Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Look for photographer of image (see attached) -WARNING GRAPHIC!

Hi,

I am helping out a friend that is looking for the photographer of this image:

They want to take it to a related conference, and would also like a high-resolution version to enlarge. Remuneration can be discussed with them, I am merely assisting in tracking down him or her.

B

05-05-2013, 12:37 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Google Google Image search.

M
05-05-2013, 04:46 PM   #3
Forum Member

Hi,

you'll find this photo all over the net. The largest size is 1102×620 (e.g., http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/6112/rhinodeadpoachedrhino.jpg). I’ve check about twenty sites; no EXIF data, no IPTC, no copyright given. I'm afraid you can’t use it in the public without copyright infringement...
05-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alfie Quote
Hi,

you'll find this photo all over the net. The largest size is 1102×620 (e.g., http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/6112/rhinodeadpoachedrhino.jpg). I’ve check about twenty sites; no EXIF data, no IPTC, no copyright given. I'm afraid you can’t use it in the public without copyright infringement...
I've also seen it all over the place... I am not the one who wants to use it, but some crowd who want to use it at a conference. I will let them know, and they must decide. Just though that posting it here might help.

B

05-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Step 1) Use Tineye.

Step 2) Find a site that actually credits the photographer (rare).

Step 3) Contact the photographer/ organization that was credited, and ask them if it is their image!

NOTE: Most of the time this is not so easy, but that's a pretty iconic image. Good luck!

Last edited by panoguy; 05-05-2013 at 05:24 PM.
05-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #6
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alfie Quote
I'm afraid you can’t use it in the public without copyright infringement
Not entirely accurate.

It depends upon what year the photograph might be taken. The OP's noted photo does appear to be more recent, but... After a certain number of years it can be used as long as people are not the main subject. Also noting; if the photo as used in something such as research and/or education, as long as it could be accredited back to the original person who took the pic.
05-06-2013, 02:49 AM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteQuote:
Not entirely accurate.
True. ;-)

QuoteQuote:
After a certain number of years it can be used as long as people are not the main subject.
For work created after 1978 seventy (!) years after the death of the author... See 17 USC § 302 - Duration of copyright: Works created on or after January 1, 1978 | Title 17 - Copyrights | U.S. Code | LII / Legal Information Institute

QuoteQuote:
Also noting; if the photo as used in something such as research and/or education, as long as it could be accredited back to the original person who took the pic.
Maybe 17 USC § 107 - Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use | Title 17 - Copyrights | U.S. Code | LII / Legal Information Institute is applicable.

Last edited by Alfie; 05-07-2013 at 02:24 AM.