Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-08-2013, 07:13 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Mad Men and Pentax (What Could Have Been)

Anyone watch the premier of Mad Men last night? A neighbor asked Don Draper which camera they were doing a campaign for, "Pentax"? Sadly Don answered no, "Leica". I really wish it was Pentax, that would have been so cool to see them working on a Pentax campaign this season.

Found this blog entry this morning, little more about Mad Men and film cameras:

http://www.pdexposures.tv/mad-men-season-6-episode-1-camera-film-recap/

04-08-2013, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That would have required Pentax to have actually had a marketing strategy...
04-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm still waiting for a black Pentax Q in a Bond or Mission Impossible move.
04-08-2013, 09:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bigdog104 Quote
Anyone watch the premier of Mad Men last night? A neighbor asked Don Draper which camera they were doing a campaign for, "Pentax"? Sadly Don answered no, "Leica". I really wish it was Pentax, that would have been so cool to see them working on a Pentax campaign this season.
Saw it. Immediately thought that one of the writers has his/her pulse on the state of consumer photography.

"Pentax" - good name to drop seeing as there currently is a different (albeit diminished) buzz about the Pentax brand versus Canon or Nikon. At the time, Pentax probably had a larger market share, so mentioning Canon or Nikon would not have been consistent with the history of the industry. "Leica" - good name to drop because it is a brand associated with premiums both now and back then. I think that Leica has acquired even more cache over the years. "Mad Men" viewer demographics probably dovetails nicely with Leica be's and wannebe's.