Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2013, 07:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Price for Exclusive Use of Photo?

Hello everyone, I've been contacted from a renewable energy company that manufactures large wind turbines. One of the executives saw a photo I took that had their turbines in the distance.

I haven't replied back yet as I have not really sold any photos before, except to family and friends.

I am wondering what I should charge for both exclusive use and non exclusive use. I really have no idea and thought I should ask the experts to help.

Here is the photo in question. There was strange light that day with very dark skies on 3 sides.

05-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
Pentaxian

If it were me, I would charge $150 for every placement where they used it. You should keep the copyright.
05-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You should ask them what the usage is going to be. Is this image going to be a part of a $1,000,000 ad campaign with lots of printed brochures? Ask for more. Is the image going to be web-only? For that you wouldn't ask as much as for a massive print campaign.
05-21-2013, 05:05 PM   #4
ghl

You sold photos to family and friends? It would seem you have no problem finding a price.

05-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

1. What is the intended use? Advertising? Corporate literature? They just want a big print to hang in the office?
2. Exclusive for how long? Exclusive for 1 year? 5 years? Forever?
3. How many copies of this print will be in circulation?
4. Do they want internet rights or just print?

Get the print copyrighted ASAP. Its not uncommon for a company to ask first, refuse to pay, and then use the image anyway. IF they tell you "NO" keep a close eye on the company website and literature.

What you charge is up to you and how they will use your image. If nothing else charge enough to buy fotoBiz ? Photography Business Management Software then you can use the pricing software as a guide on future opportunities.
06-01-2013, 09:44 AM   #6
Banned

Select the use that matches your need to calculate prices.

Stock Photo Price Calculator
06-01-2013, 11:02 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
The short answer is as much as you can reasonably get away with.

What sort of budget do they have in mind and what's their usage of the image.