Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #1
Forum Member

Camera/lens storage in a mail sorter?

This didn't seem totally right for any forum, but this is a decent enough fit, right?

My collection is starting to get large and such a bountiful lot can become cumbersome. I have some of my stuff on bookshelves with glass doors and other things in the office on a set of ikea expedit shelves. It's all pretty haphazard and I never know where anything is. I've been thinking about getting an office-style mail sorter to at least keep the lenses in order. I'm a sack o' primes sort of shooter.

Has anyone done this? How did it work out? I'm thinking something like this:

04-07-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Might work. But some of those 'mail sorters' are really light weight construction. I would check carefully before I put a bunch of glass in one. A vintage one made of all wood might be OK, the new ones I've seen at office supply stores are surely too flimsy to be trusted.
04-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Might work. But some of those 'mail sorters' are really light weight construction. I would check carefully before I put a bunch of glass in one. A vintage one made of all wood might be OK, the new ones I've seen at office supply stores are surely too flimsy to be trusted.
What made me think of this originally was that a friend offered me one that was originally used to sort mail on a train back in the late nineteenth century. It's gorgeous and a steal at $900. I *might* give in but would really like to cheap out.
04-07-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That would certainly be a nice display, and you could add glass doors to it to keep dust out. But jatrax has a good point. In general, storing your collection in one place increases the risk of loosing everything at once in case of an accident (fire, burglary). So, adding more chaos is better

04-07-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jesssss Quote
It's gorgeous and a steal at $900.
Well, I don't know about a 'steal', I am just not that into antiques or furniture. I can buy a lot of lenses for $900...')

But if it is a nice piece and will work in your room and it is worth that amount, I don't see why it would not work. Just be sure it can handle the weight of the lenses. I have mine stored on shelves in the closet in the studio at the moment. My wife complains that if I value them so much I should get a display case and show them off. But every time I look at the cost of a display fixture I think "I can get a new lens for that much".
04-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Well, I don't know about a 'steal', I am just not that into antiques or furniture. I can buy a lot of lenses for $900...')

But if it is a nice piece and will work in your room and it is worth that amount, I don't see why it would not work. Just be sure it can handle the weight of the lenses. I have mine stored on shelves in the closet in the studio at the moment. My wife complains that if I value them so much I should get a display case and show them off. But every time I look at the cost of a display fixture I think "I can get a new lens for that much".
I do have a thing for history, but most of the value I see in it is that it's enormous and solid - though the person who would have to help me move it might not see those as selling points.
04-10-2013, 06:31 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I keep my stuff (lenses, batteries, chargers, filters, hoods, accessories, cleaning supplies, etc.) in a shoe sorter that's attached to the back of the door to my home office:

Amazon.com: Whitmor 6082-13 Natural Linen Soft Storage Over-the-Door Shoe Organizer: Home & Kitchen

SLR camera bodies won't fit, not very well at least. But those I just keep in their bags.

I did mount it using screw-hooks attached directly to the door, rather than using the over-door hooks that come with it.

It's pretty solid, and can support a fair amount of weight. Plus it takes up essentially no space.

04-11-2013, 12:32 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jesssss Quote
This didn't seem totally right for any forum, but this is a decent enough fit, right?

My collection is starting to get large and such a bountiful lot can become cumbersome. I have some of my stuff on bookshelves with glass doors and other things in the office on a set of ikea expedit shelves. It's all pretty haphazard and I never know where anything is. I've been thinking about getting an office-style mail sorter to at least keep the lenses in order. I'm a sack o' primes sort of shooter.

Has anyone done this? How did it work out? I'm thinking something like this:
I have two mini sorters like that. 6 slots each. I'm only using 1 now because my collection isn't that big, but when it expands I'll have another 6 slots to play around with.

I love it. It makes a nice display for your lenses, and it helps keep things organized. I would go for it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u7ygl7w22m5zsr6/20130411_002627.jpg