Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-28-2013, 05:10 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery
Misrepresentation in a World Press and Picture of the Year Winning Photo

Been reading an interesting article about the truth in a photo.
http://www.bagnewsnotes.com/2013/02/when-reality-isn’t-dramatic-enough-misre...winning-photo/

“The Crescent, Rochester USA 2012”, have won multiple awards and the photographer is Magnum’s Paolo Pellegrin.

The strength in doku photo is that the picture shows the reality. If you use a photo and put it in a story, you have to tell that it is an illustration.
Could be interesting to hear what others think about it.

02-28-2013, 06:12 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Thanks for posting the link, interesting article, I had no idea about this.
02-28-2013, 06:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pathetic.

But this kind of thing is not uncommon even in other fields, for example in research settings in the university where the truth is stretched to fit the thesis when they can get away with it.
02-28-2013, 06:47 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Thanks for posting the link, interesting article, I had no idea about this.
Not me neither.....

02-28-2013, 06:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Interesting, but yes, this kind of stuff happens pretty often. Even when a photo isn't manipulated it can be used for all sorts of different meanings
02-28-2013, 07:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The part I don't like is how he excuses himself by saying the caption was meant for internal use and was not intended to be submitted.
02-28-2013, 07:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Interesting, but yes, this kind of stuff happens pretty often. Even when a photo isn't manipulated it can be used for all sorts of different meanings
And it doesn't have to be a particularly good photo either...

02-28-2013, 07:21 AM - 3 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

The guy is scum, there's pretty much no other way to look at it. Every one of us who shoots and tells stories has had an image we didn't get and would have liked to have had, that would have helped our work. The honest thing to do is to go and get the shot.... when I didn't get a shot I wanted on a trip last year, I planned another 2 week trip to the same spot. I didn't fake a shot from a different location.

This man is lazy, ignorant, lying, exploitive and too cowardly to cover the "story" he claims to have covered, and needs a good wuppin, not an award. Or as I said in the first line he's scum.

Last edited by MRRiley; 02-28-2013 at 07:54 AM. Reason: removing vulgarity
02-28-2013, 08:52 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
This man is lazy, ignorant, lying, exploitive and too cowardly to cover the "story" he claims to have covered, and needs a good wuppin, not an award. Or as I said in the first line he's scum.
Norm, please don't hold back it is bad for your blood pressure
03-01-2013, 05:58 AM   #10

Original Poster
Oh

He is probably a Nikon or Canon user......
03-22-2013, 12:47 AM   #11

This was a very painful read. I absolutely hate seeing something like this about photographers an it bothers me greatly that this photographer happened to be a Magnum member. I have a lot of respect for Magnum and have looked at their images since I was a kid. These falsified photographs are such a disgrace to others. I do not want to be thought of as a manipulator in my work. This truly does bother me. Thank you for posting it though as it is something that should be read.
03-22-2013, 04:34 AM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by CB Knipp Quote
this photographer happened to be a Magnum member
Maybe for not much longer if he's going to pull stunts like this, Magnum are very serious about integrity and IMHO rightly so.
03-22-2013, 05:02 AM   #13

I hope they revoke his membership, kerrowdown. It is hurtful to have something you look up to so much seem to deceive you. Next I am going to find that Michael Nichols uses stuffed elephants!