Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-23-2013, 05:24 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
who have handled my K-5 have each expressed nearly the same initial impression 'Wow, this thing is really built well!'
Yep, I have a friend who is a committed Canon shooter, L glass and 5d mkII. I handed him my k-5 and his response was "Wow, that's got some heft to it, feels nice". I could tell he had expected a 'toy' camera and was prepared to give me a condescending 'that's nice' but he was very surprised with the feel and ergonomics.

So, why aren't more people using Pentax gear? It's not the gear.
Nope, it's the sales prevention team

04-23-2013, 05:29 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So on other sites there are lots of 'fanbois' that argue their brand is better. I've been in groups where the Canon and Nikon folks were ready to have a fist fight over the gear. They vigorously defend 'their' brand no matter what.

So, what are we called? 'Anti-Fanbois'? We love our brand dearly but seem to spend more time bashing it than anything else. Maybe that's because we don't get enough notice for the Canikon folks to even bother bashing us.
04-23-2013, 05:32 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
So on other sites there are lots of 'fanbois' that argue their brand is better. I've been in groups where the Canon and Nikon folks were ready to have a fist fight over the gear. They vigorously defend 'their' brand no matter what.

So, what are we called? 'Anti-Fanbois'? We love our brand dearly but seem to spend more time bashing it than anything else. Maybe that's because we don't get enough notice for the Canikon folks to even bother bashing us.
Balanced, thoughtful, conservative, consumers. We call BS on stuff even if it has "PENTAX" plastered on it - when it deserves it. We also give Pentax the benefit of the doubt. But, we're not blind. Well, most of us anyway
04-23-2013, 05:32 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FWIW, I've had nothing but good service from Pentax Parts (1 person, actually, IS Pentax Parts), which is how I get certain Japan-only accessories. It just takes a few weeks and I have to give my CC in advance. But I get emials and phone calls, and the items arrive sooner than promised.

04-23-2013, 05:33 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
FWIW, I've had nothing but good service from Pentax Parts (1 person, actually, IS Pentax Parts), which is how I get certain Japan-only accessories. It just takes a few weeks and I have to give my CC in advance. But I get emials and phone calls, and the items arrive sooner than promised.
I forgot, mea culpa. I have not had cause to go through them because Randall has told me that the parts are unavailable from Japan in the past. But I have heard from others that Pentax USA Parts is a very positive experience.
04-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I forgot, mea culpa. I have not had cause to go through them because Randall has told me that the parts are unavailable from Japan in the past. But I have heard from others that Pentax USA Parts is a very positive experience.
We need to give credit where credit is due!! There is a core of true Pentaxians in Denver.

I think Hoya just gave Ned full liberty and Ned went for a 'no-salaries" model. My GUESS is the real point of UPP is to give PRAC the headroom to hire some Rep's.
04-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #22
Veteran Member

We need to give credit where credit is due!! There is a core of true Pentaxians in Denver.

I think Hoya just gave Ned full liberty and Ned went for a 'no-salaries" model. My GUESS is the real point of UPP is to give PRAC the headroom to hire some Rep's.
The two visible faces(voices) of Pentax Denver are each folks that I hope never to have to deal with again. Each of the other people that I have met, interacted with, from Pentax USA HQ have been informed and solid. Why has the $&(# floated to the top out there?

04-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Back to the original topic...

I recently contacted Pentax about an M42 adapter. They gave me the item number for the Pentax webstore. This item number, of course, no longer exists. (They also sent me a link for the K10D manual for adapter info...this pdf document also does not exist anymore.) 0-for-2 so far.

They then told me to contact Pentax directly instead of the web store. I sent an email to the address they gave me...which then was automatically forwarded to the webstore, which told me to contact Pentax directly, etc., etc.

I'll try a phone call tomorrow.
04-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #24
Pentaxian

I tried for 2 weeks to get ahold of that person by email and by phone. No response.
04-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ofer4 Quote
Back to the original topic...

I recently contacted Pentax about an M42 adapter. They gave me the item number for the Pentax webstore. This item number, of course, no longer exists. (They also sent me a link for the K10D manual for adapter info...this pdf document also does not exist anymore.) 0-for-2 so far.

They then told me to contact Pentax directly instead of the web store. I sent an email to the address they gave me...which then was automatically forwarded to the webstore, which told me to contact Pentax directly, etc., etc.

I'll try a phone call tomorrow.
As has been mentioned, in relation to this issue , try PARTS and you may actually get someone helpful.
04-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #26
Veteran Member

As has been mentioned, in relation to this issue , try PARTS and you may actually get someone helpful.
Indeed...will do. I just wanted to post my experience with Pentax, as it seems to be a rather typical one.
04-24-2013, 12:22 PM   #27
Veteran Member

And right on queue, I received the following email today...

QuoteQuote:
Dear Ryan,

Thank you for contacting PENTAX.

PENTAX makes the mount adapter K (#30120) to adapt older PENTAX screwmount lenses to the bayonet K mount. This adapter is currenly on back order from the manufacturer and we do not know when it will be back in stock. You might try websearching to see if you can find one.

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center at 800-877-0155.

Sincerely,
Randall S.
PENTAX RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION /
PHONE: 800.234.0276 /800.877.0155 / BE INTERESTING. PENTAX
04-24-2013, 08:26 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Randall S.:
we do not know when it will be back in stock
QuoteOriginally posted by Sgt. Schultz:
I know nothing
That email refers to Pentax as "the manufacturer"!? Pentax *is* the manufacturer ... or at least should behave as if they are the manufacturer even if they do outsource it.
04-25-2013, 10:21 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Hi, gang. Here's the response to my follow-up email...

QuoteQuote:
Dear Ryan,

Thank you for contacting PENTAX.

Mount Adapter K has not been discontinued but it is a popular item and hard to keep in stock. This is considered an accessory and is not stocked at the PENTAX Parts Department.

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center at 800-877-0155.

Sincerely,
Randall S.
PENTAX RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION /
PHONE: 800.234.0276 /800.877.0155 / BE INTERESTING. PENTAX
04-26-2013, 01:36 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It is difficult enough to deal with an organisation where the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing..... but then finding the right hand doesn't even know what the right hand is doing........
(re the emails quoted in posts #27 and #29)