Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
Forum Member

Has anyone sold used equipment to Adorama?

Hi,

I am a landscape photographer and have decided to go full frame. I will be buying the Nikon D600 soon. I want to sell my K-5 along with 5 lenses, flashes, etc. I tried to get a quote from Adorama's Used Dept. but they say I have to send in the equipment first (they pay shipping), they will evaluate it, and then offer me 70% of what they think is the retail value. If I don't like the quoted price they will ship it all back to me.

Has anyone here done this? Was their offer fair? Thanks for any help you can give me!

04-23-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I haven't sold to Adorama, but I have to B&H; and was treated quite fairly. I didn't get what I could have by selling it outright, but got a fair amount more from them than I expected.
They have (or at least did, at the time) an on-line appraisal/quote.
04-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I haven't sold to Adorama, but I have to B&H; and was treated quite fairly. I didn't get what I could have by selling it outright, but got a fair amount more from them than I expected.
They have (or at least did, at the time) an on-line appraisal/quote.
You might want to take a look at KEH - they do have an online appraisal system that should give you a guide as to what to expect - I would assume as long as you are honest about the condition/description they are honest about the appraisal pricing! I think they also cover shipping as well. I haven't ever sent anything their way, but I've checked it a few times and the values seemed quite reasonable.
04-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You also might want to try selling that stuff *here.* Unless you just want the transaction done and over with, you'll likely receive closer to the selling price in private sale than *at* a place like KEH or Adorama if you do it directly. Adorama are wonderful people to deal with, but they're still the 'middleman' that needs a markup to make their part in it worthwhile. As such, they must offer you less than you could ask either here or, say, on Ebay. Upside is, they do most of the work about it.

(Also, if you didn't know, we have kind of a resident Adorama rep here, Helen Oster. She can probably offer you some kind of sense of things: And will probably turn up here before you know it. It occurs to me you've got stuff that is pretty current and in demand: personally I've tended to buy *old* stuff from them, via their used department, and to not have things worth selling. (I did get my K20d and favorite FA 50 from them too, when those were new items. No worries there. Also, B&H has an equally-good rep here, I've just been dealing with Adorama since I was looking much like Pat Benatar and squinting at their ads in the back of photo magazines. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 04-23-2013 at 12:57 PM.
04-23-2013, 11:14 PM   #5
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by wjax Quote
Hi,

I am a landscape photographer and have decided to go full frame. I will be buying the Nikon D600 soon. I want to sell my K-5 along with 5 lenses, flashes, etc. I tried to get a quote from Adorama's Used Dept. but they say I have to send in the equipment first (they pay shipping), they will evaluate it, and then offer me 70% of what they think is the retail value. If I don't like the quoted price they will ship it all back to me.

Has anyone here done this? Was their offer fair? Thanks for any help you can give me!
If you email me: Helen@adorama.com a list of exactly what you have, plus your 'phone number, I will get someone to take a look at it and give you a call with an initial estimate.

They will aim to offer you 70% of the expected re-sale value, but of course, a final figure can only be given once they have had the opportunity to physically appraise your gear.
If you would like them to take a look at your gear, they will send you a pre-paid shipping label so you can send it in for a thorough evaluation – fully insured – at no cost to you!
They receive hundreds of items every day, so generally ask you to allow up to 8 days to look over your items – especially as at least 2 (and sometimes 3) highly-skilled technicians will need to examine it.

At this point somebody will call you to make you a firm offer; if you accept it, they can send you a check right away - or you can use it as a credit toward any purchase you would like to make. Don’t forget, if you trade up for a new item, you won’t have to pay tax on the portion of the new gear to the value of your trade!
If a deal is not made, they will return the merchandise to you, fully insured, at no cost to you.

Sadly they can’t accept everything that is sent in, usually due to overstock issues, or because experience indicates that there is little demand for an item.

Finally – and this is important – the selling prices on the website can only be a rough guide if you are trying to figure out how much they might be able to pay you for your gear. When new models are released, the overall market tends to soften. Pre-owned units will usually drop in value, but the used department will still be looking to sell existing pre-owned stock without making too great a loss!