Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2013, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perfect Competition for Pentax WR Gear!!

2013 PDN Great Outdoors Photo Contest

• Plants, Animals, Insects and Gardens
  • Beaches, Islands and Underwater
  • Scenes of the Natural World
  • Outdoor Sports and Activities
  • Parks and Safaris

April 25, 2013

Professionals: $35
Amateurs: $12

* Late? Pay an additional $10 per image for the extended deadline: May 9th.

• ONE PROFESSIONAL GRAND-PRIZE WINNER will receive a Santa Fe-based workshop from the world-renowned Santa Fe Photographic Workshops, based on a Santa Fe Photographic Workshops tuition/fees credit of up to $1,500.The Workshops offer two-and-a-half day, four day and five day classes. With top-level photographers as instructors, classes are designed to offer a wide range of topics for all skill levels.
  • ONE AMATEUR GRAND-PRIZE WINNER will receive free tuition to MatadorU's Travel Photography Course and a one year subscription to MatadorAccess.
  • ALL AMATEUR FIRST-PLACE WINNERS will receive a one year subscription to MatadorAccess.
  • EIGHT PROFESSIONAL AND AMATEUR FIRST-PLACE WINNERS will each receive a $100 Adorama gift certificate.
  • ALL PROFESSIONAL FIRST-PLACE WINNERS will receive a PhotoServe.com portfolio ($860 value).
  • Winning images be printed and displayed at the Outdoor Retailer Summer Market trade show July 31 - August 3rd 2013 in Salt Lake City, Utah. The gallery will be on display for the event's 21,000 attendees which includes 1,000 outdoor brand representatives and related media players.
  • ALL FIRST-PLACE WINNERS will receive digital cameras.
  • WINNING IMAGES will be featured in PDN's August issue which has an additional print circulation to 5,000 photography industry creatives!

04-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Just entered - thanks for the heads up!

Thanks for pointing this out Doc! Just submitted - some of you may recognize the first image from my entry into the 2012 National Geographic Photo Contest where it was selected as an Editor's Favorite. It said nothing about when the photograph was captured, so I took a chance here. Also, I included three images from my recent ski trip to Austria and one from New Zealand because I felt they embodied the categories, as well as the entry fee of $12 each was pretty minimal. Across five images, especially considering the $ --> Euro conversion, I just won't go out to dinner with the girlfriend once - she'll live

OUTDOOR SPORTS AND ACTIVITIES

Descent into the Clouds - Two mountaineers prepare to make their descent on the glacier at the Mont Blanc Massif from the Aiguille du Midi.
Name:  Mt.Blanc_Mountaineers.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  87.1 KB

A Windblown Glimpse - A snowboarder jumps into the frame during a long exposure to capture the strong wind's blowing snow powder across the top of the packed snow.
Name:  IMGP0276.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  71.5 KB

Glacial Overload - Skiers and snowboarders race down Austria's glacier-covered mountain, Kitzsteinhorn.
Name:  IMGP0183.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  259.3 KB

SCENES OF THE NATURAL WORLD

Virgin Textures - Untouched snow on the backside of a mountain displays its beauty when left to itself.
Name:  IMGP0173.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  155.8 KB

Wait for it... - While backpacking on the Kepler Track in New Zealand's Fiordland, we got up early to catch the sunrise from the Luxmore Hut. It was cold, so a friend brought his sleeping bag to stay comfortably warm while we waited for it.
Name:  picture53846.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  103.4 KB

Do I have a chance at winning? I think so Realistically though...I recognize the most probable outcome to come of this is "nothing," but at the very least I can't say I didn't try. That's honestly what is most important to me

And I agree - this screams Pentax all over it

-Heie

Last edited by Heie; 04-19-2013 at 01:19 PM. Reason: typo
04-19-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Heie,
Funny, but I thought of you when I posted this thread. Good luck.
04-20-2013, 02:39 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
Do I have a chance at winning?
You've just increased your chances dramatically by even entering.

Yours are good strong images, these competitions will attract the best in photography, that said yours should hold up, good luck.