Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2013, 06:38 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Interesting tech, strange it comes from Rambus though...

You thought it'd be patented by Sony, Canon ?
Nope...

Rambus adds range to image sensors with Binary Pixel technology | SemiAccurate

Very interesting though.
Warning: site is usually NOT talking photo so it is obvious some mistakes comes from there.

03-23-2013, 08:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very interesting indeed.....Let it come after 5 years....3 months before I upgraded to K-5II
03-23-2013, 10:37 AM   #3

HDR Video anyone?
03-23-2013, 12:17 PM   #4
Pentaxian

We've kicked around similar ideas on this forum -- it is surprising that none of the usual players have come up with anything in this area (maybe they have that we don't know about) as the current sensor tech is so obviously limiting (and improvable). It is one of those thing where I've been wondering for a long time while it is still done that way, it just seems stupid. At some point, I expect shutter speeds to be post-applied to the captured photon data, and where mixtures of speeds are possible which is sort of what HDR is and what they are talking about here (shadows can be exposed longer than highlights, *in effect*). Stills and video will become the same thing eventually (stills just processed from video stream), at least at the consumer level. Just as we are seeing with the Lytro with its light field technology where focus can be selected after the fact, although that is only a gimmick at this point. But it is all moving slower than I would have thought -- maybe there isn't enough money in it (or perception there isn't) to get the required investments.