Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2013, 09:11 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Weatherproofed Camera Systems

In my search for a camera with some reasonable weather proof build and a few of the lenses I came to some interesting observations. I've read countless forums and watch many YouTube videos on testing weatherproofing, ex:

Murder atempt:

Atempt of killing spree:

A massacre atempt:

Nikon D7000:

Nikon D300:

Nikon D600:

Honorable mention to Sony A77 (because it has only one lens thats officially eclared weather sealed so it's not much use other then landscape and a few portraits):

What I didn't include is Canon EOS 5D Mark II because it has little to non weatherproofing and here's an article about that issue: Antarctica 2009 - What Worked

Without further adieu let me give you a list of what I managed to find, for comparison, that is available to buy and is marketed as weatherproof/resistant, splash and/or dust proof/resistant:

Here is the link if you wish to download of safe keeping ?!?

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Some cameras has the same amount of weatherproofing as some of it's brothers/sisters. ex:

Olympus E-5 = Olympus OM-D E-M5

Pentax K-5 = Pentax K-30

Nikon D800 = Nikon D3x/D4

Canon 5D Mark III = Canon 1D MarK III/Mark IV/ 1D X

On the left are the lenses and on the right are the cameras and all the prices are from Italy (by the site of www.trovaprezzi.com) and those in $ are from

I also color coded for easier comparison:

Weight: Length: Filter Thread: Price:

>300 gr. >5 cm >49mm >250 Euros = Blue

>600 gr. >7.5 cm |52 + 58mm >500 Euros = Green

>900 gr. >10 cm |62 + 67mm >750 Euros = Yellow

>1200 gr. >15 cm |72 + 77mm >1000 Euros = Orange

<1200 gr. <15 cm <82mm <1000 Euros = Red

In my opinion the best weatherproofed systems are Olympus and Pentax nad by a large margin compared to Nikon & Canon and some may scream where is the proof in that but all I want to point the fingers at others own experience and opinion over this forum and many others. I don't want to start a brand war, we have enough of those anyways, and if I did that it was not my intention.

An observation has occurred o me that Olympus Four Thirds system has the best weather sealed cameras and lenses but if you compare them with the other competitors you will notice that, unfortunately the smaller sensor doesn't give you smaller, weatherproof, body and neither smaller or lighter lenses and most certainly that cheaper. And you may say that the lenses are faster but given the smaller sensor you lose that advantage in terms of light sensitivity (ISO performance). And only the Micro Four Thirds give you true-er light weight, small size lenses and camera body. I love the build quality of the Four Thirds system and I was and will always be in love with a camera like Olympus E-5 (best weatherproofing, tilt-swivel LCD, big viewfinder) but, to me, it seems that it has no advantage in terms of price/build quality/performance/value as does other APS-C systems and all the former competitors, like Pentax K-5, Nikon D7000, are half the price that Olympus E-5 is now.

You may or may not agree the need for weatherproofing but there are people who go on a beach to take photos and don't want to worry about the dust thrown by the ball in your lens, the waves splashing on your camera and enjoy the shooting and not worry the worst. And there are many examples I could give you.

Some don't want to go professional sized cameras, some don't want to get notices (creeps ? :P), some may not enjoy heavy weight lenses and cameras BUT all of us enjoy a little more protection for our hard earned money. And even thou there are no standards to what and how much is weatherproof a little bit is always welcomed.

"It's better to have it when you don't need it then to not to have it when you need it"

I hope you may find this useful in some way, like it did to me.

05-22-2013, 08:52 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's an interesting post. I have a K10, DA* 16-50 weather resistant combination, and I've never worried about getting it wet, except for keeping rain drops and waterfalls off the front of the lens.

On the other hand, I've never worried much about weather with anything else. I just use the equipment.