Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2013, 11:45 AM   #1
Banned

Chicago Sun-Times lays off entire photo staff and is now using more video !

QuoteQuote:
According to a report in the Chicago Tribune, the Chicago Sun-Times has laid off its entire photography staff, and plans to use freelance reporters and photographers in future to save costs. The layoffs, which are believed to take effect immediately, were announced to the 28-strong photo staff on Thursday morning. In a statement issued by the paper, it suggested that the move was in response to a demand for 'more video content' from its audience.
Chicago Sun-Times lays off entire photo staff: switches to freelancers: Digital Photography Review

05-30-2013, 11:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ooooooooouch...
05-30-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
Pentaxian

One more step in the death of newspapers. You can't print video.
05-30-2013, 01:08 PM   #4
Banned

Original Poster
Amateur journalists create jobs for professional ones

QuoteQuote:
Far from shunning “shaky footage”, audiences think users’ videos more intimate and authentic than broadcasters’ slick shots, says Claire Wardle of Storyful, a firm that spots and verifies user-generated content. “If they don’t show it, people will go to YouTube to see it.” Journalists covering big news stories are getting better at scouring social networks for sources. And thrusting news firms have tried to outdo their competitors by building systems that encourage readers to submit material to them directly.
Citizen journalism: Foreign correspondents | The Economist

05-30-2013, 01:22 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
One more step in the death of newspapers. You can't print video.
No, but for a digital market you can embed HD video just as easily as a Jpeg. Half the population of Chicago probably can't read articles anyway, so video is the future.....
05-30-2013, 01:22 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Like just about anything on the Internet, the issue for readers/viewers of citizen journalism/photography/videography is authentication. Of course, many people don't care about authenticity, as long as it feeds their particular prejudices, otherwise the Murdoch empire would be long gone. With established systems of reportage, though, the discerning reader could come to a view of the reliability and integrity of a newspaper or television channel or commentator, but the sheer weight of numbers of online commentary makes all but the most extreme impossible to judge adequately.

This trend may succeed for news outlets desperate to stay alive in the online age, but will it allow truth to suffer further in the search for breadth rather than depth in reportage, and in order to balance the books?

Last edited by RobA_Oz; 05-30-2013 at 04:08 PM.
05-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
A desperate move from a business that knows it's been circling the bowl for a while now and getting closer and closer to the drain.

05-30-2013, 03:43 PM   #8
Banned

Original Poster
Chicago Sun-Times lays off photography staff as part of push toward more online video

QuoteQuote:
The Chicago Sun-Times laid off its entire full-time photography staff Thursday, including a Pulitzer Prize winner, in a move that the newspaper’s management said resulted from a need to shift toward more online video.

The union representing many of the laid-off photographers plans to file a bad-faith bargaining charge with the National Labor Relations Board, a union leader said.
Chicago Sun-Times lays off photography staff as part of push toward more online video - The Washington Post
05-31-2013, 07:45 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
This trend may succeed for news outlets desperate to stay alive in the online age, but will it allow truth to suffer further in the search for breadth rather than depth in reportage, and in order to balance the books?
So very true.

My degree (gotten in the 1980s) was in photojournalism. It is both depressing and appalling to watch the death of journalism, and it all dovetails so well with the larger decline in public institutions and politics -- even at the local level. I am frequently amazed at the dreadful abuses of power and financial malfeasance that goes on in municipal governments. I say "amazed" because it sure didn't used to be that way; there used to be reporters present in those city council meetings, but now there are no such reporters to send to those meetings. "Citizen journalism" is really pretty silly unless you are talking about something like the rare disaster coverage or police brutality (and even then you are only going to get someone's cellphone video). This republic is really going to suffer without journalists holding leadership accountable.
05-31-2013, 01:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

It's the further dumbing down of society:
Everyone has a camera/camcorder (their cell phone), therefore there is no need to pay any pro to get that same coverage.
Everyone has a blog, therefore lets not pay journalists.
That mentality is prevalent nowadays:
Flickr: "No such thing as professional photographers anymore" :: Wetpixel.com
05-31-2013, 03:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Sad day indeed. But it has been forewarned.
I got my degree in journalism. Worked over 15 years as a reporter/writer in print, but I saw the writing on the wall some 15 years ago. I bailed. I am in a better place although I miss the newsroom. With the internet, newspaper economics and the loss of integrity we are in a different world and will be worse for it.
I feel for the photo staff. I was part of a newspaper merger where we spent close to a year under the microscope wondering whose jobs were secure. I made it through the crossover but sadly some good people and reporters did not. It was a difficult time.
These folks seemingly got little notice. That is rough. I wish them the best.
05-31-2013, 06:51 PM   #12
Veteran Member

How are they going to cover sports? I guess the Cubs in-house photographer will provide all the shots from now on. Ditto the Bears, Bulls, Fire, and White Sox.

Here is the original iPhone comparison page that is referred to in the article.
How does the iPhone 5 camera compare to previous iPhone cameras?
05-31-2013, 07:54 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I saw it coming.
06-01-2013, 05:03 AM   #14
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
How are they going to cover sports?
It's now 2013 not 1990, sports is covered on youtube now.
Official Channel of MLB.com - YouTube
NASCAR - YouTube
National Hot Rod Association - YouTube
ESPN - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/user/pgatour
06-01-2013, 05:24 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That YouTube video doesn't look to have been shot by your average punter with a phone camera. Apparently serious video is still the preserve of the professional.

PS: anything to do with what passes for sport these days is serious – and all about money and image.