Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Holternamm collection - photo's from the 1870's

I've been blissfully ignorant of the existence of these remarkable photographs depicting people and places of the goldrush era of Australia's history.

Found in a garden shed in 1951, some 3500 glass plate negatives had, due to good fortune, been laying untouched for some 80 years. Negatives of this quality from this time and place are extremely rare.

The quality of the glass plate exposures - as opposed to film or digital technology- allows for extreme magnification without loss of detail. See for yourself.

I have spent many hour pouring over the detail contained in these long exposure shots, wondering about the people, fashions and places. Some places no longer exist, such as most of Hill End, where the world largest reef gold nugget was found, or the Mawsons Point battery, which now is the site of the south pillar of the Sydney Harbour Bridge, Some places still exist, such as Hadley's City Family Hotel which now sits almost un-noticed on the main highway entry to Bendigo - then called Sandhurst. (see Pall Mall Bendigo, 1874) In the background of this same photo is the original version of the famous Shamrock hotel. This premises has been rebuilt 3 times on the same site, and boasts such famous house guests as Prince Charles and Lady Dianna, Dame Nellie Melba, and ..err...me...

I hope others will find these just as fascinating as I did.

Photography: Holtermann collection | State Library of New South Wales

03-26-2013, 03:45 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Great find. Thank you for sharing.
03-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The resolution is outstanding. How were they scanned?
I too, spent a while looking at the Pall Mall shot , as I lived there.
03-26-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
An interesting read, thanks for the link.

03-26-2013, 08:30 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
The resolution is outstanding. How were they scanned?
I too, spent a while looking at the Pall Mall shot , as I lived there.
A displaced wombat?

I only know the information available on the website (and there was an Australian ABC TV spot about them). All I know is they were scanned with high resolution equipment. The fascinating part to me is not the new technology, but the old tech. Imagine using a glass plate negative 18 x 22 inches! This must have been a very expensive and time consuming exercise.
03-27-2013, 06:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Yes the resolution of the originals must have been very high. By the motion blur of the people and horses I would guess exposures around one second?. I am interested to know how the State Library of NSW is serving the ability to smoothly zoom in by browser to such high magnification.
I saw on website they are spending heavy duty funds on it, but nothing on tech side is mentioned as far as I could find.