Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-07-2013, 07:00 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You get what you measure

There is a well known effect of metrics and measurements: if these become publicised (i.e. by management at your company, by enthusiast magazines, by the government, etc) they become behavior drivers.

But often enough, the resulting behaviors have perverse consequences. The measurements are very often selected because a) they are easy to make b) they appear related to some area of performance and c) they seem objective. This is metonymy.

In hi-fi the magazines measured THD and watts. The manufacturers embarked on a THD and Watt war. We didn't get better sound; we got amplifiers designed to do well on the standard tests.

At one point in my company we measured on time project delivery. There was fear of punishment if a project was late. The result? 98% on time rate. Industry norm? maybe 1/3 of projects finish when originally planned. We didn't get better projects; we got project managers who learned to manage target dates.

So what does this have to do with photography? I'm grumbling about auto focus.

What are the measurements measuring? Speed of acquiring focus, and low light focus ability, and a count of focus points. All else being equal, these are fine things to pay attention to. But we are starting to get designs that seek to maximize performance in these tests, since these numbers sell cameras.

What happens is the center spot becomes larger in order to become more sensitive, so the camera can focus on a test target in near total darkness. Great, but the trade off is uncertain focus placement in portraiture when using the center spot - it is too large to pinpoint the eye, or the photographer has to learn how to place the spot just so...

We also get systems where actual photographic usability suffers - I want to be able to have a mode where I can select the point of focus easily and quickly, have positive feedback where the focus point is, and have the camera focus exactly at that point. This sort of test can be made and standardized, but it is not easy and quick to perform and present as a graph or number.

06-07-2013, 08:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
So what does this have to do with photography? I'm grumbling about auto focus.

What are the measurements measuring? Speed of acquiring focus, and low light focus ability, and a count of focus points. All else being equal, these are fine things to pay attention to. But we are starting to get designs that seek to maximize performance in these tests, since these numbers sell cameras.

What happens is the center spot becomes larger in order to become more sensitive, so the camera can focus on a test target in near total darkness. Great, but the trade off is uncertain focus placement in portraiture when using the center spot - it is too large to pinpoint the eye, or the photographer has to learn how to place the spot just so...

We also get systems where actual photographic usability suffers - I want to be able to have a mode where I can select the point of focus easily and quickly, have positive feedback where the focus point is, and have the camera focus exactly at that point. This sort of test can be made and standardized, but it is not easy and quick to perform and present as a graph or number.
I have the same pet peeve. I sent a manifesto to Pentax about it. I don't think they care, but I tried.
06-07-2013, 08:23 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
... "I want to be able to have a mode where I can select the point of focus easily and quickly, have positive feedback where the focus point is, and have the camera focus exactly at that point."

That's manual focus. Try it.
06-07-2013, 10:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well written, good points. Websites like snapsort especially encourage this. But its hard to compare without measurements, hard to critique without concrete numbers. I agree with your overall point, though. It would be great if Pentax could focus on photography, instead of "winning the review battles"

06-07-2013, 10:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

"What happens is the center spot becomes larger in order to become more sensitive, so the camera can focus on a test target in near total darkness."

Is that true?
06-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The Pentax's center point is huge compared to the competition, and does very well in the dark.

Don't know that it proves anything, but a large (AF) sensor is much better in low light than a small sensor,for the same reason large imaging sensors are better than smaller imaging sensors.
06-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
we are starting to get designs that seek to maximize performance in these tests, since these numbers sell cameras.
The very definition of "success" in a capitalistic market system. Rational market behavior does not necessarily = good.

06-07-2013, 11:19 AM   #8
Pentaxian

My job involves tracking performance metrics for a government agency. Ever hear the story of a fire department pushed to improve 911 response time every year? Eventually, aggressive driving led to more firefighters being hurt on the way to fires than in fires.

It happens with helpdesks too. Techs get evaluated on how many tickets they close. So, a dead PC generates dozens of tickets, one to replace the hardware and a separate ticket for each piece of software needed on the new PC. Word, Excel, Outlook, Visio, Project, Powerpoint equals 6 tickets.
06-07-2013, 11:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
The Pentax's center point is huge compared to the competition, and does very well in the dark.

Don't know that it proves anything, but a large (AF) sensor is much better in low light than a small sensor,for the same reason large imaging sensors are better than smaller imaging sensors.
I don't know about "does very well in the dark".

The current k-5II does very well in the dark. The previous k-5 didn't do as well in the dark. I don't think there is a AF point size difference between the two.
06-07-2013, 11:26 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
... "I want to be able to have a mode where I can select the point of focus easily and quickly, have positive feedback where the focus point is, and have the camera focus exactly at that point."

That's manual focus. Try it.
People used to say this and I'd kind of hear "wah wah wah", then I got my A-400. Now, I'm starting to look for lenses that work well MF. With MF I can select a spot in front of a bird where there is nothing to focus on. You have to ask, is there an AF system that will focus on nothing? But you can do that easily manually, and then snap back to an eye focus, not at 51 stinking focus points, but anywhere in the frame, without selecting anything but a slight movement of the focus ring. If there was an A* 200 ƒ4 I'd snap up the first one I saw. The combination of FL and weight would be awesome.

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding why everyone wants to do auto-maticly what is so easy to do manually.
06-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
"What happens is the center spot becomes larger in order to become more sensitive, so the camera can focus on a test target in near total darkness."

Is that true?
I don't know for sure! but trying to find out.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/177572-all-fuss-about-auto-focus-point-size.html

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/nikon-focus.shtml

Last edited by Nesster; 06-07-2013 at 11:44 AM.
06-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm having a bit of trouble understanding why everyone wants to do auto-maticly what is so easy to do manually.
LOL, because if I'm going to auto focus, I'd like it to work for me, instead of the other way around. I'm lazy that way.

I run into a similar situation with auto exposure vs manual -- I have to approach the thing in two very different manners. And with auto exposure I typically forget to apply brains to exposure compensation.
06-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
LensRentals.com - Autofocus Reality Part 3B: Canon Cameras

this article has some very interesting info
06-07-2013, 12:17 PM   #14
Pentaxian

You get the same thing with standardized testing in Education. You get whole schools focused on preparing for Standardized tests so they look good on province wide results that are published. They would actually walk into my photography class and give me booklets, so once or twice a week we could work on preparing for standardized tests in math, english and reading comprehension. The smart kids were totally bored and totally disengaged. Every other subject suffered and each passing year I could actually teach less and less of my assigned subjects. But my school was rising star on the test scores. In the 5 years before standardized testing was brought in, we put one student every year into either Sheridan or Ryerson to continue on in photography, some years two. After the standardized testing craze started, not one in 10 years. But the school was a "better" school, at least in the newspapers.
06-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Since I started out in photography with a manual camera which had a split prism viewfinder, to this day I focus in the center and reframe my shot if I need to. After taking pictures for over 50 years, I'm not going to change now. What do I want in auto focus? Get it right as quickly as possible. Most specifications don't really mean much to me. Is 50 auto focus points really more accurate than 10 or does it mean the camera has 40 more points to get it wrong? I'm waiting for a "bird in flight" spec. and the camera/lens that will nail it 98% of the time.