Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2013, 06:50 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I like it. They will continue to get my $25/yr.

05-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I wonder what their estimates are based off of. I don't think 240K 16MP photos will fit within 1TB. Are they talking at max compression?
05-20-2013, 08:17 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wish there was a way for me to choose the size of the tiles.
05-20-2013, 08:50 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can see the benefit of the new designs, and I know Yahoo had to find some ways to monetize available content.

On a landscape-format monitor, you have to scroll down to read photo descriptions. Descriptions on sets and collections display only one line unless you hover over them. Collections are pretty much hidden, and editing sets without thumbnail or detail view will be a lot slower. The new slideshow doesn't have speed controls or allow captions, and the slow-motion zoom on every picture can't be turned off. The tiled interface is painful on a slow network, and bombs on some browsers. I've got ten months left until renewal, but right now I think I need to look for another service. I'm not mad, just disappointed to lose features I paid for and used for six years.

So far as the "free" storage goes, remember: if the product is free, YOU are the product.

05-20-2013, 09:26 PM   #20

I left Flickr a few months ago for G+ but I did keep the account open, just inactive. I think this move may entice me back and to rebuild my portfolio. I think it looks a great improvement from old design.

And I have to agree with earlier comments, 1TB can only encourage other sites to improve their storage limits
05-20-2013, 11:35 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Time for a rant.

After playing with the new site, I find it stupid, bloated and sloppily designed. The UI is poorly considered and creates work for users where there was no work before - eg why should visitors to my photostream be greeted with a tiled display of hundreds of my photos, and only once they scroll-scroll-scroll-scroll-scroll-scroll-scroll to get to the bottom of the first page can they move to page two.

Plus a big fat fixed-height header, and multiple layers of menus at the top, at the side and at the bottom of the page is just amateurishly extravagant. I can't even see some of my images above the fold anymore. And the EXIF summary for my images it is no longer on display on the image page, but requires a new click.

The new site design is also a massive bandwidth hog now, and also designed on the assumption that everyone is using a 27 inch monitor set at 3000 pixels wide and 2000 pixels tall or something.

Just stupid teenage webmaster design arrogance - I can hear the new designers saying 'it works fine on my big Mac monitor on my high-speed unlimited downloads Internet account, so what's the problem'.

And to have dead links on the user homepage after a major launch is just sloppy and unprofessional: for example, login, click the 'Edit' menu, go to the handy old link at the bottom of the page that says:

Did you know you can change the layout of this page?

and bingo:

QuoteQuote:
Page Not Found

Oops! Looks like you followed a bad link.
If you think this is a problem with Flickr, please tell us.
Here's a link to the home page.
05-21-2013, 01:20 AM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adinfinitum Quote
And I have to agree with earlier comments, 1TB can only encourage other sites to improve their storage limits
Did you mean "I have to agree with earlier comments, 1TB of free storage can only encourage people to upload any old rubbish and bring down the average quality of the site."

I had unlimited storage for $25/year. Flickr's old pricing encouraged you to do so as there were limits on free accounts. Now there is no incentive to pay because it's twice the price, and all you do is remove the ads for that.

The comments that were part of the community are hidden behind 'click here for more comments' links even when there is room to show them and you only get two lines to comment in - albeit the box scrolls down as you type, but still it doesn't encourage considered opinions to be expressed, just comment son the level of the average facebook comment.

That combined with the Facebook-style mosaic and the effectively unlimited storage means I fear flickr will become the worst of a combination of Facebook and Photobucket.

They might as well have changed the name to 'that site that people used to upload photos to' while they were at it.

Also, where the hell are my sets? I want those next to my pictures when you look at my profile.

I am Pro (well, I'm not now, there is no such thing as Pro now) so I can renew at the old Pro rate for as long as Yahoo decide that they have to let me before I decide it's too much effort to move and make me pay $50 for something that used to be better and half the price. Don't imagine for a moment that if you are Pro now it will remain half the price it is for everyone else. The pricing model suggest that showing you adverts is worth $50 to them, so they won't let you avoid them for $25 forever.

05-21-2013, 04:04 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Northern Soul Quote
That combined with the Facebook-style mosaic and the effectively unlimited storage means I fear flickr will become the worst of a combination of Facebook and Photobucket.
And throw in a dose of Tumblr...

