Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-08-2013, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Inside one of Venezuela's most dangerous prisons

Photographer Sebastian Liste and journalist Jorge Benezra spent over a week inside the Vista Hermosa prison, one of the most violent centers of incarceration in Venezuela
It interested me for personal reasons since as a Venezuelan I am always interested in news from the homeland. But I was also interested in the images from a photographic perspective.
Just wanted to share and wondering what others think about the images.

On the Inside: Venezuela’s Most Dangerous Prison - LightBox

06-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for that – gripping. Great work.
06-08-2013, 03:21 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I know it's a prison, but the phrase "letting the inmates run the asylum" comes to mind.

Very interesting article and pictures. Thanks for the link.
06-08-2013, 06:50 PM   #4

Intense.

06-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Very interesting and quite an original take on the subject. It's very balanced and shows everything from the violent anarchy to the search for joy and humanity in a sadistic place.
06-08-2013, 08:34 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I can get the first 2 pictures to load, and that's it.
06-09-2013, 07:09 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
On seeing that, I would like to think the re-offending rate in Venezuela to be low, as the thought of going back there can't be too appealing.

06-09-2013, 07:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
On seeing that, I would like to think the re-offending rate in Venezuela to be low, as the thought of going back there can't be too appealing.
Well, scientific research mostly tells the same story, scaring possible offenders with inhumane punishments have a low effect on crime rate and sometimes even negative one. Death penalties and inhumane punishments are just easy "solutions" to make it look like you're fighting crimes, so it's a common practice by people in power to encourage instead of going to the core with the problem. It's like trying to solve bad acne by pinching the pimples.
06-09-2013, 07:41 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
a low effect on crime rate and sometimes even negative one
That's surprised me, well it would have a positive affect on me, I'd not want back in there for sure.
06-09-2013, 07:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

That's surprised me, well it would have a positive affect on me, I'd not want back in there for sure.
Well, are you person one the verge to become a lifestyle criminal? It has an effect one the ones not really in the risk zone of criminal behavior, but that is really missing the target. The lifestyle criminals are more often than not people loving to take risks, focused on the present and not really ones who spends time projecting themselves in situations if things goes wrong. A high risk, high reward person won't be scared off that easily by the risk factor, they will just look for a higher reward to compensate for the risk instead.

Look at the sports world. People who often get punished during games actually often don't minimize that behavior, but increases that instead. The ones that try the most spectacular moves will continue doing so even though they get burned at times. The less risk-taking persons on the other hand tries to minimize a behavior if punished, but they already tried to do it before.
06-09-2013, 02:09 PM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
It has an effect one the ones not really in the risk zone of criminal behaviour
That's good to know then, that means I'm one of the good guys.

Your very knowledgeable about such matters, I assume it's maybe something to do with your profession (outside of photography), thanks for taking the time and sharing both your knowledge and insights here with me.
06-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #12
Veteran Member

That's good to know then, that means I'm one of the good guys.

Your very knowledgeable about such matters, I assume it's maybe something to do with your profession (outside of photography), thanks for taking the time and sharing both your knowledge and insights here with me.
Too much spare time, too much reading, too much interest in some parts of politics, too many people around me into politics (that just spews out false things that I feel the urge to correct), to much interest in the human mind and once again most of all too much free time! It's a hobby but I'm very interested in it. Don't trust me 100%, do your own studies. But I can promise you that I am somewhat correct at least!

I'm hoping to begin studying political science together with national economics with some added psychology and environmental research in the autumn. I can come back to this thread after my real studies!
06-10-2013, 01:49 AM   #13
Pentaxian

A very strong set of pictures. Wanted to show them to my wife, but decided not to. Would probably make her cry again, in seeing and reading how bad it is in her home country
06-10-2013, 02:01 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Thanks for the link ... very powerful images and story ... J
06-10-2013, 01:51 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing, looking through it now. Intense.