Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2013, 05:34 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's the age of digital devices so every former print media organization has to adapt, from newspaper through to books.
As an author myself all my new books are now targeted for both traditional paper as well as digital versions, those being ebooks and or applications...

The rise of the smart phone and tablet have made all of this possible. Now with the huge improvements in broadband consumers want high definition video...

Will be interesting to see where it all takes us...

06-01-2013, 05:43 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's the same way here in Sweden. Nearly all newspapers are going more and more with stock photos and asks for free readers content for news. They are almost becoming like paper versions of Wikipedia.
06-01-2013, 05:55 AM   #18
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Assignment Desk

Share your story about one of these topics in the news and it may end up on CNN!
CNN iReport Assignment Desk
https://twitter.com/cnnireport

BTW three years ago NJ.com posted my photo and video of a 777 Continental jet dumping fuel over N.J. after the landing gear was stuck after take off. The top photo is really a frame grab from my video (bottom) that was posted to youtube.
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/05/continental_jet_dumping_fuel_o.html

QuoteQuote:
FAA probes whether damaged tire contributed to cause of Continental flight's emergency landing
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/05/faa_probes_whether_damaged_tir.html

777 pilot ATC audio:
https://www.box.com/shared/3ccex1l5ki

Last edited by jogiba; 06-01-2013 at 06:13 AM.
06-01-2013, 08:20 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Those official channels are "advertising" rather than "reporting". It's sports so doesn't need in-depth coverage, but imagine if the only information about Congress came via political parties' Youtube channels. We need independent news organizations to hold government and corporations accountable. Youtube isn't enough.

06-01-2013, 09:19 AM   #20
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Those official channels are "advertising" rather than "reporting". It's sports so doesn't need in-depth coverage, but imagine if the only information about Congress came via political parties' Youtube channels. We need independent news organizations to hold government and corporations accountable. Youtube isn't enough.
If you want the latest news and sports just go to the source on the internet with any device.
NASCAR Sprint Cup Series | NASCAR.com
http://www.nascar.com/en_us/mobile-promo.html
https://twitter.com/apnewsbrk
https://twitter.com/Reuters
Google News
Yahoo! News - Latest News & Headlines

Last edited by jogiba; 06-01-2013 at 11:08 AM.
06-02-2013, 04:59 PM   #21
Banned

Original Poster
Chicago Sun-Times trains reporters to shoot with iPhones !

"The Sun-Times business is changing rapidly and our audiences are consistently seeking more video content with their news," the paper said Thursday. "We have made great progress in meeting this demand and are focused on bolstering our reporting capabilities with video and other multimedia elements."
Chicago Sun-Times trains reporters to shoot with iPhones after laying off all its photographers | The Verge
06-02-2013, 09:16 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by tlong423 Quote
So very true.

My degree (gotten in the 1980s) was in photojournalism. It is both depressing and appalling to watch the death of journalism, and it all dovetails so well with the larger decline in public institutions and politics -- even at the local level. I am frequently amazed at the dreadful abuses of power and financial malfeasance that goes on in municipal governments. I say "amazed" because it sure didn't used to be that way; there used to be reporters present in those city council meetings, but now there are no such reporters to send to those meetings. "Citizen journalism" is really pretty silly unless you are talking about something like the rare disaster coverage or police brutality (and even then you are only going to get someone's cellphone video). This republic is really going to suffer without journalists holding leadership accountable.
Journalism isn't dead or dying. It's simply changing. I'm pursuing a MA in Digital Journalism (aka New Media Journalism) right now. Citizen journalism has its place and uses, but there will always be a need for professional journalists. The difference is that now the need is for multimedia journalists instead of just print journalists or photojournalists. Newspapers aren't the only game in town.

06-03-2013, 04:59 AM   #23
Banned

Original Poster
There was a good discussion on this on TWiT TV (This Week in Tech ) yesterday that is the following video starting at the 07:10 mark :
This Week in Tech 408 | TWiT.TV
06-03-2013, 09:12 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Meanwhile, the flickr camera finder is an interesting thing to look at:
Flickr: Camera Finder

If you click on any 'real' camera manufacturers -- I looked at Canon, Nikon, Pentax -- you see a general downward trend, accelerated in the last month, specifically when Flickr made the changes.

