Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2013, 06:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Fire cloth

wasn't sure where to post this. Just watched a video on using it, so I'm trying to find some. Does it go by another name? I found a couple of wholesalers on alibaba selling it, but I'm not really finding a regular site selling it, so I wondered if it had another more common name.
anyone know an online shop in the states selling it?

02-21-2013, 09:14 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crossmr Quote
Just watched a video on using it
Hmmm. I have no idea what you are asking about! Last time I used a fire cloth/blanket I was putting out an oil fire on a training exercise. I dont think you want info on that
Can you post the link to the video? I would be interested to know more......
02-21-2013, 11:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
wasn't sure where to post this. Just watched a video on using it, so I'm trying to find some. Does it go by another name? I found a couple of wholesalers on alibaba selling it, but I'm not really finding a regular site selling it, so I wondered if it had another more common name.
anyone know an online shop in the states selling it?
Probably looking for NOMEX.

Source: I work in a factory that makes industrial filter bags. We use Nomex fabric for applications that involve really high heat/pressures and strong chemicals. We order it in 500 pound rolls though, and I wouldn't know where to get just small bits of the stuff. Good luck with the search.

Edit: Alternatively, if you just need a bit of the stuff for some personal use, I could probably just grab you some from work. I would have to see if we have any in stock though. PM me if that's the case.
02-22-2013, 01:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster

It's a kelby training video with Frank doorhof. He talks about the stuff like it's common knowledge and says he gets it in the netherlands for like $2 a piece. It comes in various colors, and while it appears to just be a sheer fabric, I'm guessing he prefers this stuff for a particular reason, maybe the way light passes through it which may be different from other sheer cloth like chiffon

You can find a couple of finished shots using the same/similar stuff here:
Another Day with Michelle | Darina Boycheva Photography

Not much on it, searches give me barely anything at all.
but yeah, not nomex at all

02-22-2013, 04:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wonder, does he use it just so that strong lights don't smolder it, or for some photographic reasons?
02-22-2013, 04:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
He uses it for photographic reasons, i don't know what it's called "Fire cloth" that's the problem. I can't find much mention of it outside of his video. I don't think it's actually fire retardant or anything like that.
He uses it for creative shots, and since my focus these days is artistic photography, I wanted to get something like this, as I already had some ideas for sheer material.

But I'm having a bugger of a time finding some stuff here in Korea, but I can order from the US pretty easy, so I thought I'd check if anyone knew of any online shops selling the stuff, I could order the colors I need and get it, but although it's "Famous" in the netherlands, it doesn't seem to appear anywhere else. You can click the link above to see some other examples
Just found a google+ frank made calling it "organza"

02-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

If anyone posts any photos in response to this, please remember to keep them "Safe for Work"... no nudes or images that would get anyone surfing the thread at work into any trouble.

Mike
PF Moderation Team

02-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

We have some Netherlanders on these forums, maybe they can help you out.
02-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Looks like this stuff just comes from Xenos. The low price indication suggests that too.
02-22-2013, 12:23 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah, Organza. That's a common enough fabric that even I've heard of it, and I'm just some stupid, old, male Pentax collector in a hick town in Missouri. Nothing special about Organza. Google "Organza Fabric" and 75% of the hits come back as places to order material in yard-lots (the way you want to buy it).

Whether it will be easy or cost effective to do the same thing in Korea might be an issue but you can certainly order what you need from lots of USA websites.
02-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Not much on it, searches give me barely anything at all.
but yeah, not nomex at all
Ah okay. When you said "fire cloth" I was thinking "flame retardant". Way off.
02-22-2013, 04:38 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
If anyone posts any photos in response to this, please remember to keep them "Safe for Work"... no nudes or images that would get anyone surfing the thread at work into any trouble.

Mike
PF Moderation Team
Did I post something inappropriate?

QuoteQuote:
Ah okay. When you said "fire cloth" I was thinking "flame retardant". Way off.
Yeah, that was the only name he used repeatedly in the video, so I had no other name to go on, he also called it "famous" but that seems to mean to no one other than himself.

QuoteQuote:
Ah, Organza. That's a common enough fabric that even I've heard of it, and I'm just some stupid, old, male Pentax collector in a hick town in Missouri. Nothing special about Organza. Google "Organza Fabric" and 75% of the hits come back as places to order material in yard-lots (the way you want to buy it).

Whether it will be easy or cost effective to do the same thing in Korea might be an issue but you can certainly order what you need from lots of USA websites.
I don't know if it is organza or just he's giving people something that is close enough. It was a very short google+ comment from him. It does look like the stuff. I'm heading up to a major fabric district today to see if I can find any. If not I've got a remailer in the states who ships to Korea very quickly (used them for all my latest gear) and cheaply. I can probably get 4 or 5 colors shipped here for $10-$15.
02-22-2013, 04:45 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know if it is organza or just he's giving people something that is close enough. It was a very short google+ comment from him. It does look like the stuff. I'm heading up to a major fabric district today to see if I can find any. If not I've got a remailer in the states who ships to Korea very quickly (used them for all my latest gear) and cheaply. I can probably get 4 or 5 colors shipped here for $10-$15.
Well that's cool - sounds like a fun trip and a photo op, too (even though it sounds like you are scaling up to studio/art photography). Good Luck!!
02-22-2013, 11:43 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, just because I'll be doing art and studio work doesn't mean I stop shooting outside. I still love nature photography, especially water. The trip was successful, found one shop only selling organza, and they had some really great colors. Not that expensive, 2 yards was about $6. Got 5 different colors. really looking forward to using this.
02-24-2013, 04:17 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Did I post something inappropriate?
I think Mike's reason for commenting is that some of Frank's work is photographing nudes. He does excellent work, but not always work place safe. I believe Frank use to post a lot on Steve's DigiCam site (think that is the correct name).