Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by post_eos Quote
I'm angry because my fairy tale world has been shattered
I hope you didn't miss the sarcasm in my post. We really need a /sarc tag or emoticon.
I was raised to believe that judges, lawyers, policemen and the like are part of the justice system. Where is justice when you can get paid to teach people to steal and cheat. This is supposed to be the job of criminals.
Some here will react negatively to this, but I was raised and raised mine an Eagle Scout. Despite the current social vlaues dilemna there is a core honesty woven into the values we were taught.

I sell a specialized financial service for a living. We do EVERYTHING under a contract, for a retainer. We try to think of every eventuality and negotiate in advance every possible remedy. We fulfill our obligations with detail and precision and document constantly every step and action.

Even then, if the service works in the favor of the client - we were paid. If it doesn't we can end up paying them and their lawyers. And then our lawyers. Most of them are honorable, but the less so can be very smart, brazen and crafty.

People have a truly amazing capacity to lie when there is money involved.

Going to court, even with multiple, redundant proofs of correctness and a clear, negotiated contract, is just too risky - bad judge on a bad day can be devastating. We expect to pay every so often. That's just the way it is.

You have to protect yourself, in advance, and it costs money. Sad, but true.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-03-2013 at 07:35 PM.
03-03-2013, 07:43 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I hope you didn't miss the sarcasm in my post. We really need a /sarc tag or emoticon.
I did miss it. It was hard to see from way up there on my soapbox . That would be a great tag/emote to have. How about ?
03-03-2013, 07:58 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I did miss it. It was hard to see from way up there on my soapbox . That would be a great tag/emote to have. How about ?
Heh. My first custom smiley
03-05-2013, 06:39 AM   #19
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Interesting read. I read recently of a photographer that sent a letter to an infringer asking for (I thought) reasonable payment for use of an unlicensed image. The reply from his lawyer was essentially: I am xyz's lawyer, if you so much as hint that my client has done anything wrong I will sue you for defamation, if my client ever hears another word from you I will spend the next two years dragging you into court until you are broke.

Pretty much what was in the article, it does not matter who is right if you can convince the other guy to back off. The photographer gave up as it was not worth the hassle or legal fees.
I've been extensively following the file sharing issue lately. For that issue, it's just now the next step. In the near future - in america there will be much better "itmes in place" for tracking ones own work in photography, but... That's only for america. When the work crosses any border not much can be done with it - at least without spending considerable time and resources.

Here is a brief glimse into the near future...

Person one takes a pic with their camera and then places the pic online; perhaps even to a place such as Facebook. Item is then coped and used illegally somewhere else in the united states. Using "embedded data" to track the pic one can instantly identify the illegal user; all information about that user forwarded back to the original photographer and also to the original pic takers federal court system. Did I mention how much interesting attention a federal warrant receives??

Amoung action taken... Seizure, internet lock, internet ban, etc... Internet providers such as Comcast, Verizon, and many others have already started the ball rolling on this one. More to come soon.

03-05-2013, 09:47 AM   #20
Veteran Member

That would be a great tag/emote to have. How about ?
[Sarcasm] Wait, are you being ironic or is that smiley image something you're giving us the rights to use? [/Sarcasm]
03-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by HockeyDad Quote
[Sarcasm] Wait, are you being ironic or is that smiley image something you're giving us the rights to use? [/Sarcasm]
I realized the irony just a split second after I hit the reply button