Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-18-2013, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Asahi Pentax Annual/Pentax Photo Annual

COLLECTION COMPLETED!!!
Since the mid-1980's I have been collecting (and trying to complete a collection of) the Asahi Pentax Annual/Pentax Photo Annual series of books. The large format books feature the year's best images made using Pentax brand cameras and lenses. They are not available in the US. With the help of many people, including my friends Sayuri Takahama, and Jostein Øksne this morning the 2009-2010 issue arrived. My set is now complete from 1974 through the 2012-2013 issue. Yippee! (Those of you who have the collector (of anything) bug know how important, and elusive having a complete collection of anything is.) I think that mine is one of only a few complete collections of these books IN THE WORLD.
(Adam-If there is a more appropriate place in tthe PF's for this post, please move it for me. Thanks. Jack)

Last edited by pntxjack; 03-18-2013 at 01:39 PM. Reason: spelling error
03-18-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Well done that's some achievement, was there nothing prior to 1974?

You'll just have to find another passion to feed, try LBA is quite popular around here.
03-18-2013, 05:34 PM   #3

I envy you greatly. That would be a wonderful collection to have. Very well done! I can only imagine the effort (and money) you have put into this. I have personally never read one. I will be looking now (I assume they are here in Japan)! Again, great job.
03-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CB Knipp Quote
I envy you greatly. That would be a wonderful collection to have. Very well done! I can only imagine the effort (and money) you have put into this. I have personally never read one. I will be looking now (I assume they are here in Japan)! Again, great job.
They are in Japan, indeed. I used to pick them up at the Pentax Forum in shinju-ku before they moved...of course, my limited Japanese made it "look, pretty pictures", although there is text in there too. I should remember to pop in there again when in Tokyo by the end of the month, and see if they still have some left.

They are very cool books, and I envy the OP for his complete collection. I have maybe a handful, at most, and they're really very inspirational (& humbling) to browse.

03-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #5

Thanks pntxjack and tclausen, I am getting excited! I cannot believe I have never seen one (I'm a little embarassed as well). I am going to find a copy. I have a mission!
03-19-2013, 12:54 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by CB Knipp Quote
I cannot believe I have never seen one
Hey your not the only one, I've never heard of this publication either, I'm trying to find out more just now.
03-19-2013, 06:57 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pntxjack Quote
COLLECTION COMPLETED!!!
Since the mid-1980's I have been collecting (and trying to complete a collection of) the Asahi Pentax Annual/Pentax Photo Annual series of books. The large format books feature the year's best images made using Pentax brand cameras and lenses. They are not available in the US. With the help of many people, including my friends Sayuri Takahama, and Jostein Øksne this morning the 2009-2010 issue arrived. My set is now complete from 1974 through the 2012-2013 issue. Yippee! (Those of you who have the collector (of anything) bug know how important, and elusive having a complete collection of anything is.) I think that mine is one of only a few complete collections of these books IN THE WORLD.
(Adam-If there is a more appropriate place in tthe PF's for this post, please move it for me. Thanks. Jack)
I am nearly certain that 1974 was the first year. What is LBA?

03-19-2013, 06:59 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Hey your not the only one, I've never heard of this publication either, I'm trying to find out more just now.
Thanks all for your comments. Enter "Pentax Photo Annual" or "Asahi Pentax Annual" on your eBay account. They do come up for sale quite a few times each year. Good luck!!!
03-19-2013, 07:02 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

What is LBA
Just hover your mouse over the LBA, with the wee dots underneath, a box should pop up with Lens Buying Addiction in it.
03-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just hover your mouse over the LBA, with the wee dots underneath, a box should pop up with Lens Buying Addiction in it.
Kerro--Don't get me started on that sickness. I see that 135mm f/1.8 A* hiding among your other lenses. Isn't it a beauty?
03-19-2013, 04:57 PM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Isn't it a beauty?
She has always delivered the goods for me when ever she's been asked.

You have her yourself?
03-20-2013, 07:13 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
She has always delivered the goods for me when ever she's been asked.

You have her yourself?
Had her. And a bunch of other A*'s. Sold most of them to concentrate my LBA on the FA*'s. I iave never owned an 85mm "*" of any generation, but want one someday. I still have the 200mm A* f/4 Macro. Not yet certain if it is the best Pentax has made, but it is up there. FA* 300 f/4.5 continues to be my favorite, and far more sharp than the DA* 300mm f/4. :-)
07-22-2013, 06:21 AM   #13

Hi pntaxjack, I almost have all of them. Almost, as I missed the 2009-2010 and the 2012-2013 issues. Where did you manage to get the 2012-2013 edition? The PPA was once more or less available in Italy (up to 2012, it seems), but apparently the 2012-2013 issue was not distributed here... Dario
07-23-2013, 05:24 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Dario
I was VERY lucky as I had thought that the PPA was discontinued and stopped my quest for later issues. To describe all of my efforts once I realized that the PPA was still being published would take a book. The best name and email address I can give you is tomohito.ando@pri.pentax.co.jp. (The official name of the organization is now "Pentax Ricoh Family Club".) He or she has been most generous and helpful. With your being so well known for your Asahi Optical Historical Club web site, you might get lucky too--I hope so as the satisfied sense from having a complete set is wonderful.
Good to hear from you, and good luck.
Jack
PS
It was difficult for me to navigate to a place on this site where I could respond to your message. Best in the future to use my email address: pntxjack@aol.com
J.
07-24-2013, 03:37 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LBA - Lens Buying Addiction
I have always known this as being referred to by my shrink under the scientific/medical term "LAS" (Lens Acquiring Syndrome).
Up to this point however the only cure with any promise of success seems to be exorcism.

Greetings