Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: placerville, ca
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 171
Asahi Pentax Annual/Pentax Photo Annual

COLLECTION COMPLETED!!!
Since the mid-1980's I have been collecting (and trying to complete a collection of) the Asahi Pentax Annual/Pentax Photo Annual series of books. The large format books feature the year's best images made using Pentax brand cameras and lenses. They are not available in the US. With the help of many people, including my friends Sayuri Takahama, and Jostein Øksne this morning the 2009-2010 issue arrived. My set is now complete from 1974 through the 2012-2013 issue. Yippee! (Those of you who have the collector (of anything) bug know how important, and elusive having a complete collection of anything is.) I think that mine is one of only a few complete collections of these books IN THE WORLD.
(Adam-If there is a more appropriate place in tthe PF's for this post, please move it for me. Thanks. Jack)


Last edited by pntxjack; 03-18-2013 at 01:39 PM. Reason: spelling error
03-18-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 38,824
Well done that's some achievement, was there nothing prior to 1974?

You'll just have to find another passion to feed, try LBA is quite popular around here.
03-18-2013, 05:34 PM   #3
Senior Member
CB Knipp's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sendai, Japan
Posts: 169
I envy you greatly. That would be a wonderful collection to have. Very well done! I can only imagine the effort (and money) you have put into this. I have personally never read one. I will be looking now (I assume they are here in Japan)! Again, great job.
03-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member
tclausen's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,399
QuoteOriginally posted by CB Knipp Quote
I envy you greatly. That would be a wonderful collection to have. Very well done! I can only imagine the effort (and money) you have put into this. I have personally never read one. I will be looking now (I assume they are here in Japan)! Again, great job.
They are in Japan, indeed. I used to pick them up at the Pentax Forum in shinju-ku before they moved...of course, my limited Japanese made it "look, pretty pictures", although there is text in there too. I should remember to pop in there again when in Tokyo by the end of the month, and see if they still have some left.

They are very cool books, and I envy the OP for his complete collection. I have maybe a handful, at most, and they're really very inspirational (& humbling) to browse.

03-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #5
Senior Member
CB Knipp's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sendai, Japan
Posts: 169
Thanks pntxjack and tclausen, I am getting excited! I cannot believe I have never seen one (I'm a little embarassed as well). I am going to find a copy. I have a mission!
03-19-2013, 12:54 AM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 38,824
QuoteOriginally posted by CB Knipp Quote
I cannot believe I have never seen one
Hey your not the only one, I've never heard of this publication either, I'm trying to find out more just now.
03-19-2013, 06:57 AM   #7
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: placerville, ca
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 171
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pntxjack Quote
COLLECTION COMPLETED!!!
Since the mid-1980's I have been collecting (and trying to complete a collection of) the Asahi Pentax Annual/Pentax Photo Annual series of books. The large format books feature the year's best images made using Pentax brand cameras and lenses. They are not available in the US. With the help of many people, including my friends Sayuri Takahama, and Jostein Øksne this morning the 2009-2010 issue arrived. My set is now complete from 1974 through the 2012-2013 issue. Yippee! (Those of you who have the collector (of anything) bug know how important, and elusive having a complete collection of anything is.) I think that mine is one of only a few complete collections of these books IN THE WORLD.
(Adam-If there is a more appropriate place in tthe PF's for this post, please move it for me. Thanks. Jack)
I am nearly certain that 1974 was the first year. What is LBA?
03-19-2013, 06:59 AM   #8
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: placerville, ca
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 171
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Hey your not the only one, I've never heard of this publication either, I'm trying to find out more just now.
Thanks all for your comments. Enter "Pentax Photo Annual" or "Asahi Pentax Annual" on your eBay account. They do come up for sale quite a few times each year. Good luck!!!

03-19-2013, 07:02 AM   #9
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 38,824
QuoteOriginally posted by pntxjack Quote
What is LBA
Just hover your mouse over the LBA, with the wee dots underneath, a box should pop up with Lens Buying Addiction in it.
03-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #10
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: placerville, ca
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 171
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Just hover your mouse over the LBA, with the wee dots underneath, a box should pop up with Lens Buying Addiction in it.
Kerro--Don't get me started on that sickness. I see that 135mm f/1.8 A* hiding among your other lenses. Isn't it a beauty?
03-19-2013, 04:57 PM   #11
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 38,824
QuoteOriginally posted by pntxjack Quote
Isn't it a beauty?
She has always delivered the goods for me when ever she's been asked.

You have her yourself?
03-20-2013, 07:13 AM   #12
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: placerville, ca
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 171
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
She has always delivered the goods for me when ever she's been asked.

You have her yourself?
Had her. And a bunch of other A*'s. Sold most of them to concentrate my LBA on the FA*'s. I iave never owned an 85mm "*" of any generation, but want one someday. I still have the 200mm A* f/4 Macro. Not yet certain if it is the best Pentax has made, but it is up there. FA* 300 f/4.5 continues to be my favorite, and far more sharp than the DA* 300mm f/4. :-)
07-22-2013, 06:21 AM   #13
New Member
Dario's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ravenna, Italy
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8
Hi pntaxjack, I almost have all of them. Almost, as I missed the 2009-2010 and the 2012-2013 issues. Where did you manage to get the 2012-2013 edition? The PPA was once more or less available in Italy (up to 2012, it seems), but apparently the 2012-2013 issue was not distributed here... Dario
07-23-2013, 05:24 AM   #14
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: placerville, ca
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 171
Original Poster
Hi Dario
I was VERY lucky as I had thought that the PPA was discontinued and stopped my quest for later issues. To describe all of my efforts once I realized that the PPA was still being published would take a book. The best name and email address I can give you is tomohito.ando@pri.pentax.co.jp. (The official name of the organization is now "Pentax Ricoh Family Club".) He or she has been most generous and helpful. With your being so well known for your Asahi Optical Historical Club web site, you might get lucky too--I hope so as the satisfied sense from having a complete set is wonderful.
Good to hear from you, and good luck.
Jack
PS
It was difficult for me to navigate to a place on this site where I could respond to your message. Best in the future to use my email address: pntxjack@aol.com
J.
07-24-2013, 03:37 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,379
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
LBA - Lens Buying Addiction
I have always known this as being referred to by my shrink under the scientific/medical term "LAS" (Lens Acquiring Syndrome).
Up to this point however the only cure with any promise of success seems to be exorcism.

Greetings
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
annual/pentax, asahi, books, collection, issue, pentax, photo, photo industry, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax Photo Annual 08-09 diveguru General Photography 4 04-19-2015 11:59 PM
PENTAX RETURNS AS A 62nd ANNUAL WARREN MILLER TOUR SPONSOR Adam Homepage & Official Pentax News 4 10-15-2011 09:47 PM
Pentax Photo Annual pntxjack Pentax News and Rumors 2 06-17-2008 05:44 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:48 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top