I suppose we'll get used to it, but so far a lot of the things I do on flickr are now hidden in sub menus and so on. And I wonder what it will look like at work, on the antiquated browser we are allowed to use.
05-21-2013, 04:19 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I just discovered a problem with the new design. If you want to go to the links to help etc on the bottom of the main page you have to be quick. Every time you scroll down to the bottom the page loads more pics and updates causing the menu to disappear down again.
Help is available from the menu under your avatar in the upper right corner. The links are available from the help page...
05-21-2013, 04:23 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I can see the benefit of the new designs, and I know Yahoo had to find some ways to monetize available content.

On a landscape-format monitor, you have to scroll down to read photo descriptions. Descriptions on sets and collections display only one line unless you hover over them. Collections are pretty much hidden, and editing sets without thumbnail or detail view will be a lot slower. The new slideshow doesn't have speed controls or allow captions, and the slow-motion zoom on every picture can't be turned off. The tiled interface is painful on a slow network, and bombs on some browsers. I've got ten months left until renewal, but right now I think I need to look for another service. I'm not mad, just disappointed to lose features I paid for and used for six years.

So far as the "free" storage goes, remember: if the product is free, YOU are the product.
Editing a set is the same as it ever was for me...

As far as being the product, that's what Flickr has always been about. Create a huge database of photos and get the users to add their own tags...
05-21-2013, 06:35 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
As far as being the product, that's what Flickr has always been about. Create a huge database of photos and get the users to add their own tags...
Hmmm. Seems we are in part the product here at pentaxforums as well
05-21-2013, 07:22 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm now looking at ipernity. It's like old flickr, plus you can upload documents.
05-21-2013, 07:35 AM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

Gaack! I hit my main page to find that it's displaying photos and comments back to 2007! But no groups/sets. Yikes!

The monetization and inept site design seem aimed at substantially reducing the number of visitors and users - and aggravating those who are left.

Perhaps they, like Microsoft, will realize that they need to rethink some things. It early days to throw too many rocks. Perhaps there are easy ways to configure the functionality to suit our needs.,

But the defaults .... yikes!
05-21-2013, 07:43 AM - 2 Likes   #29
Veteran Member

I will give them a little time to iron out the bugs, but overall I'm not happy. At first glance, the photostream looks nice. But I really don't like how all the photos are jumbled up together. Give us a bit of white space! It is confusing to the eye, IMO.

I don't like how I have to go into Edit view or click each photo individually to see how many views or favorites a photo has. That info used to be readily available.

The comments section under each photo is a mess. Who wants to see only the last four comments and have to keep clicking links to "view more comments" over and over? That is asinine.

The exif info is now gone from the photo page. You have to click to another page to view exif. Having that info readily available was one of their "newer" features that I really liked. Now it's gone.

Ipernity does look intriguing. Problem is, I have so many photos and friends on Flickr I really have invested a lot in it. I do not have the bandwidth or desire to upload all those photos some place else. If I move, it will just have to be a fresh start from this point on. It would be a real shame. Hopefully, they'll listen to the more constructive feedback and make some changes that will improve the site without making it quite so garish and hard to navigate.
05-21-2013, 10:47 AM   #30
Pentaxian

I like the direction the changes are moving towards. I hope to see further tweaking over the next few weeks.

For starters, the initial interface with banner and long photostream is great on a fast connection and large screen. It needs work to be usable on smaller screens and slower connections. The menu items down at the bottom of the screen should be relocated to a top menu (yes, I can hover over my avatar and click "help" to get to a smaller page but it's non-intuitive and if my connection is slow don't add more page loads) and the top banner should be smaller.

The new Sets screen feels like a big improvement. I always liked the Sets functionality but didn't care for the old appearance.

I like the way photos auto-resize when they are opened. The extra scrolling to get to the comments could use finetuning; show all comments instead of just the most recent few.

The Photostream and Sets should provide a way to always show the photo titles and comment counts. The default interface requires a mouse-over every photo and I don't see a setting to change that behavior.

The mobile site m.flickr.com has not changed yet. I wonder what's in store for that.