Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2013, 08:32 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
Also, I tried taking my laptop hard drive and plugging it into my desktop, however it had a clicking sound every 7-8 seconds. I think it is dead, but not 100% sure because the clicking isn't every second like every youtube video seems to portray
There are places where they can go so far as to remove the disc platters and put them in a new unit, avoiding the dead parts or issues of the old one. Those images are worth much more than a few hours of frustration with Windows! Google "forensic data recovery" for more.

05-08-2013, 08:42 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It was a nice read. I've already seen your work posted in the forum before but subsequently removed. I wish you success, with dedication and hard-work you can make it to nat-geo (yes you can )
05-08-2013, 08:57 AM   #18

Photos: Albums
I was going to say "don't worry, save it all for the book that you really ought to write some time" then I saw your post about losing the images! Really hope you manage to get them back, and as others have said, probably best you just leave the disk alone now and keep it safe then take it to a data recovery place when you can.
05-08-2013, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter

Thanks for the mention, Alex..

Alex,

Congratulations on the article. I was wondering when it would come out... and thanks for including the reference to me and my website. I am honored that the introduction on my website opened your eyes to the endless photo opportunities that are around us every day or night.

The best advice I can give you is to not do what I did. I once dreamed of being a professional photographer traveling the world enjoying the medium I love. I took a different road and never realized that dream. It's too late for me to pursue that dream due to comittments I will not go into here... but you, you have the chance to live your dream. Don't give up on it. Pursue it with a passion. Life is too short not do with it what you really love.

Jim

05-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Thumbs up if Heie, should be added to PENTAXIAN.com | The Community for PENTAX Users !
05-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Another vet here (13 yrs commissioned USAF C4I...), I saw NOTHING in any of your posts that would have been an OPSEC issue. Your photos did a superb job of documenting life over there, and that dumbass LT deserves a good slap upside the head with a big (frozen) fish - so it'll hurt more - for his idiotic kneejerk reactions. I'm very happy to hear you got a better reaction from higher levels...

Jim
05-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Well done on the spread, Alex! The pictures look great. And Pentax ought to send you a couple free lenses for stressing the brand's strengths so often! By the way, i emailed that magazine back in December, re your blog on this forum. When did they contact you about the article?

05-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
There are places where they can go so far as to remove the disc platters and put them in a new unit, avoiding the dead parts or issues of the old one. Those images are worth much more than a few hours of frustration with Windows! Google "forensic data recovery" for more.
QuoteOriginally posted by thechumpen Quote
I was going to say "don't worry, save it all for the book that you really ought to write some time" then I saw your post about losing the images! Really hope you manage to get them back, and as others have said, probably best you just leave the disk alone now and keep it safe then take it to a data recovery place when you can.
Did not know they could do that, and I just took both your advice and put both hard drives away for safe keeping. Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by Dynamo Quote
It was a nice read. I've already seen your work posted in the forum before but subsequently removed. I wish you success, with dedication and hard-work you can make it to nat-geo (yes you can )
Thank you Funny you mention Nat Geo - I just got an email from an editor Nothing promising, but just a simple email politely rejecting my offer to compile an article for them using my deployment stuff. I knew it was a long shot, but I figured what the hell. The thing that infuriated me about this entire situation (the above OPSEC situation), was that I had put off emailing Nat Geo about the possibility of being a guest contributor (something I learned they don't really do ) UNTIL that day. Literally 20 minutes after I sent the email to Nat Geo asking them to look at the project's Year in Review page, I was called into my commander's office and then subsequently ordered to take it down. All other emotions aside, I was professionally embarrassed and immediately regretted having pointed Nat Geo to my work.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jim Radcliffe Quote
Thanks for the mention, Alex.. Alex, Congratulations on the article. I was wondering when it would come out... and thanks for including the reference to me and my website. I am honored that the introduction on my website opened your eyes to the endless photo opportunities that are around us every day or night. The best advice I can give you is to not do what I did. I once dreamed of being a professional photographer traveling the world enjoying the medium I love. I took a different road and never realized that dream. It's too late for me to pursue that dream due to comittments I will not go into here... but you, you have the chance to live your dream. Don't give up on it. Pursue it with a passion. Life is too short not do with it what you really love. Jim
Jim,

Thank you for your kind words and encouragement. And again, thank you for penning the words that proved inspirational for me. I will do my best to heed your advice. Thank you.

QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
Thumbs up if Heie, should be added to PENTAXIAN.com | The Community for PENTAX Users !
COOL! I had no idea that even existed! I LOVE the design on the "Community" page (go to the link above and click The Community at the bottom). LOVE. IT. My only two gripes are the antiquity of the page (all of the Pentaxians' gear is *generations* old as well as the "Copyright 2008") as well as the lack of any more "Pentaxians." If they only have 4, then fine, but then have just 4 boxes, not empty boxes that implies incompleteness. But thanks for the notion, I appreciate it.

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Another vet here (13 yrs commissioned USAF C4I...), I saw NOTHING in any of your posts that would have been an OPSEC issue. Your photos did a superb job of documenting life over there, and that dumbass LT deserves a good slap upside the head with a big (frozen) fish - so it'll hurt more - for his idiotic kneejerk reactions. I'm very happy to hear you got a better reaction from higher levels... Jim
Thank you - I took an immense amount of pride in that project.

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
Well done on the spread, Alex! The pictures look great. And Pentax ought to send you a couple free lenses for stressing the brand's strengths so often! By the way, i emailed that magazine back in December, re your blog on this forum. When did they contact you about the article?
That was you?! I've been trying to figure it out this entire time! I was contacted in the latter half of December - they spared no time

Thanks again everyone

-Heie
05-08-2013, 05:22 PM   #24
Veteran Member

+1 to all of the above responses.
I think both LaurenOE and panoguy both made excellent points.
By personalising and humanising the conflict through your posts, articles and the photos I think you have provided the US Military a great service (in PR)...and of course your (term of) service itself.
Congratulations on the article and good luck with data recovery (it's got to be in recoverable!).
Cheers
Dean
05-08-2013, 05:29 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Aw man, reading that last paragraph was like a kick in the gut. We here on this forum know all your contributions, and won't forget them. I'm eagerly waiting your next set of pictures!
05-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Oh they are there alright - here's one now

Attachment 171272

Also, I tried taking my laptop hard drive and plugging it into my desktop, however it had a clicking sound every 7-8 seconds. I think it is dead, but not 100% sure because the clicking isn't every second like every youtube video seems to portray
Is it a Lacie drive by any chance. Those are notorious for failing when the exterior power supply brick goes bad. They will power up but wont sync and your description of the clicking sound is one of the common symptoms.
05-08-2013, 11:41 PM   #27
Inactive Account

COOL! I had no idea that even existed! I LOVE the design on the "Community" page (go to the link above and click The Community at the bottom). LOVE. IT. My only two gripes are the antiquity of the page (all of the Pentaxians' gear is *generations* old as well as the "Copyright 2008") as well as the lack of any more "Pentaxians." If they only have 4, then fine, but then have just 4 boxes, not empty boxes that implies incompleteness. But thanks for the notion, I appreciate it.

-Heie
I agree that this website is horribly out of date, but I see a lot of potential in it so I wrote to ask, why they are not updating it. They say that "This type of thing has our attention and we will get your comments to the appropriate place." Not exactly the type of answer I was hoping for, but maybe they are going to do something about it finally
05-09-2013, 07:32 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great article, as a former US Army Combat Engineer, I appreciate the efforts you went through to share your work and experiences, and always enjoyed your updates. They kinda "brought me back" to my time in a bit. I also saw nothing that I whought that was an OPSEC concern. In fact, I silently applauded your clear caution in that regard, and thought you had yourself covered. Sounds like your peer was not equiped to make the decision. And you can count on someone not equiped to make a decision to pretty much always make the wrong one.

I am in IT now, and concur with the others who mentioned that most or all of the data is still probably on the platters, even if the data is not accessible because of other components of the hard drive.
05-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
t. And Pentax ought to send you a couple free lenses for stressing the brand's strengths so often!
+1 to this. You can't buy such excellent publicity. I really liked how the article talks up Pentax for its weather sealing. Pentax should offer some freebies to you!
05-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #30
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Alex - thanks for posting the article, and the magazine link. I have just read the magazine article and found you were over here in New Zealand.

I hope that you enjoyed your time here, and that we all managed to look after you well. I also hope that you got some excellent photos.

If you ever come back this way, please make contact and we (Kiwi Pentaxians) will sort out some places to go to / sites for you that will give you even better photographic opportunities - within what ever specification you provide

All the best with the future, and with getting your images back off the hard drives.

Kind Regards,

Ross

Last edited by NZ_Ross; 05-09-2013 at 01:46 PM.