Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
05-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Wish someone would be prepared to pay $7500 for my pictures.
Well, now you know what you have to do. The guy has given you a template for insta-art and profit.

05-20-2013, 08:55 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
At the same time, isn't this pretty close to photographing homeless people on the streets as you're braking their "sanctity of home"? At the same time people from there goes to the art gallery to applaud voyeuristic photos of others themselves. Is this project something I consider very interesting? Not at all, it's a pretty lazy way to earn a living but I think he has a point about it being like a stage for the upper class.
05-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #18
Inactive Account

I wondered how long it would take for this item to hit the forum.
05-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
"Art" is often garbage. The photo examples certainly don't strike me in any way as worthy of note, nor of $7500.

"Art is what artist says is art." Marcel Duchamp.

I think photos are great. There is no privacy violation, cause less you know these people very intimately you can not recognize them. I think shots are great and actually worthy of 7500$. Do you dare to accuse Henri Cartier Bresson for being creepy and violating privacy cause taking picture of couple kissing?

If you buy yourself apartment in glass cube - where you have no walls, just glass inside of city - you probably have a strong tendency to exhibitionism (cause if you can effort such ap. you have enough intelligence to know - consider how much you exhibit and show of yourself in such circumstance).

Being scandalized that someone makes art of it is for me hypocrisy. With creepiness, kids in picture and US sexual issues...come on!!! If I would follow ideas which I heard so much from my US colleagues and business theories, they are happy for advertisement and 15 minutes of fame.
....glass cube...study development of ideas in architecture...but it looks self-explanatory - transparency and sharing to outside world....

05-25-2013, 04:08 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
“A grown man should not be able to photograph kids in their rooms with a telephoto lens."

Then pull the shades - this is Manhattan for Christ's sake.

On the other hand...

“I am not unlike the birder, quietly waiting for hours, watching for the flutter of a hand or a movement of a curtain as an indication that there is life within.”

BS you are just another shadowy wank'r operating under the cover of "Art".
He is questioning human nature as a artist photographer for more than 20 years....and very successfully... I do not know how respected you are, but this "wank'r" is very respected worldwide.

Unspeaking Likeness
About Face
Faggots
05-25-2013, 07:55 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by em-tx Quote

I think photos are great. There is no privacy violation, cause less you know these people very intimately you can not recognize them. I think shots are great and actually worthy of 7500$. Do you dare to accuse Henri Cartier Bresson for being creepy and violating privacy cause taking picture of couple kissing?

If you buy yourself apartment in glass cube - where you have no walls, just glass inside of city - you probably have a strong tendency to exhibitionism (cause if you can effort such ap. you have enough intelligence to know - consider how much you exhibit and show of yourself in such circumstance).

Being scandalized that someone makes art of it is for me hypocrisy. With creepiness, kids in picture and US sexual issues...come on!!! If I would follow ideas which I heard so much from my US colleagues and business theories, they are happy for advertisement and 15 minutes of fame.
....glass cube...study development of ideas in architecture...but it looks self-explanatory - transparency and sharing to outside world....
Nope. Art isn't whatever anyone wants it to be. As for his status, PT Barnum summarized it well - there's a sucker born every minute.
05-26-2013, 02:49 AM   #22
Veteran Member

In other words Art is whatever Marcel says it is.

this "wank'r" is very respected worldwide.
In that case, clearly, I must be wrong. After all he is a respected wank'r.

Last edited by wildman; 05-26-2013 at 03:22 AM.
05-26-2013, 02:31 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
In other words Art is whatever Marcel says it is.

In that case, clearly, I must be wrong. After all he is a respected wank'r.
@ Wildman

Duchamp shaped art of 20 century. Groundbraker challenging narrow minds and pave way for such people of as this photographer or light works of Eliasson.

I wonder who gave you right to judge in such a way and do not respect Duchamp? Did your art travel the continents, did you make people cry or laugh, to think, did it get them angry?...at least once?

@DOCRWM

You comment on Duchamp and 21st century art with mind of US 19 century bussinesman/showman ( - "I am a showman by profession...and all the gilding shall make nothing else of me,"[2] and his personal aims were "to put money in his own coffers."[3]"-), with mindset far more "conservative" than later US society's which credited "Ulysses" as indecent and censored, so it could not be printed in US? You got to be kidding mate!
05-26-2013, 03:39 PM   #24
Veteran Member

The "artillati" will pay thousands for whatever junk art happens to be in vogue. However, even if these were great works of creative art, the subjects don't have a leg to stand on. If you live in a house with floor to ceiling and wall to wall windows... PULL THE BLINDS or be prepared to be seen and recorded/photographed.
05-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #25
Pentaxian

I remember years ago going out for a walk for my then girlfriend a true brit, would stop at houses, especially the ones close to the sidewalk, and look in the window for decorating ideas. I swear at times there were people in there performing for us. Where I live now, you can't see in my windows without coming on my property and meeting 4 dogs and then getting up on a ladder high enough to see in, as it's got a walk out basement. I like it that way. Seriously folks, people like my ex assume that if your blinds are open, you're up for a little fun. Personally it always embarrassed me. And then on rare occasion, it astounded me, as in once when the conversation between us went something like "is she doing a strip tease for us? Does she do this for everybody? Holy shoot." There are some really different takes on this looking in the window thing.
05-27-2013, 05:05 AM   #26
Veteran Member

You simply have a heightened and prudent sense of privacy Norm... Some people don't care or just don't think about people looking in their windows. Frankly, if you live on a busy street in a "city that never sleeps" and you don't have blinds or curtains, or don't close the ones you have, you better get used to being viewed by strangers. Even discounting someone like this photographer, you will be viewed "casually" on a frequent basis.
05-27-2013, 07:32 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
The "artillati" will pay thousands for whatever junk art happens to be in vogue. However, even if these were great works of creative art, the subjects don't have a leg to stand on. If you live in a house with floor to ceiling and wall to wall windows... PULL THE BLINDS or be prepared to be seen and recorded/photographed.
I disagree, this is just plain creepy. Just because you enjoy a bit of natural light in your home shouldn't make your family fair game for every voyeur with a telephoto lens.
05-27-2013, 07:41 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monoloco Quote
I disagree, this is just plain creepy. Just because you enjoy a bit of natural light in your home shouldn't make your family fair game for every voyeur with a telephoto lens.

Yes, in almost all of the modern world in fact it does.
05-27-2013, 07:51 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Yes, in almost all of the modern world in fact it does.
I'm sorry, but there is a big difference in the ethics of walking by a home with the windows open and glancing in, and hiding in the shadows with a 500mm telephoto lens taking photos of someone's family.
05-27-2013, 08:09 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monoloco Quote
I'm sorry, but there is a big difference in the ethics of walking by a home with the windows open and glancing in, and hiding in the shadows with a 500mm telephoto lens taking photos of someone's family.
Not really. The basic premise is that if you want privacy then close your blinds. Holds true if I am using Mark I eyeballs of a Canon L series 500mm lens as long as I can see it from a public space or my own private space.