Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-26-2013, 07:55 AM   #31

Original Poster
So the bottom line from credible sources is that this adapter is still in production. Either Pentax has cut back on production or the demand is so high that there isn't enough stock to go around. Or perhaps they are having QA issues since it appears to be made outside of Japan now.

Whatever the reason so much for the cynical remarks by another poster in another thread that B&H would continue to list it as back-ordered to the end-of-time even when the item had been discontinued

So those who are willing to wait and not be gouged by the inflated prices used ones go for should continue to check the Pentax Webstore or keep their back-order notification active on Adorama and B&H.

Fortunately I purchased one right after the price reduction and they were in-stock after being back-ordered for a few months. It has been in and out of inventory 2 or 3 times since then. I wouldn't mind another one to leave on a set of bellows.

07-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #32
Inactive Account

Still confused

I've been reading the above post and given the ongoing confusion I have been tempted to abandon my quest to find a genuine pentax adapter and go for one of the many third party copies. My question is:

Can anyone recommend a good third party adapter that is available in the United Kingdom or EU (i rather not pay shipping and import taxes to get it outside the EU)?

Regardless of whether or not I get an official pentax adapter or a third party one, do i need to make sure the adapter comes with the "removal tool" which I see some come with?

Many thanks
07-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thepiman Quote
I've been reading the above post and given the ongoing confusion I have been tempted to abandon my quest to find a genuine pentax adapter and go for one of the many third party copies. My question is:

Can anyone recommend a good third party adapter that is available in the United Kingdom or EU (i rather not pay shipping and import taxes to get it outside the EU)?

Regardless of whether or not I get an official pentax adapter or a third party one, do i need to make sure the adapter comes with the "removal tool" which I see some come with?

Many thanks
Pentax M42 adaptor|M42 lens| Pentax K
07-23-2013, 05:27 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think the genuine Pentax adapter includes a wrench/spanner/removal tool, because it doesn't need it. It's made well enough that you can release the locking spring with a thumbnail and remove the adapter with your fingers. Most of the 3rd-party adapters don't fit as well and may need the tool. The first thing I do with the cheap ones is remove the locking spring and screw - the spring is usually the cause of stuck adapters, and the screw sometimes sticks out so far that it scrapes the metal of the mount on the camera. I consider them part of the problem set, not the solution set.

07-23-2013, 08:18 PM   #35

I wonder if Pentax will ever make available, the wonderful accessories that we used to be able to buy.
Or we all need a friend in Japan that will buy them for us and ship them. IMHO, I think there are still accessories
available in Japan that just will not be ordered by Pentax USA.
Anyone have a good friend in Japan that will scour camera shops for us?
07-24-2013, 12:44 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Many thanks
These come up for sale from time to time on the UK Pentax forum (Pentax User). I bought both of mine through there. You could try posting a Want To Buy thread there, as there are many people who use old M42 mount lenses.
07-24-2013, 03:09 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Old Man Quote
I wonder if Pentax will ever make available, the wonderful accessories that we used to be able to buy.
Or we all need a friend in Japan that will buy them for us and ship them. IMHO, I think there are still accessories
available in Japan that just will not be ordered by Pentax USA.
Anyone have a good friend in Japan that will scour camera shops for us?
There are definitely accessories available elsewhere that are not available in the US. I've written about the challenging process by which I obtained a part that was listed in my K-x's manual as a current accessory. I essentially shamed Pentax USA into sending me one after they told me they did not exist. I will say that Pentax USA appears to be carrying more of those "unavailable" accessories now than they did in the recent past.