Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2013, 07:21 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Reports of the death of (Movie) Film are greatly exaggerated ....

Sequences of The Amazing Spider Man 2 will be shot in Rochester, NY - home of Eastman Kodak Company. The Spider Man sequel is being shot on Kodak Vision3 Color Negative Film. Click link to read the Reuters article (which is essentially a Kodak Press Release).

Reuters Article

04-30-2013, 07:48 AM   #2
Banned

Photos: Albums
CinemaCon: The End of Film Distribution in North America Is Almost Here

I'll also post later how motion picture hardware companies are already ramping down production of their last film cameras soon
04-30-2013, 08:46 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
CinemaCon: The End of Film Distribution in North America Is Almost Here

I'll also post later how motion picture hardware companies are already ramping down production of their last film cameras soon
Yes, I've read that article, too. My concern is that if movie film goes away that relegates camera film to a small-batch, art-only business, if it is to survive at all. That is I think especially true of color film. Same applies to associated chemicals and papers.

OTOH there is a burgeoning photographic art printing "Group" emerging in the Bohemian neighborhoods in St. Louis, along with the growing craft printing and lithography, fine art (and dealers), etc. Its where to go if you want fine old family portraits reproduced on film and paper and mounted to board.

I suppose I should sell my film cameras while I still can, though (if it isn't already too late).
04-30-2013, 09:08 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The market will decide if they want to consume movies shot on film or movies shot at 48fps...

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Masterclass in Why 48 FPS Fails

I just don't see film makers like Quentin Tarantino ever using 48 FPS. Michael Bay on the other hand...

04-30-2013, 09:34 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The market will decide if they want to consume movies shot on film or movies shot at 48fps...

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Masterclass in Why 48 FPS Fails

I just don't see film makers like Quentin Tarantino ever using 48 FPS. Michael Bay on the other hand...
I saw a DVD copy of The Hobbit very, very early in the game on a cutting-edge system. It left me unsatisifed and disappointed, to the point that I'm not sure I want to see the next two in the series.

I think now I know why.
04-30-2013, 12:35 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I saw the Hobbit in a normal 2D theater and enjoyed the movie. 3D kind of gives me a headache so I avoid it. The article was an interesting read. His main contention was that the 3D HFR had so much stuff in the scene that he was distracted and not able to keep up with the story. It's interesting that some of the comments were exactly the opposite. This is probably a very subjective issue. He did bring up the "Legacy Association" comments at the end. He may be right on with this. My dislike of 3D and the dizzy feeling and headache go back to the late 50's and 60's when I was just a kid and I hated it so I haven't seen any of the new 3D offerings in recent years, all because I hated it 50 years ago. Since 3D never really progressed further tells me that the vast majority of movie goers back then felt the same way. I suppose I would be considered irrational by not seeing a movie today based on a 50 year old experience but I know what to expect on a 2D screen and since I'm paying to see it, I choose to spend my money on what I'm most familiar and comfortable with.
04-30-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I saw a DVD copy of The Hobbit very, very early in the game on a cutting-edge system. It left me unsatisifed and disappointed, to the point that I'm not sure I want to see the next two in the series.

I think now I know why.
I think they went over board with computer generation in the caverns scene in an attempt to go 3D.