Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2013, 08:30 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Have you considered setting up your own web site? It's not as difficult as it seems. I have found A Small Orange to be an excellent and affordable hosting service. Aperture exports my photos as nice web pages.

Last edited by harmonica2; 05-19-2013 at 08:54 PM.
05-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by harmonica2 Quote
Have you considered setting up your own web site? It's not as difficult as it seems. I have found A Small Orange to be an excellent and affordable hosting service. Aperture exports my photos as nice web pages.
I did look at that option a while ago. I was considering FatCow, which looks pretty similar to A Small Orange. I decided not to, since they say in their terms of service that you shouldn't use their domain for storage, just hosting. But maybe that wouldn't be a problem? I don't plan on putting all my pictures online, just some of the really good ones. I don't know. It might be fun to try a more from-scratch approach.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adinfinitum Quote
I will be very interested to see where you go scratchpaddy
My Nikon buddy's interested, too. He's getting back into actual professional photography, and he's looking for a place where his clients can preview his pictures. Looks like there's a lot of great options for that, even if you don't like Flickr (he doesn't). Choices, choices...
05-19-2013, 10:01 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I have images stashed all over as I've tried out different sites. When it comes to sharing with family and sports teams and such, I use Shutterfly. It lets you upload full res pics and create different sharing sites for different needs. For example, I have a password protected share site for close family pics and an invitation only site for hockey teams that let's other parents upload too. It's not geared toward making me a profit but it is easy for others to buy prints or download full res images if they want.
05-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use the free membership on deviantart.com, but as you say it's full of teenage (or preteen despite their ToS...) angst and anime wannabee art, and the percentage of real artists has been steadily dropping for years. Plus, DA is blocked by my work's webfiltering software, so I can't see anything on those (rare ) occasions when I check things during the day. Mostly I stay because I'm too lazy to move all my pix elsewhere. And, I've never really found one I like any better.

05-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #20
Veteran Member

+1 to Google Plus photos. You can store full resolution photos upto 15gb in storage (which is combined with Gmail and Google drive). The best part is that you can store unlimited photos as far as the long edge is limited to 2048 pixels. That's plenty for web viewing. Also, I've found their web view much better than others and the photography community is buzzing on Google+.

Take a look at some new features they added recently - https://plus.google.com/photos/whatsnew

You can take a look at my album here - https://plus.google.com/photos/114674573384152500153/albums/5880094094380874049

You don't need Google+ account to see public photos.

EDIT: Flickr today announced free 1 TB storage for everyone. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/225470-whoa-new-flickr-relea...e-storage.html

Last edited by RonakG; 05-20-2013 at 03:29 PM.
05-20-2013, 05:01 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by RonakG Quote
+1 to Google Plus photos.
...the photography community is buzzing on Google+
+1 to the photographic community. It has to be the single biggest theme on the network.

QuoteOriginally posted by RonakG Quote
I was just about to post this same article. 1TB is hard to turn down. I'm yet to read the fine print but I'm wondering if they still have restrictive monthly upload limits of 300mb? It would take a long time to reach 1TB at that rate. It does look much more slick now though.
05-20-2013, 05:43 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adinfinitum Quote
I was just about to post this same article. 1TB is hard to turn down. I'm yet to read the fine print but I'm wondering if they still have restrictive monthly upload limits of 300mb? It would take a long time to reach 1TB at that rate. It does look much more slick now though.
No limits or anything. We now have free 1TB of storage on Flickr at at max 6.5mp. I'm just loving this move from Yahoo. They are back with a bang. Now the ball is in Google's court. Yahoo played the same trick with Google. Most people moved to Gmail when Google came up with 1gb storage.

The competition is heating up. Expect new storage plans from all major photo hosting sites in coming monts.