Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2013, 10:44 AM   #1

Baceolus sensor

LensRentals.com - Wavelength-Detecting Sensor Eliminates Bayer Filter, Triples Resolution

"Release in Europe and Japan is expected by early summer."
The metric light is funny.

04-24-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Color me interested. I'm using a Foveon camera as a companion to my Pentax. You can find sample pictures from me and several other users in this thread. The potential of sensor that captures full color information at every pixel is enormous. However, the Foveon sensor has limitations, as the article points out, mainly in low-light situations.

This new technology will doubtless have its own limitations, too. The article says it has limited dynamic range. I love how the marketing director shrugs it off:
QuoteQuote:
Only bad photographers are limited by dynamic range. You see this repeated on every forum on internet — problem is always bad photographer, not bad equipment.
Right. It's not his problem. You just suck at photography. What he says is true, to an extent, but nobody wants to need to take multiple exposures just to get a normal-looking picture. It can be done, but it's not practical.

I'm wondering about how power-hungry it will be, and I'm very concerned about cost. This thing looks expensive!

I'm really interested in its ability to switch between wavelengths. A camera that can capture visible light, infrared, ultraviolet, or anything else at the flip of a switch? That alone is enough to sell this camera to a lot of people, along with the ability to see through clothes. (note to self: wear thermal underwear after this camera comes out!)
04-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I OTOH don't care much about 1st April jokes. This one was quite good, though
04-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #4

Would be a cool idea, but...

QuoteQuote:
Because our system converts the electron volts into nanometers, it is calibrated for metric light and we can’t guarantee image quality in areas using nonmetric light. We hope to have a firmware upgrade that will convert electron volt measurements to inches by September or October.”
Did you happen to see the date of the post???

04-24-2013, 11:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
Color me interested. I'm using a Foveon camera as a companion to my Pentax. You can find sample pictures from me and several other users in this thread. The potential of sensor that captures full color information at every pixel is enormous. However, the Foveon sensor has limitations, as the article points out, mainly in low-light situations.

This new technology will doubtless have its own limitations, too. The article says it has limited dynamic range. I love how the marketing director shrugs it off:

Right. It's not his problem. You just suck at photography. What he says is true, to an extent, but nobody wants to need to take multiple exposures just to get a normal-looking picture. It can be done, but it's not practical.

I'm wondering about how power-hungry it will be, and I'm very concerned about cost. This thing looks expensive!

I'm really interested in its ability to switch between wavelengths. A camera that can capture visible light, infrared, ultraviolet, or anything else at the flip of a switch? That alone is enough to sell this camera to a lot of people, along with the ability to see through clothes. (note to self: wear thermal underwear after this camera comes out!)

wanna buy a bridge? here it is ....

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01400/Tower-Bridge_1400597c.jpg

Yours for only $100
04-24-2013, 12:11 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Darn it, got me good. April 1st was a long time ago. My gullibility shield doesn't last that long.

I still want one.

Last edited by scratchpaddy; 04-24-2013 at 12:22 PM.
04-24-2013, 01:14 PM   #7

Original Poster
I nearly believed it until I see the metric light stuff. It is funny that the light in the US is different from the rest of the world.
04-24-2013, 01:37 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
Darn it, got me good. April 1st was a long time ago. My gullibility shield doesn't last that long.

I still want one.
If your Latin is up to scratch, then the name of the sensor name is a dead give away!

04-24-2013, 01:47 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StephenHampshire Quote
If your Latin is up to scratch, then the name of the sensor name is a dead give away!
It's a "silly" sensor!

Now that I know it's a joke, I see that there are lots of "dead giveaways" in the article. I was just so excited about it that I overlooked all of them. Luckily, there was no money involved.

However, that bridge Smeggypants is selling looks like a great deal. Where do I send the money?
04-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Funny, but he gave it away a bit too soon.