Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
03-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is Canon invading Pentax's turf?

So Canon has just announced a new consumer DSLR, the Canon EOS 100D / Rebel SL1, and they are promoting it as 'the world's smallest, lightest APS-C DSLR'. In recent years, Pentax has become known for building smaller DSLR's that cram a lot of features into a package that is more compact than the competition. But with this new Rebel, Canon has gone much smaller.

I don't know the exact dimensions of the SL1, but it looks pretty small beside a normal Rebel. And the published weight spec is also impressive. ePhotzine has it at 407g with memory card and battery. For the sake of comparison, the K-x weighed 580g with battery, and my old Olympus e-420 (which was tiny) weighed 445g. So Canon has really raised (or lowered?) the bar here.

So this has me wondering, is there significant market-demand for a compact DSLR? Canon seems to think so. Perhaps this is their response to the insurgence of the mirrorless segmant. And is Pentax going to give up this niche of the market, or are they working on their own compact DSLR? I hope so. I would love to have a tiny Pentax DSLR that I could put a pancake on when I want to travel light.

Here's a picture from ePhotozone showing how small the new camera is:

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 03-22-2013 at 09:26 PM.
03-22-2013, 08:49 PM   #2
Forum Member

I'm not sure how much of a market there is for something this small. It looses in size advantage to M43 as well as APSC mirrorless cameras because of its depth due to flange distance and losses big time based on size of lens. Could you I,aging trying to use a 70-200 f2.8 on this thing? I think consumers who want to buy a small camera are more likely to go for Micro 43 than this. This thing is small and light but I don't think that the gains will attract buyers who truly want a small system.

I personally like my K5... It's the perfect size. It balances well with a lens, because it isn't too light. I think the Canon may be a touch too light for long lens'.
03-22-2013, 08:54 PM - 5 Likes   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax has turf?

Steve
03-22-2013, 09:11 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Pentax is not known for anything in the first place.(but of course we know better )
No one knows much about the nice smaller DSLRs and lenses from Pentax, even many DSLR users (they only know Canikony).
I see lots of Canikony users move on to m4/3 or NEX declaring that they have become tired of their large gear.
In fact, that smaller than Canikony gear was all the while available if they even knew/looked at Pentax.

Pentax has itself to blame with its zero marketing and store presence.

The Canon strategy is some what sound.
This camera is aimed at Tom Layman.
His requirements : Cheap; Looks like a DSLR and not the HP or PnS he currently has; Branded (yes, PanOlyTax won't by his books)

03-22-2013, 09:23 PM   #5
Closed Account

In Japan, it makes a lot of sense.
03-22-2013, 09:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
LOL, you guys are right. I was out of line to imply that Pentax is "known" for anything. I should have known better, since people always seem confused when they ask what kind of camera I'm using, and I tell them it's a Pentax.
03-22-2013, 09:40 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Pentax has turf?

Steve
Exactly

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-22-2013, 10:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

It looks kind of silly to be honest.

I know the K5 and the like are more compact then their rivals but it's not sacrificing ergonomics and build quality (and possibly enjoyment of shooting). I feel like shooting with something as toy-like as that Canon would just feel wrong. At least compared to my monstrous K20D+grip.
03-22-2013, 10:19 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Many people including me are with Pentax for three primary reasons - small body, small primes and in-build stabilization despite of not so good AF and poor availability (especially where I live, I get anything for Canikon so cheap except Pentax). If Canon or Nikon comes up with something similar - at least small body and inbuilt stabilization, I feel that Pentax likely to lose some user-base. Also, there are people who uses third part lenses with Pentax, so small primes is not always an criteria.
03-22-2013, 10:29 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
If Canon or Nikon comes up with something similar - at least small body and inbuilt stabilization, I feel that Pentax likely to lose some user-base.
If Canon or Nikon felt that Pentax was hurting them in any significant way, I think they would have added in-body stabilization a long time ago. Although I like owning something a little different, I would certainly give Canon or Nikon a look if they added stabilization. You'd be crazy not to, considering all of the great lenses and accessories available to them.
03-22-2013, 10:49 PM   #11
Veteran Member

That's kind of like asking if the elephant is challenging the gnat.
03-23-2013, 12:44 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The 100D looks like a pretty good camera to me - and I quite like a smaller camera. But then the compact size of Pentax cameras is only one of Pentax system advantages and anyway I suspect Canon does not see Pentax as any real threat (they are far more worried about what Nikon are doing).
My initial reasons for buying in to a Pentax system were (roughly in this order):
1. K-x - relatively low cost but really good performing camera - great performance value for the money.
2. Backward lens compatibility (including the advantage of built in SR). Opens up lower cost lens options and gives some confidence that Pentax will continue to support legacy lenses in the future. Certainly can't say that about Canon (I had a FD camera once upon a time - never Canon again for me).
3. Nice focus on ergonomics aimed at the photographer. I like the way Pentax cameras feel and operate.
4. Were moderate priced lenses available - does not really apply now unfortunately (this advantage has largely gone away)
5. Relatively compact size.
6. I do like the look of the compact DA limiteds - just don't have the budget for them at the moment so I will stick with 3rd party and my older lenses for now.
03-23-2013, 01:30 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would imagine from the general public pov, Pentax is not being invaded since it is non-exist to begin with. If I was asked why Pentax, I would have a hard time coming up with anything useful. Being the minority is probably the most convincing one.
03-23-2013, 01:54 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Canon wants to sell an SLR to compete with mirrorless offerings that are nipping at their market share at the entry level DSLR - but there is a problem: canon's offering is still an SLR - there is no way in hell a DSLR can compete with a mirror-less system for compactness. Pentax has found a good balance between small size and good ergonomics, in my mind Canon has a great deal of work ahead of them to match Pentax when it comes to smaller cameras. Nikon cameras are generally excellent in terms of ergonomics, and they are continuing to improve.
03-23-2013, 02:48 AM   #15
Veteran Member

$650 body, is a bit expensive.