Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
03-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A monochrome sensor for the GXR M-mount makes a lot of sense. And add K-mount sensors, regular flavour and monochrome.

03-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
No offense, but you sound like someone who never shot on b&w film.
You are wrong about that. It has been a long time certainly, but I shot mainly b&w film when I was a photography student. (I actually have a undergrad 4-year degree in film & photography, believe it or not.) Don't see what that has to do with anything though. Whether I shot film or not won't change the demand profile of the world for a monochromatic camera. Again, sure I'd like one, I'd like a lot of things, but probably couldn't justify the expense. (And I'd probably prefer a medium format monochrome while we are at it -- that would be awesome.) But again, don't see what my preferences matter other than as an example of a person who *isn't* clamoring for Pentax to make one, since I most likely would not buy it. (I'm more likely to get a 645N film rig and shoot b&w film again, in fact -- that's something I've been thinking about.)

It is pretty obvious there isn't much demand, and you haven't shown any evidence otherwise. The fact that you started this thread wondering why the "demand" hasn't shown itself is contrary evidence, is it not?

That's all I was saying: You are asking "Why isn't the community bugging Pentax about making a monochrome?" (With the assumption that lots of people secretly want that but don't want to talk about it for some reason, which is a very strange assumption.) Instead you should be asking, "Why doesn't the community much want a monochrome?" (Since it is quite obvious there is only little interest.)

Last edited by vonBaloney; 03-27-2013 at 04:38 PM.
03-27-2013, 04:36 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does anyone have any thoughts on what the development or production costs of a monochrome camera would be?
I can't even begin to guess, but would have assumed the cost for Pentax to modify an existing body and sensor to monochrome would be low? Am I wrong?
Could be a nice little niche for Pentax to fill...K-5iis Mono?
Cheers
Dean
03-27-2013, 06:40 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The sensor and its bus and pico etc would all have to change. Also the firmware for UI menus etc

03-28-2013, 12:51 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
back LCD could be hi-res b&w
03-28-2013, 01:36 AM   #21

I don't think that this is such a crazy idea - most of the monochrome cameras components would be the same, apart from the Bayer filter, most of the differences would be in software.

Indeed, like Leica, Pentax could sell the mono camera for a premium and make a tidy profit.

It might even tempt some to buy two bodies.....
03-28-2013, 01:39 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dean Bradshaw Quote
Could be a nice little niche for Pentax to fill...K-5iis Mono?
Cheers
Dean
back LCD could be hi-res b&w
A K-5IIs Mono with a hi-res b&w screen would absolutely rock! I would go for that even if it costs as much as a D800.

...And I would pay double that if it could mount off-brand glass through adapters. But then it would be so easy to implement anymore, because then using an existing body won't work any longer.

03-28-2013, 03:03 AM   #23
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Can I play devils advocate here, what a about a FF monochrome, as per Leica?
03-28-2013, 05:04 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Can I play devils advocate here, what a about a FF monochrome, as per Leica?
Why? FF is still huge factor in price increase.
03-28-2013, 08:29 AM   #25
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Why?
Pentax monochrome or Leica way
Because the Leica way is FF on their monochrome, so for discussing like for like in this thread, it should be about a Pentax monochrome FF surely.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 03-29-2013 at 02:28 AM.
03-28-2013, 08:37 AM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

Is there currently a dedicated Monochrome APS-C sytem camera? I don't know of any. If that beast doesn't even exist then it's all the more reason for Pentax to do it on APS-C.
03-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So I'm assuming everyone who thinks this is a good idea is willing to pay ~$8,000 for it?
03-28-2013, 10:05 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
So I'm assuming everyone who thinks this is a good idea is willing to pay ~$8,000 for it?
No, everyone thinks it would be cheaper than Leica
03-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No, everyone thinks it would be cheaper than Leica
Then you would be wrong.
03-28-2013, 11:14 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Then you would be wrong.
...You think it would be more expensive because it's oh so difficult to undercut Leica???