Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2013, 03:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is it time to change "kit" concept?

Now in photography industry "kit" is concept of cheep lens with average IQ.
But nowadays lenses last you much more longer than body witch change every year.
So why shouldn't beginners by cheep almost throway lens with the body that isn't cheep? Why vice versa, cheep body and good lens?

04-18-2013, 04:27 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Two reasons spring to mind - most dSLR purchases are by people who are unlikely to buy more than one additional lens and the current ubiqidous 18-55 covers a very essential range in a single lens thereby allowing the new owner to use the camera immediately.
04-18-2013, 05:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So why not a good 18-50 f2.8 lens than?
04-18-2013, 05:13 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
Much more expensive, thereby reducing initial sales.

04-18-2013, 05:14 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
1 - It will increase the "entry" price of DSLR.
2 - With a cheap kit lens, you buy a 18-50/2.8 and brand do margin on it. So providing a 2.8 lens will reduce profit and margin as you won't buy it again.
3 - Brand are here to do profit not charity !
4 - Expensive FF kit are sold with such lens Buy a 5,000$ body to get a 2.8 lens "offered"
04-18-2013, 05:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Fair enough (:
04-18-2013, 05:18 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I would guess that the most of the people who by a DSLR with a kit lens don't care enough or don't know enough about the image quality of the lens to know the difference between it and a higher quality lens. If the people buying the camera don't care then it just becomes an extra expense for the company which is passes to the buyer making the overall price less attractive than the competitor.

The idea of a camera kit, especially in the lower tier models (k-r, rebel line) is to get a functioning kit in the hands of a new user as cheaply as possible, then sell them better lenses as their abilities grow into them.

If you already have an idea of what you're doing, you probably have some glass already and you're more likely to buy body only.

TLDR; why include expensive glass and drive up the price when you can provide cheap glass to people who don't care.

04-18-2013, 05:22 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by petmis Quote
I would guess that the most of the people who by a DSLR with a kit lens don't care enough or don't know enough about the image quality of the lens to know the difference between it and a higher quality lens. If the people buying the camera don't care then it just becomes an extra expense for the company which is passes to the buyer making the overall price less attractive than the competitor.

The idea of a camera kit, especially in the lower tier models (k-r, rebel line) is to get a functioning kit in the hands of a new user as cheaply as possible, then sell them better lenses as their abilities grow into them.

If you already have an idea of what you're doing, you probably have some glass already and you're more likely to buy body only.

TLDR; why include expensive glass and drive up the price when you can provide cheap glass to people who don't care.
I agree about the buyers. I routinely see moms at soccer matches that have an expensive Canikon on a strap with a superzoom lens with no hood and sometimes with no lens cap and just walking around with it swinging in the breeze. Those are the people that buy the vast majority of the kits with lenses.

Another thought for Pentax Marketing - why not offer an entry level dSLR with a superzoom? It really is what I see most at various kid events.
04-18-2013, 05:31 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
lens with no hood and sometimes with no lens cap and just walking around with it swinging in the breeze.
Other type of those; hood always on in low light indoors, putting cap on after every shot and automatecly opened on bord flash...
04-18-2013, 06:00 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The big camera makers don't give a toss - it's about market share and what ever the suckers can be conned into buying. Canon Nikon only care about their pro customers. For everyone else once they have your money you can go to hell.(personal experience)

Last edited by Bob from Aus; 04-18-2013 at 03:52 PM.
04-18-2013, 06:24 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
The big camera makers don't give a toss - it's about market share and what ever the suckers can be conned into buying. Canon Nikon only care about their pro customers. For everyone else once they have your money you can go to hell.
Bob,

Don't hold back, tell us what you really think.
04-18-2013, 06:58 AM   #12

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I agree about the buyers. I routinely see moms at soccer matches that have an expensive Canikon on a strap with a superzoom lens with no hood and sometimes with no lens cap and just walking around with it swinging in the breeze. Those are the people that buy the vast majority of the kits with lenses.

Another thought for Pentax Marketing - why not offer an entry level dSLR with a superzoom? It really is what I see most at various kid events.
If not a superzoom, at least something a bit longer. Most people moving up to a DSLR from a compact camera are accustomed to a much longer zoom than that, 18-55mm feels so anemic - like you can take a picture of anything as long as it's within arm's reach. Yeah, that's not really true, but it's how it will feel if you're used to having at least a 12x zoom on your camera, and in many cases 24x or bigger.

If the kit lens could grow a bit longer, maybe it would feel more useable, and the 2-lens kits would have a bit of overlap so you don't have to swap lenses quite so often. Thank goodness Pentax offers the 18-135mm WR kit at least
04-18-2013, 07:09 AM   #13
Inactive Account

I think retailers do a good job of this already bundling body only with various lenses including Super zooms. Its how I bought my K7- with a Sigma 17-70 instead of the DA 18-55 WR.
Maybe Pentax need to extend the body only to the K30 if not already. And maybe a 18-270 'Deluxe' kit with a 50 1.8 prime, my favourite beginners combination. (having said that maybe the 18-135 as it is WR)
04-18-2013, 07:12 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
I think retailers do a good job of this already bundling body only with various lenses including Super zooms. Its how I bought my K7- with a Sigma 17-70 instead of the DA 18-55 WR.
Maybe Pentax need to extend the body only to the K30 if not already. And maybe a 18-270 'Deluxe' kit with a 50 1.8 prime, my favourite beginners combination. (having said that maybe the 18-135 as it is WR)
Perhaps your distributor and retailers are more creative. Only a few online retailers seem to do that with Pentax here in the US and the result is a significantly more expensive kit. If Pentax itself made a 18-200 and bundled it as a standard kit for distributors it would solve some of this issue.
04-18-2013, 07:46 AM   #15
Veteran Member

The 18-135mm is available as a kit lens in some markets. I believe the 16-45 was also available as a kit lens for a while.

I think the K-01 and 40mm XS was one of the more interesting kit combinations from any manufacturer in recent years; that pairing was the major reason I bought the kit and I may not have picked up either one on its own.