Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2013, 12:38 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Absolutely Superlative Customer Service from Pentax (DA*'s 16-50 and 60-250)

I just wanted to share my experience with Pentax headquarters in Denver regarding what I consider to be absolutely outstanding customer service on behalf of Pentax USA.

I bought a brand new copy of the DA* 16-50 f/2.8 from Pentax directly to replace the copy (solely because I wanted a warranty on the lens because I depend on it so much - the lens in the giveaway is in excellent condition ) that is currently being competed for in the DA* 16-50 Giveaway. When I received it, I noticed there were some deformities on it, and submitted pictures along with a description to the person I was in contact with at the Denver (USA) Headquarters. That letter was as follows:
QuoteQuote:
Ma'am,

I finally got around to unpacking everything from my deployment and taking some time to enjoy some photography. With that, I gave the lenses (18-135 and the 16-50) a much closer inspection rather than just mounting, zooming, and autofocusing them to make sure they were functioning. I noticed that the DA* 16-50 seems to have either been used, or at least mishandled at some point. I thought it might have been the shipping, but there is an obvious impact location on the left side of the distance indicator window that is far too acute and localized to have been caused while in the box, which has ultimately caused a crack in the corner of the glass. Also, while very small (I attributed them to dust when I first gave the lens a very quick once-over) there are numerous scratches on the glass itself on the main lens element. I've included pictures for your reference.

I would greatly appreciate sending the lens and all components back in exchange for another DA* 16-50.

Thank you very much for your understanding.

Very Respectfully,
Alexander
The images I sent were as follows. Note that these were all taken with the DFA 100mm Macro WR at nearly 1:1 - the scratches are not massive which is why I thought it was dust at first (and would explain why I failed to get a single shot with all of them in focus )

Front Element
Name:  Front Element 1.jpg
Views: 1046
Size:  168.2 KB

Another Angle of the Front Element
Name:  Front Element 2.jpg
Views: 1227
Size:  85.8 KB

Impact Site and Glass Crack
Name:  Impact Site and Glass Crack.jpg
Views: 1186
Size:  228.0 KB

Impact Site
Name:  Impact Site.jpg
Views: 1299
Size:  98.2 KB

Opposite Side of Distance Window, No Damage
Name:  Opposite Impact Site, No Damage.jpg
Views: 1033
Size:  140.6 KB

I was then asked to confirm my shipping address, which prompted confusion because I still hadn't sent back this copy that I had in my possession. Inquiring about what address to send the lens back to, I received the following email:

QuoteQuote:
Hello Mr. Jansen,

The reason that I asked for you to confirm your address is because we are going to just ship a replacement unit to you. There is no need to return the other lens and we do not want to burden you with this. You can destroy the lens or do as you wish with it. We are not sure what happened to the lens in the packaging, but our apologies for any inconvenience caused by this. I am in the process of getting your lens right now. I will confirm and provide tracking information when it becomes available.

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

Best Regards,
PENTAX USA

On the same day, from another rep I received an email regarding my DA* 60-250. For those of you that don't know, I went to New Zealand during my deployment's midtour R&R, and on the second day in New Zealand I absolutely destroyed my K-5 and DA* 60-250. I took them under a 180m tall waterfall without realizing that the battery grip's port cover on the underside of the camera was not there, flooding the camera and lens (but don't blame Pentax's WR! The K-30/DA* 16-50 survived it as expected!) which is the only reason I acquired the K-5 IIs to replace the K-5. Anyway, the DA* 60-250 was destroyed, and after sending it to CRIS, they told me it was beyond any repair. I sent the following email to Pentax in late February:
QuoteQuote:
Ma'am,

I just received my DA* 60-250 back from CRIS and they said that the water damage incurred ruined the circuitry in the lens and they deemed it as beyond repair. Is there anyone over there I could have take a look at it before I deem it a $1000 paperweight?

Thank you, Ma'am.

Very Respectfully,
Alexander
I was told to send it in and they'd take a look at it. A week later I was told that it was being sent to CRIS, Pentax was covering the repair cost (there was no warranty on the lens mind you, and even if so, the damage would not be covered by it), and that CRIS would send it directly to me afterwards. After not hearing any updates for a few weeks, I casually inquired about the status to see if any news had just missed my inbox. It turns out that CRIS was still unable to repair the lens, but the wait was because Pentax USA was waiting for a DA* 60-250 to be shipped from the production plant to then be shipped to me. I replied in the following manner:

QuoteQuote:
Sir,

I just sent the following email to Ms. H. and I would like you to know that the same applies to you 100%:

Ma'am,

I don't know what to say. Thank you so very much. This is....I don't know what to say. And especially when considering the DA* 16-50 as well. Thank you.

And no trouble at all - I understand things happen and some of it is beyond anyone's control. However I want you to know that your office's handling of my personal grievances have been nothing short of exemplary and with aplomb.

Again, thank you.

Very Respectfully and Humbly,
Alexander
I just received the package yesterday, and both lenses, the 16-50 and the 60-250, are in brand new, perfect condition.

Thank you, Pentax USA for going above and beyond.

This is customer service.

