Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
05-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well, better to rant here than climb a clock-tower somewhere and start shooting people... "Shallow depth of field, huh, well I'll show you shallow--take this: POW! Who's next? Oh, hey, Bokeh this, skate punk!"

05-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steppenfuchs Quote
Dude needs to get laid or something.

I stopped wasting my time right after the "street photography" chapter, where dude indirectly calls HCB "morally corrupt".

Dude...

Is there an unlike button?
It took me a while. I thought "HCB" was some kind of technique that I'd not heard of. Henri Cartier Bresson, of course. For all I know, he might have staged his shots: "Psst, kid, here's a franc. Just carry these two big bottles of wine up this hill. And smile.".

The attitude "I am an artist so the rules of common decency do not apply to me" is a high-handed one that gets my back up. In most places in most countries you are breaking no laws if you photograph whatever or whoever you please. That does not necessarily mean that you are not violating social mores. Is a drunk passed out an acceptable subject? Only if he's a friend and you'll laugh about it together later. Or, my personal least favourite subject, unfortunate people wallowing in misery? Only if your purpose is journalistic and you obtain consent first.
05-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I agree with the premise here regarding the term FF, but how is that accurate? 35mm film is called 35mm because it is 35mm wide. i.e 35mm tall with the image area being 24mm tall. A, excuse the expression, FF sensor is 24mm tall, so where does the 35mm come in to play?
Thank you for that information. We still talk about 35mm cameras but I never realized that referred to the vertical dimension of the film strip.
05-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with some, and disagree with others, but did enjoy reading your rant.

The only thing that popped into my mind right away is in addition to your "Street Photography" rant. It seems that many people but a $1K+ camera, turn it to capture B&W, and shoot everything that way in city/urban settings. I just don't get it. While some images may benefit with a B&W treatment, where is the color?

05-10-2013, 06:06 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by top-quark Quote
It took me a while. I thought "HCB" was some kind of technique that I'd not heard of. Henri Cartier Bresson, of course.
I did the acronymization on purpose, to get even about time wasting.
05-10-2013, 06:47 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also too:

1. Posts that start with the word, "The."

2. Posts that are too long or too short.

3. Photos with a lot of orange in them.

4. Mispelllings.
05-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #22
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote

4. Mispelllings.
Hey, anybody can make a misnake once in a while.

05-10-2013, 07:15 PM - 2 Likes   #23
Pentaxian

There are a lot of less-than-helpful reviews in the lens database that kind of annoy me.

"I don't have this lens, but I've heard it's not very sharp. 1/10."

"Nice bokeh! Look at this flower. 10/10!"

"I BOUGHT THIS LENS ON EBAY BUT IT WAS BROKE. I AM SO MAD I MUST TYPE IN ALL CAPS. AVOID THIS LENS AT ALL COST. 1/10"

"I think this is a great lens, but people rate it too highly. I'm rating it 5/10 to offset their inflated score, but it's really a solid 8."

"i really like this lens!!! i've only had it for an hour, but i took a picture of this flower and it's amazing!!!!! 10/10."
05-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
There are a lot of less-than-helpful reviews in the lens database that kind of annoy me.

"I BOUGHT THIS LENS ON EBAY BUT IT WAS BROKE. I AM SO MAD I MUST TYPE IN ALL CAPS. AVOID THIS LENS AT ALL COST. 1/10"

"I think this is a great lens, but people rate it too highly. I'm rating it 5/10 to offset their inflated score, but it's really a solid 8."

"i really like this lens!!! i've only had it for an hour, but i took a picture of this flower and it's amazing!!!!! 10/10."
Ditto!
05-10-2013, 08:32 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quite a rant there...

The thing I really hate it when Lens is spelled as Lense - I really could strangle people who do that with their own intestines.

Last edited by Digitalis; 05-11-2013 at 03:17 AM.
05-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
there are a lot of less-than-helpful reviews in the lens database that kind of annoy me. "i don't have this lens, but i've heard it's not very sharp. 1/10." "nice bokeh! Look at this flower. 10/10!" "i bought this lens on ebay but it was broke. I am so mad i must type in all caps. Avoid this lens at all cost. 1/10" "i think this is a great lens, but people rate it too highly. I'm rating it 5/10 to offset their inflated score, but it's really a solid 8." "i really like this lens!!! I've only had it for an hour, but i took a picture of this flower and it's amazing!!!!! 10/10."
roflmao
05-11-2013, 01:31 AM   #27
Veteran Member

a button "report this post" is indeed missing in the review section
05-11-2013, 01:57 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Quite a rant there...

The thing I really hate is when Lens is spelled as Lense - I really could strangle people who do that with their own intestines.
Me too (well, not the "strangle with intestines" bit - that's reserved for people who bang on about equivalence). It's not as though there aren't plenty of correctly spelt examples of the word to point them in the right direction.
05-11-2013, 05:33 AM   #29

+1 to that scratchpaddy.

On the opposite side of "creamy bokeh", "sharp as tack/tak" bugs me for some reason.

I think 35mm equivalent is useful though. I think there needs to be a common reference point when talking about different sized sensors. For example, how do you explain to someone different field of views?
05-11-2013, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #30
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by top-quark Quote
Photography-related phrases that I've grown to hate
Nothing like a happy man, much like yourself doing street photography, using his portrait, crippled mount lens @ F1.2 for creamy bokeh on his equivalent, Full Frame, Canikon,Toy Camera.

Here all used in no specific order.
Closed Thread