if the client is looking at the tablet I don't have to stop shooting just to let them review shots on the back of my camera).

I usually just take a thin-and-light laptop (ultrabook) with me when I'm traveling and I use that (with its built-in card reader) for editing on the go. A tablet might be slightly more compact than an ultrabook but my ultrabook is a full-featured Windows 7 PC with Intel Core i7 processor, high-capacity hard drive, SSD cache drive as well as a full installation of Photoshop and all my PS plugins. I personally would rather deal with a "slightly" bulkier computing solution rather than deal with a tablet that lacks the same image editing features as my desktop back home or at the office.

I love my tablet (Lenovo IdeaTab A2109 running Android Jelly Bean) but I personally don't like to use it for serious photo editing.