-Heie

P.S. while I was instructed to destroy a DA* 16-50, I absolutely cannot bring myself to do it (how could I?! could you?!). Perhaps this is a calling for more dust and weather sealing video demonstrations

Last edited by Heie; 04-18-2013 at 12:50 AM. Reason: typo
04-18-2013, 12:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
I just wanted to share my experience with Pentax headquarters in Denver regarding what I consider to be absolutely outstanding customer service on behalf of Pentax USA.

I bought a brand new copy of the DA* 16-50 f/2.8 from Pentax directly to replace the copy (solely because I wanted a warranty on the lens because I depend on it so much - the lens in the giveaway is in excellent condition ) that is currently being competed for in the DA* 16-50 Giveaway. When I received it, I noticed there were some deformities on it, and submitted pictures along with a description to the person I was in contact with at the Denver (USA) Headquarters. That letter was as follows:
The images I sent were as follows:

Front Element
Attachment 168582

Another Angle of the Front Element
Attachment 168583

Impact Site and Glass Crack
Attachment 168584

Impact Site
Attachment 168585

Opposite Side of Distance Window, No Damage
Attachment 168586

I was then asked to confirm my shipping address, which prompted confusion because I still haven't sent back this copy that I had my in possession. Inquiring about what address to send the lens back to, I received the following email:

On the same day, from another rep I received an email regarding my DA* 60-250. For those of you that don't know, I went to New Zealand during my deployment's midtour R&R, and on the second day in New Zealand I absolutely destroyed my K-5 and DA* 60-250. I took them under a 180m tall waterfall without realizing that the battery grip's port cover on the underside of the camera was not there, flooding the camera and lens (but don't blame Pentax's WR! The K-30/DA* 16-50 survived it as expected!) which is the only reason I acquired the K-5 IIs to replace the K-5. Anyway, the DA* 60-250 was destroyed, and after sending it to CRIS, they told me it was beyond any repair. I sent it to Pentax back in February with the following email:
I was told to send it in and they'd take a look at it. A week later I was told that it was being sent to CRIS, Pentax was covering the repair cost (there was no warranty on the lens mind you, and even if so, the damage would not be covered by it), and that CRIS would send it directly to me afterwards. After not hearing any updates for a few weeks, I casually inquired about the status to see if any news had just missed my inbox. It turns out that CRIS was still unable to repair the lens, but the wait was because Pentax USA was waiting for a DA* 60-250 to be shipped from the production plant to then be shipped to me. I replied in the following manner:

I just received the package yesterday, and both lenses, the 16-50 and the 60-250, are in brand new, perfect condition.

This is customer service.

-Heie

P.S. while I was instructed to destroy a DA* 16-50, I absolutely cannot bring myself to do it (how could I?!). Perhaps this is a calling for more dust and weather sealing video demonstrations
Amazing stuff! I think what really helped here is that you had replied to them in a very specific and detailed, yet very polite and courteous manner. A little of that goes a long way!

Is that another DA* 16-50 to be given away?
04-18-2013, 06:27 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Also, you are THE poster child for demonstrating WR really works.
04-18-2013, 06:37 AM   #4
Inactive Account

What the? This is insane service! Sounds like a policy change has happened or maybe someone recognizes you from your work promoting the cameras. Either way Awesome!

(PS I don't mind a dented DA* 16-50! Lol, to be honest I think it is Karma for gifting the DA* 16-50 int he comp, maybe auction it in market place or keep as a backup.)

An idea on a water resistant demo, shoot someone underwater by dipping the end of the lens under the surface of a swimming pool

Last edited by Tonto; 04-18-2013 at 06:47 AM.
04-18-2013, 06:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

come ooooooooooooooooooooon! It actually sounds like not so good decisions for a company but... ok! hope you enjoy your lens. Just saw your New Zealand thread, it looks great. thanks for sharing
04-18-2013, 06:49 AM   #6

Just now i was talking with a friend about the "awkward" pentax limited lens focal distancies, and i told him there was a reason for that, unlike canon for instance, Pentax still cares about photography and it's art, it's not just business, there's still people in there that really think about the casual enduser and the photographer
canon first looks at the business part then takes care about the user, it's a "real company" that does it's job, making $$.
it's a whole diferent aproach to photography...
then i come in there to see some lens and threads and i stumble in this post of yours.... Beautiful

it's a sunny day outside, im going to take some photographs
04-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

It really gets me when people receive defective goods and their first step is to complain about it on a forum rather than politely contact the company and to give them a chance to make it right like you've done here.

I'm amazed they didn't want the defective lens back though!
04-18-2013, 01:25 PM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Now that's good news to hear, it's called customer service, something which is lacking from many companies these days.

Well done Pentax, you've got it right.

04-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I imagine a cracked focus distance cover would make it not as good for WR, but fantastic story. Can only hope that this is the start of better customer service on Pentax USA's end.
04-20-2013, 07:16 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another good outfit - Pentax Ricoh Canada

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
Heie,

Agree, Pentax 'leaned forward' and provided exemplary customer service. It's really great to hear such a positive outcome. My impression is that Pentax (and CRIS) does serve Pentax owners well with regards to making things right. No doubt, your very professional approach was well received at the other end. Who knows - maybe someone in Pentax does lurk here and knows that you're a true Pentax champion! Glad you received the replacements.

I've also had very good dealings with Pentax Canada - several adjustments and repairs have been done relatively quickly and without fuss.

- Craig