Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Heie, you might want to try this as a last resort; saved me a "dead" drive once.

The world's most popular free OS | Ubuntu

Burn to CD and then run w/o installing.

05-09-2013, 02:23 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Professional data recovery places can do amazing things -- you just have to pay for it...
05-09-2013, 04:15 PM   #33
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks, Alex; I've enjoyed your work in this series.

How about another visit to Down Under?
05-09-2013, 05:42 PM   #34

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dean Bradshaw Quote
+1 to all of the above responses.
I think both LaurenOE and panoguy both made excellent points.
By personalising and humanising the conflict through your posts, articles and the photos I think you have provided the US Military a great service (in PR)...and of course your (term of) service itself.
Congratulations on the article and good luck with data recovery (it's got to be in recoverable!).
Cheers
Dean
+1

It's heartbreaking to read of the disapproving reaction some of your fellows had to your images, of your subsequent having to take them down, and of the corruption of your hard drives... I hope you manage to recover all the data. Have an expert do it, there are powerful tools out there, but if you mess up, it's game over. Furthermore, do not try to read data from the drives over and over again, as this could result in further file corruption.

I also think your "photographic essays" are an asset to the US military from a PR perspective. I have not seen more persuasive evidence of the benefits of the US presence in Afghanistan! I also recall your numerous comments pointing out the precautions you took not to reveal any sensitive information. I hope it all goes well for you!

05-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #35
EKR

Concur on the data recovery

The only thing they can't recover are massively emp'd drives because that would mess with the written bits. If it is the power supply, recovery will be cheap and mildly annoying. If it is dust, it will cost more. If it is shock (vertical drop), it will be expensive but doable though it may take awhile. You may want to get someone to sponsor it though. Worst case, go the wacky route and find a university anthropologist with a friend in the materials science or computer science department at a university. Alternatively, there are military resources that could do it. You should be able to make an economic case to either one...the cost of getting the shots any other way is ridiculous. Even though Ihave only seen some of them, I feel confident saying the shots themselves are awesome and irreplaceable. I would recommend getting them back.
05-09-2013, 06:24 PM   #36
Pentaxian

I'm sure there are some data recovery people that would be sympathetic to helping out one of our servicemen (or at least giving a discount)...
05-09-2013, 07:30 PM   #37
Inactive Account

A bit of a bummer after the awesome achievement of getting published.
All I can add is to the reaction to yank your images reeks of the 'old' censorship of the military e.g. Vietnam/Korea. These types of photos are incredibly important not just as a great example of photography but as a historical record and shows the humanity of war outside the media snippets and that the military is made up of everyday individuals rather than coldblooded robots.
Ludicrous, absolutely ludicrous.

05-10-2013, 04:16 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Mate, I read EVERY ONE of your "updates"...they were awesome as a display of your belief in what you were doing & what the U.S. itself was trying to do in a very difficult situation.
For ANYONE to have anything negative to say about your efforts, or to want to hide them , or punish you etc etc etc, is quite plainly STUPID.
Best Regards..Pickles.
05-10-2013, 09:50 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kcmadr Quote
I wonder if PF has any backups going far back enough to restore the content.
@Adam, any insight here? I think these posts were of "landmark" quality in Pentax Forums history. Keeping it under the radar for now might be best (nudge, nudge, wink, wink), but reassuring Heie would be great.

And I agree with other posts...some sort of data recovery to snag the raw files is worth the investment here.
05-11-2013, 12:26 AM - 2 Likes   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you everyone! Really appreciate the compliments!

And I have both harddrives - the external and the laptop harddrive, the latter of which was doing the clicking (a Western Digital Scorpio Blue 320 GB) - safely put away for when I discover someone who can attempt to recover the RAW files. Oh, I forgot to mention, my New Zealand vacation was kept in my deployment folder on both drives, thus being corrupted as well. I learned that when I was going to submit photo number 15 to Nat Geo's current Travel Photography contest.

QuoteOriginally posted by apisto Quote
Great article, as a former US Army Combat Engineer, I appreciate the efforts you went through to share your work and experiences, and always enjoyed your updates. They kinda "brought me back" to my time in a bit. I also saw nothing that I whought that was an OPSEC concern. In fact, I silently applauded your clear caution in that regard, and thought you had yourself covered. Sounds like your peer was not equiped to make the decision. And you can count on someone not equiped to make a decision to pretty much always make the wrong one.
Ah, another Sapper - does the thought of pounding pickets give you nightmares?

No, he was not equipped to make the decision at all. But that is just what precedes a promotion, right?

Again, thank you all for the incredibly warm regards - the project has been a tremendous honor, and I am very proud of the article in the OP. By my count as of this posting, there were 514 views/downloads of the article .pdf. (If you hover over it, the view count will appear) Awesome.

-Heie

Last edited by Heie; 05-11-2013 at 01:23 AM. Reason: typo
05-11-2013, 03:17 AM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member

Heie....Mate.....you are one of a kind.....a Legend.
Thanks for your "insights".
Cheers, Pickles.
06-17-2013, 07:44 PM - 1 Like   #42

Really, it's so obvious that Pentax needs to hire Heie for marketing support.
06-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Congrats on the article! I thought you explained very well & concisely what you're doing, within the constraints of article-length limits. There's certainly a lot more that could be said about your project.
I'm sure you will succeed in whichever type of photography (or a whole bunch of them -- indeed, why limit oneself?!) you choose.
Very sorry to hear though that you had such a hassle with both the senior officer (whose bumbling will surely be overruled by someone higher up?), and with the computer drives & images. Hope everything will be sorted out soon. And, looking forward to reading about your further adventures