Clicking on the iPhone does not show the same trend.

One can draw one's own conclusions...
06-03-2013, 03:22 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Meanwhile, the flickr camera finder is an interesting thing to look at:
Flickr: Camera Finder

If you click on any 'real' camera manufacturers -- I looked at Canon, Nikon, Pentax -- you see a general downward trend, accelerated in the last month, specifically when Flickr made the changes.

Clicking on the iPhone does not show the same trend.

One can draw one's own conclusions...
There is a lot of interesting data there and you have to wonder how representative the Flickr user data is to market in general.

The Sony A99 doesn't even show up in the statistics. It that because people who use the A99 don't use Flickr? The A99 is a sales dog and nobody bought one?

I find it interesting that a primarily consumer/enthusiast photo-sharing site has so much activity for the Canon 5DII. The Full Frame is dong pretty well. Even the expensive Sony RX-1 is surprisingly high given its cost and that it is a fixed lens.

The Pentax K-01 isn't even on the list of Pentax cameras. The K-5/K-5II/K-5IIs is doing pretty well. The K-x and K-10D are both surprisingly high given their age.
06-03-2013, 05:15 PM   #26
Banned

Original Poster
The Sony a99 is with the "Sony Full Frame Cameras DSLR-a900 / DSLR-a850 / SLT-A99 " group on Flickr.

Flickr: The Sony Full Frame Cameras DSLR-a900 / DSLR-a850 / SLT-A99 Pool
06-03-2013, 05:54 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
The Sony a99 is with the "Sony Full Frame Cameras DSLR-a900 / DSLR-a850 / SLT-A99 " group on Flickr.

Flickr: The Sony Full Frame Cameras DSLR-a900 / DSLR-a850 / SLT-A99 Pool
But the Sony statistics show the A900 (#51) separate from the A850 (#53).... SO they do track the cameras independently. The A99 is not on the list at all.
06-04-2013, 07:06 AM   #28
Veteran Member

For some reason Sony's Exif comes out as Sony XXX-0000 for the A99, I spot checked a few on flickr
06-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The situation is sad for the staff photogs, but like other people have mentioned it is what it is. Cameras are all over the place whether they be from smart phones or dedicated bodies. To me, most press photos look like snapshots anyway, but I argue there is still a great need for quality reporting. And although the internet has revolutionized how people get their news, it's still lacking in accuracy and quality reporting. Case in point, in the aftermath of the Boston Marathon bombing, an innocent person was receiving the blame thanks to Reddit and Twitter:

Story: How Twitter and Reddit got it Wrong

Times are changing and both newspapers and photographers need to adapt, or they'll go the way of the dinosaur.

Last edited by einstrigger; 06-04-2013 at 02:06 PM.
06-04-2013, 05:09 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tlong423 Quote
So very true.

My degree (gotten in the 1980s) was in photojournalism. It is both depressing and appalling to watch the death of journalism, and it all dovetails so well with the larger decline in public institutions and politics -- even at the local level. I am frequently amazed at the dreadful abuses of power and financial malfeasance that goes on in municipal governments. I say "amazed" because it sure didn't used to be that way; there used to be reporters present in those city council meetings, but now there are no such reporters to send to those meetings. "Citizen journalism" is really pretty silly unless you are talking about something like the rare disaster coverage or police brutality (and even then you are only going to get someone's cellphone video). This republic is really going to suffer without journalists holding leadership accountable.
I'm not sure. I think journalism has let many citizens down over the years. In my area I've noticed that media, newspaper only go after tax supported organizations such as police, hospitals, education,...also politicians.

I rarely see any investigative stories going after private business...and I think that's because of the media concern about losing advertisers or potential advertisers.

Political stories seem in many cases to have a hidden agenda...representing more of political views held by different political parties....which are characteristic of the deep, divisive polarization that has many a democracy in it's grip.

I think information and the way we (citizens) of the world will get it has changed greatly. In order for the average person to separate the wheat from the chaff....they need to be able to assess the evidence....do due diligence in checking the sources of 'news'. I don't think journalism has done the job for many years now...if it ever did.

Will newspapers be around in 15-20 years. Don't know. Worse though....is many people won't really care.