Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #1

ISO Wheel

Just a random notion. On digital cameras with analog controls like Leicas and Fuji X series, why not add an ISO wheel where the rewind knob use to go on film cameras?

04-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes.
04-27-2013, 01:06 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twr Quote
Just a random notion. On digital cameras with analog controls like Leicas and Fuji X series, why not add an ISO wheel where the rewind knob use to go on film cameras?
I personally think it's better from an interface standpoint to integrate everything into a single dial. Back in the day, you set the ISO then loading film and then forgot about the setting. Nowadays, people change the ISO while shooting, so it should be possible to easily adjust it without looking away from the VF.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-27-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with Adam. I am automatically checking shutter speed with my 400 and [OK] + wheel and I see the ISO in the viewfinder. Perfect.

04-27-2013, 04:50 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's the only point where I miss a second (front) wheel with the K200D.

For all other functions I am using, switching the wheel function by pressing the AV button works really well
My hands are not very big, so I reach the AV button perfectly without moving the camera or my eyes.

But changing ISO with OK-button and 4-way controller is still much faster than it was with the dedicated wheel on the ME Super or Super A

EDIT: However, with these film cameras you wouldn't change ISO for just 1 or 2 shots. Different from DSLRs, using EV compensation did the job.