Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2013, 11:55 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Everyone has given you the straight scope. You have no right to photograph anything on private property. Renters have authority to restrict activity on the property they have rented, even if that property is publicly owned (such as a city auditorium for example). As you have been told, photographing people from a public street as they enter and leave is protected. What you did was within the organizers prevue and they had the right to restrict your activity or even ask you to leave - and they owe you no explanation whatsoever.
I understand but only commercial photography was not allowed on that property as dictated by the signs. Photography is allowed only if every person in the photo has given you permission (This is what they told me through email). Unfortunately I saw many other people breaking this rule without the staff questioning them. Maybe I should use my phone to seem "less threatening".

All I have to say is that the rules are beyond vague and only apply when someone wants it to apply (as seen at this specific gun show).

Now I know not to try this anymore. Thank you everyone!

03-26-2013, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Quij Quote
I understand but only commercial photography was not allowed on that property as dictated by the signs. Photography is allowed only if every person in the photo has given you permission (This is what they told me through email). Unfortunately I saw many other people breaking this rule without the staff questioning them. Maybe I should use my phone to seem "less threatening".

All I have to say is that the rules are beyond vague and only apply when someone wants it to apply (as seen at this specific gun show).

Now I know not to try this anymore. Thank you everyone!
You are simply wrong. You spoke, by your own post here, to the organizers and they decided. End of Story. Private persons have no obligation to either tell you their rules nor apply them to YOUR satisfaction regarding anything - including being even handed. You simply seem to miss the main point - THEY, not you, have the right to make the decision. Done.
03-26-2013, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
Agreed. I can get the pictures if I want them, but then again people know me around here and know I am responsible and that I 'get it' and won't be making some anti gun blog.

There is a huge media fight going on and that is not lost on anyone.

Let me add one more point in here... a picture is interpreted by the viewer. Hence I almost never put up pictures of guns or myself with guns on facebook or whatever. We might be celebrating a 14 year old boy's birthday with grandpa and grandma and having a BBQ and and the whole family out drinking sodas and sitting around in lawn chairs...

But other people don't or won't or refuse to see that part...and all they do is report 'dangerous people' and get really freaked out by it.

It's a very touchy subject for sure.
Absolutely. I love my Aunt and Uncle from Philadelphia (old Union folks and completely Blue state folks) who came to visit me in rural Georgia. They called the Sheriff on their way to my house because they "saw suspicious people "lurking" with weapons" in a field. Those folks were on their own property, wearing hunting orange, and carrying shotguns during the season. My relatives were incensed by the mild chuckle from the Sheriff's Deputy.

Context and eye of beholder.
03-26-2013, 12:13 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Something that would have a very different meaning if uttered in an urban setting...
I'm sure. Its about 15 miles to a city from where I live... I don't know what other conclusion people could draw...but I guess people get creative. Really and honestly though people simply don't understand and have no intention to understand which is kind of a shame.

But in either case that's where we are at...

Especially since the OP is I think from California he might have an even harder time as the culture differences are very apparent there.

But as for the OP's desire to take photos of the real underlying 'gun culture'... I think its a worthy endeavor.

03-26-2013, 12:17 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

I'm sure. Its about 15 miles to a city from where I live... I don't know what other conclusion people could draw...but I guess people get creative. Really and honestly though people simply don't understand and have no intention to understand which is kind of a shame.

But in either case that's where we are at...

Especially since the OP is I think from California he might have an even harder time as the culture differences are very apparent there.

But as for the OP's desire to take photos of the real underlying 'gun culture'... I think its a worthy endeavor.
Which "gun culture"? Seriously. I have had concealed carry permits for decades, am a Life Member of the NRA, have shot competitively (in the distant past), qualified rather high on the range, and have taught gun safety to children over the years. I have seen many different approaches to guns and many different "cultures" around them.
03-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Which "gun culture"? Seriously. I have had concealed carry permits for decades, am a Life Member of the NRA, have shot competitively (in the distant past), qualified rather high on the range, and have taught gun safety to children over the years. I have seen many different approaches to guns and many different "cultures" around them.
This brings up a very good point. There is not a singular answer to the question of 'culture'. You have bad people culture... gangs and so forth (not recommended photography there)...police culture, military culture, country bumpkin culture, hunting culture... there are probably 100 ways to go with this...
03-26-2013, 12:57 PM   #22
Veteran Member

This brings up a very good point. There is not a singular answer to the question of 'culture'. You have bad people culture... gangs and so forth (not recommended photography there)...police culture, military culture, country bumpkin culture, hunting culture... there are probably 100 ways to go with this...
Then there is the Competitive Shooting Culture, the mechanical gun smith culture, the 1st Amendment Culture, etc. Trying to characterize "Gun Culture" and use the singular shows a lack of awareness and experience. I can "talk guns" with most folks when it comes to technical issues but there are gun culture groups that I would never either choose to have that conversation with or be allowed to have that conversation with. I know many police officers, for example, whose knowledge of actual guns and proper shooting technique is abysmal to say the least but who would NEVER, EVER, under any circumstances take ANY input from me - a "mere civilian".

03-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #23
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Since this has shifted focus from photography to guns; it's done.

CLOSED
Closed Thread