05-17-2013, 08:02 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Secret Telephoto Photography

05-17-2013, 08:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

"Art" is often garbage. The photo examples certainly don't strike me in any way as worthy of note, nor of $7500.
05-17-2013, 08:19 AM   #3
Pentaxian

While I understand these folks feelings about the sanctity of their homes, I still keep hearing, "People in glass houses..." in my head. There's a reason drapes were invented.
05-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
If you don't close the drapes/blinds then you cannot complain about someone seeing you. No misconduct here that I can see.

On the other hand, I don't see anything so great about his photos either.

05-17-2013, 09:01 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The creepiness of the photographer combined with the entitled stupidity of the apartment dwellers make for a cluster worthy of the 21st century.

M
05-17-2013, 09:07 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
The creepiness of the photographer combined with the entitled stupidity of the apartment dwellers make for a cluster worthy of the 21st century.

M
Don't forget the absurdity of the NYC "Art" scene.
05-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

and I get weird looks for having a camera on a non-tourist street

What kind of camera and lens was he using, though? To make such large prints, probably in dim light..

05-17-2013, 11:57 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I went to the site of the gallery and they have many (all?) of the prints in the exhibition in a little slideshow. Ethics aside, several of them are quite good I think...
05-17-2013, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

“A grown man should not be able to photograph kids in their rooms with a telephoto lens."

Then pull the shades - this is Manhattan for Christ's sake.

On the other hand...

“I am not unlike the birder, quietly waiting for hours, watching for the flutter of a hand or a movement of a curtain as an indication that there is life within.”

BS you are just another shadowy wank'r operating under the cover of "Art".

Last edited by wildman; 05-17-2013 at 01:48 PM.
05-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
“A grown man should not be able to photograph kids in their rooms with a telephoto lens."

Then pull the shades - this is Manhattan for Christ's sake.

On the other hand...

“I am not unlike the birder, quietly waiting for hours, watching for the flutter of a hand or a movement of a curtain as an indication that there is life within.”

BS you are just another shadowy wank'r operating under the cover of "Art".
Double Amen!
05-17-2013, 03:58 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Has nobody here seen the Hitchcock movie "Rear Window"? It never fails to amaze me how some people expose themselves to the gaze of others then have the gall to shout about it when they do.

As for the creepiness of the photographer, I don't think you can assume that curiosity about human behaviour is tantamount to perversion. Perversion may accompany curiosity, but it isn't necessarily so. How many people do you know, who go to a busy place and say "I just love to watch how people behave"? Being an observer hiding in the open in itself isn't that much different from hiding in the shadows, but try recording your observations in the former case and you'll get objections from some (though the size of your equipment can be the spark for things turning ugly, as we've discussed elsewhere). If you wish to capture natural behaviour, though, you invariably have to do it without the subject being aware, which is where the discussion starts to get tricky.
05-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry Rob the ends don't always justify the means. Even in art.

M
05-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Sorry Rob the ends don't always justify the means. Even in art.

M
I didn't say they did. What I did say (or imply) was that it isn't fair to judge someone's motives using a blanket set of assumptions.
05-18-2013, 12:16 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Now that there is a "controversy" and the story is in the news everywhere, somebody may well be willing to pay several thousand for one or more of these photos. A "controversy" is always a very good tactic to get people to spend money on questionable art. I know I sound cynical but I wonder how much of this is planned marketing?
05-18-2013, 02:34 PM   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Wish someone would be prepared to pay $7500 for my pictures.