Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
03-29-2013, 08:45 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds like you guys are secretly lusting after one of these:

Pentax MZ-S - Pentax Autofocus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

- You can shoot b&w, colour and IR on it.
- Comes in black or silver.
- Is full frame.

Phil.

03-29-2013, 08:51 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
The Sigmas with the Foveon sensor ought to be pretty good in b&w, eh?
Conceptually, the Foveon could have the benefits of a B+W camera while still being able to sort out the colors.

In practice I don't know how many of the photons are lost with the Foveon vs. a B+W sensor.
03-29-2013, 04:02 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Sounds like you guys are secretly lusting after one of these:

Pentax MZ-S - Pentax Autofocus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

- You can shoot b&w, colour and IR on it.
- Comes in black or silver.
- Is full frame.

Phil.
Come on now, that would make things too easy!
Cheers
Dean
03-29-2013, 10:54 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Conceptually, the Foveon could have the benefits of a B+W camera while still being able to sort out the colors.

In practice I don't know how many of the photons are lost with the Foveon vs. a B+W sensor.
Foveon technology bottleneck Is not in sensors but in massive data amount coming from it, witch requires powerful process and huge power source.

08-15-2014, 01:17 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mdodrill Quote
Even shooting in jpeg I get decent results with Topaz B&W
Leica appeals to a very small up scale consumer....tuff for Pentax to make it in that market
I'm also looking for an alternative to purchasing a Leica Monochrome M. I grew up with black & white darkroom and still prefer B&W today over color.
...thanks for the heads-up about the Topaz plug-in....maybe if I play with it enough I can convince myself that I don't need the Leica.

...and maybe there will be a surprise at photokina next month..... K-3 FF Monochrome
08-17-2014, 02:51 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax DSLR monochrome, yes i would buy one, no problems
09-25-2014, 12:33 PM   #52
Veteran Member

People would buy them no matter what, the question is how many people would buy them?
Would there be enough demand to pay for developing a new camera body, sensor, etc?
Would there be enough demand to pay for setting up a new production of a camera like that?
You have to think that they would make a whole new camera, which isn't a cheap or easy undertaking.
Personally, I would like to have a monochromatic Pentax camera, the problem is, with a good monitor, shooting in RAW and a little tweaking, I get really great B&W results from my K5. If I really needed the true monochrome I would just shoot monochrome film. Not that big of a deal.

In my opinion this wouldn't be a very wise financial decision for Ricoh. Canon,or Nikon, I could see. Pentax... When is the last time you even saw Pentax being advertised on the telley? Considerably less than Canon or Nikon. That means that Canon and Nikon have bigger consumer bases, which means that if they were to release a monochrome dSLR and it ended up being a flop, they wouldn't be out a whole lot, whereas with Pentax, if they did that and it ended up being a flop, that could really damage the company. Now I say the same thing with the FF, sure, there are a lot of people that will buy it if Pentax ever makes one, I personally am not going to get in line for it, why? Well, because even though the FF has higher resolution, beyond a certain point, it more or less become useless. My 16MP K5 can get great results with images printed at least 48x60" I don't know how much bigger than that I can go, as I have never needed to. So, if that is a 16MP APS-c sensor, why do I need a 36MP FF cMOS sensor? I m never going to need to blow up an image bigger than 48x60. Will you? I don't know. It is all in how much money you want to spend, I know that FF does have its advantages, but personally something like that I am going to wait until my K5 no longer works.

09-25-2014, 02:20 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bcrary3 Quote
People would buy them no matter what, the question is how many people would buy them?
Would there be enough demand to pay for developing a new camera body, sensor, etc?
Would there be enough demand to pay for setting up a new production of a camera like that?
You have to think that they would make a whole new camera, which isn't a cheap or easy undertaking.
Personally, I would like to have a monochromatic Pentax camera, the problem is, with a good monitor, shooting in RAW and a little tweaking, I get really great B&W results from my K5. If I really needed the true monochrome I would just shoot monochrome film. Not that big of a deal.

In my opinion this wouldn't be a very wise financial decision for Ricoh. Canon,or Nikon, I could see. Pentax... When is the last time you even saw Pentax being advertised on the telley? Considerably less than Canon or Nikon. That means that Canon and Nikon have bigger consumer bases, which means that if they were to release a monochrome dSLR and it ended up being a flop, they wouldn't be out a whole lot, whereas with Pentax, if they did that and it ended up being a flop, that could really damage the company. Now I say the same thing with the FF, sure, there are a lot of people that will buy it if Pentax ever makes one, I personally am not going to get in line for it, why? Well, because even though the FF has higher resolution, beyond a certain point, it more or less become useless. My 16MP K5 can get great results with images printed at least 48x60" I don't know how much bigger than that I can go, as I have never needed to. So, if that is a 16MP APS-c sensor, why do I need a 36MP FF cMOS sensor? I m never going to need to blow up an image bigger than 48x60. Will you? I don't know. It is all in how much money you want to spend, I know that FF does have its advantages, but personally something like that I am going to wait until my K5 no longer works.
There is another way, make GR monochrome
09-25-2014, 03:27 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

yes a mono GR would work too, cheers