Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2013, 11:24 AM   #1

Pentax GH3 in auction

Pentax Lumix DMC GH3 Mirrorless Digital Camera Black 885170103887 | eBay

05-31-2013, 11:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ricoh's latest product. Joint venture with Panasonic. Now all the Pentax crybabies can cool it with their "Pentax is doomed" threads.
05-31-2013, 11:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Ricoh's latest product. Joint venture with Panasonic. Now all the Pentax crybabies can cool it with their "Pentax is doomed" threads.

05-31-2013, 12:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've never really looked at the GH3 before but it has some interesting features. Function 1-5 buttons? I assume configurable. Two control wheels. Drive modes on a wheel. Built in wi-fi? Weatherized body. Touch screen swivel LCD. WB, ISO, compensation buttons. Red button, record video??

Adding 'Pentax' to the listing seems a bit odd though, if I was spamming keywords to drive traffic I can think of a couple of other brands that might work better.

05-31-2013, 12:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great for video!
05-31-2013, 01:12 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Adding 'Pentax' to the listing seems a bit odd though, if I was spamming keywords to drive traffic I can think of a couple of other brands that might work better.
Exactly my thoughts. I see a lot of listings that say "Nikon Sony Canon NEX" at the end, but Pentax?

I did see a lens mislabeled as "Pantex" once. Sounds like some kind of feminine hygiene product to me. On later research, I found out that there actually is a company called Pantex. They make and and maintain the entire stockpile of nuclear weapons in the U.S.. None of this had anything to do with the lens being sold.
05-31-2013, 01:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I've never really looked at the GH3 before but it has some interesting features. Function 1-5 buttons? I assume configurable. Two control wheels. Drive modes on a wheel. Built in wi-fi? Weatherized body. Touch screen swivel LCD. WB, ISO, compensation buttons. Red button, record video??

But are any of the lenses WR?
05-31-2013, 01:37 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
But are any of the lenses WR?
Oddly, yes: Amazon.com: Panasonic H-HS12035 LUMIX G X VARIO 12-35mm/F2.8 ASPH X Series Lens: PANASONIC: Camera & Photo

Pentax is doomed..............

05-31-2013, 01:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It would have been nice if this wasn't a Buy it Now and the mislabeling led to a cheap price. It's a very nice camera. I had the chance to play with one recently and I really loved it. It supposedly takes exemplary video, but I am not a video guy and didn't test that. If Pentax could put out something like that, for video, they'd have a real winner on their hands.
05-31-2013, 02:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Pentax pricing on that lens too at $1200!
05-31-2013, 02:39 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It occurs to me, (I occasionally have the odd thought) that 2 years ago Pentax could proudly declare that they had a commanding position in WR lenses and bodies, at least in affordable cameras. Since then Pentax has done little to market that advantage but the competition has recognized a selling point and moved quickly to take advantage of it.

I expected a certain amount of regrouping after the Ricoh purchase but it is sad to see a truly marketable advantage with clear cut features simply be ignored as the competition glides past. WR was one of those marketing concepts that PR folks dream of, easily explained, simple to sell, no competition, and difficult to refute. I can come up with a dozen ad campaigns...........

Sorry for straying off topic, but in my defense I did not mention the FF word.
05-31-2013, 02:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member

It occurs to me, (I occasionally have the odd thought) that 2 years ago Pentax could proudly declare that they had a commanding position in WR lenses and bodies, at least in affordable cameras. Since then Pentax has done little to market that advantage but the competition has recognized a selling point and moved quickly to take advantage of it.

I expected a certain amount of regrouping after the Ricoh purchase but it is sad to see a truly marketable advantage with clear cut features simply be ignored as the competition glides past. WR was one of those marketing concepts that PR folks dream of, easily explained, simple to sell, no competition, and difficult to refute. I can come up with a dozen ad campaigns...........

Sorry for straying off topic, but in my defense I did not mention the FF word.
You're not off topic. We just had a new member join who has been shooting film and 4/3 and FF Leica with a purchase of a K-5IIs + 16-50 & 77 because he saw a K-7 that did not photos and is WR, he said he bought because of the combination of quality images and the WR. I told the story of being at NASA for a launch and everyone but a pro or two and I running for cover with the downpour. One of the pros was trying to be nice in suggesting I run too, until I said my gear was WR and he got interested and came over and asked a lot about the K-5. Look at the attention Heie's videos got. Now if they would just do Limiteds with new coatings that are WR and market the heck out of them!