Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-01-2013, 01:16 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
I need to find that link...
You probably also read the abstract of their paper.

The "journalists" should be ashamed of themselves.

06-01-2013, 02:37 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
So the Q with a graphene sensor will be the future camera,if resolution matches the sensitivity... or M43 for those with larger hands...FF will be DOA,except for the 1%
Unless there is a break through in small lens resolution, large sensors are always better in whole image resolution.
06-01-2013, 06:20 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vodanh1982 Quote
Unless there is a break through in small lens resolution, large sensors are always better in whole image resolution
Not really. In the days of film, medium format and 35mm formats had better lenses - larger format cameras lagged behind in terms of lens design because lens resolution wasn't the biggest limitation to resolution - diffraction was, and still is problematic with large format. Only in the last 10 or so years have large format lenses started to match and in certain cases exceed 35mm and medium format lenses in terms of resolving power. But a majority of the lenses that are capable of that have some limitations of their own as they often have a smaller imaging circle.
06-01-2013, 07:41 AM   #19
Forum Member

steal this technology

Good- then hopefully someone can hack into their system and steal(borrow) this technology for their own use as it seems is done by Chinese gov't. hackers.

06-01-2013, 08:49 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
You probably also read the abstract of their paper.
That's the page.
06-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NYNOIR Quote
hopefully someone can hack into their system and steal(borrow) this technology for their own use as it seems is done by Chinese gov't.
FELON, n.

A candid man of affairs. A person of greater enterprise than discretion, who in embracing an opportunity has formed an unfortunate attachment.
06-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #22
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Graphene photodetector is the revolution in world of sensors

http://www.nature.com/ncomms/journal/v4/n5/full/ncomms2830.html
News Detail

Not only is the graphene sensor 1,000 times more sensitive to light than current low-cost imaging sensors found in today’s compact cameras, it also uses 10 times less energy as it operates at lower voltages. When mass produced, graphene sensors are estimated to cost at least five times cheaper.

The sensor will be ready in 2 years.

P.S.
Graphene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by ogl; 06-02-2013 at 12:16 PM.
06-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Surely this is why Pentax has not released a FF camera. They are waiting on this sensor. /sarc
06-02-2013, 12:58 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Surely this is why Pentax has not released a FF camera. They are waiting on this sensor. /sarc
I knew it ... I knew it ... I knew it ... / more sarc
06-02-2013, 01:29 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Somebody should really create a website where they keep track of all these revolutionary breakthroughs in imaging technology or touted software features and checks back on them in 2, 5, and 10 years. It would be interesting to see which ones pan out and which ones were pure hyperbole.
06-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
http://www.nature.com/ncomms/journal/v4/n5/full/ncomms2830.html
News Detail

Not only is the graphene sensor 1,000 times more sensitive to light than current low-cost imaging sensors found in today’s compact cameras, it also uses 10 times less energy as it operates at lower voltages. When mass produced, graphene sensors are estimated to cost at least five times cheaper.

The sensor will be ready in 2 years.

Dude. Something like the fifth time today. And it's 1kx better than current graphite sensors. It still sucks compared to CMOS and it most def will not be ready in two years.
06-02-2013, 02:22 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks ogl for posting.
Perhaps its also easier to make a curved sensor from it (I don't dare to mention FF).
Several lens manufacturers have already filed patents for lenses that are optimized for curved sensors, so they see it as viable option.
06-02-2013, 02:31 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Dude. Something like the fifth time today. And it's 1kx better than current graphite sensors. It still sucks compared to CMOS and it most def will not be ready in two years.
Well, I think the OP is excused. The statement that the the new graphene film sensor is 1,000 time better than current low-cost (whatever that is) imaging sensors actually comes from the Nanyang Technological University's news release (second link in the original post). But true, the abstract from Nature only claims an improvement of some 860X over current graphene (not graphite) monolayer films.

Anyway, some day there will come something better than current silcon based CCD- and CMOS sensors and who knows, what that will be?

I remember that when I took my first steps in photography in the sixties, I was very concerned when I read, that soon there wouldn't be enough silver to meet the growing demands for photographic film. Nobody spoke about charged coupled devices as a possible solution then - but imagine, if somebody had done so!
06-02-2013, 02:37 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Ooh, very interesting! I'm glad to see that there are still completely new frontiers in digital sensors
06-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Why would you need a fast lens when there is more than enough light for these new sensors with smaller apertures?
Narrow DOF