Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2013, 11:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photography major? Don't expect the big bucks.

10 Worst-Paying College Majors - Careers Articles

Photography (and Film/Video) is among the 10 worst paying college majors.
QuoteQuote:
9. Film Video and Photographic Arts
Starting Salary: $30,000.
Unemployment Rate: 12.9 percent.
No real big surprises on the list.

The worst?
QuoteQuote:
1. Drama / Theater
Starting Salary: $26,000.
Unemployment Rate: 7.8 percent.
One thing they don't mention is that a Bachelors degree in ANYTHING can give you a significant leg up over mere HS grads if you branch out into a more lucrative field. I've made tons more as a computer guy than I ever have as a photographer despite having a BA in Photography. That BA has been an advantage when competing for jobs with people who have lesser degrees.

05-29-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
Pentaxian

What, no English majors on the list? Or is that lumped under one of the other catergories?
05-29-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
Pentaxian

..or, all the photographers are working without giving receipts if you know what i mean.. tax free..
05-29-2013, 03:25 PM   #4

Man, I'm doomed.
I was doing a BA in English and Social Sciences (so Anthropology and the likes) but switched to Film/Video/Photo&Graphic Design so I got a BA in that instead, and I'm now trying to get into a MA Photo... wouldn't have won even if I tried..

05-29-2013, 04:21 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hooverfocus Quote
Man, I'm doomed.
On the other hand, you have a bunch of cameras and are in Paris..
05-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
On the other hand, you have a bunch of cameras and are in Paris..
I do and I am. It didn't happen overnight, though. (And as far as Paris goes, right now it's just temporary).
05-29-2013, 06:31 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
10 Worst-Paying College Majors - Careers Articles

Photography (and Film/Video) is among the 10 worst paying college majors.
9. Film Video and Photographic Arts
Starting Salary: $30,000.
Unemployment Rate: 12.9 percent.

One thing they don't mention is that a Bachelors degree in ANYTHING can give you a significant leg up over mere HS grads if you branch out into a more lucrative field. I've made tons more as a computer guy than I ever have as a photographer despite having a BA in Photography. That BA has been an advantage when competing for jobs with people who have lesser degrees.
One question about these statistics..... Where do the numbers come from? Most of us are self-employed and can never file for unemployment (we don't qualify). Dept. of Labor statistics only reflect people who are employed as photographers as salaried employees and that is a pretty small group of people.

A self-employed photographer does not count in Dept. of Labor statistics as a photographer. Footnote (1) at the bottom of Dept. of Labor.
(1) Estimates for detailed occupations do not sum to the totals because the totals include occupations not shown separately. Estimates do not include self-employed workers.

Most people graduating with a BA are going to have to assist for a year or two and probably can't expect much in the way of wages for the first few years.