Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-10-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Justin Bieber and entourage sued by photographer

A Florida photographer, Jeffrey Binion, is suing Justin Bieber and at least one of his bodyguards for what amounts to assaulting him and brandishing an illegal firearm and stealing a memory card after Bieber objected to Binion taking his photo and directing his crew to make him stop.

Photographer Roughed Up By Bodyguard Sues Bieber
Justin Bieber?s bodyguard has been accused of threatening paparazzi photographer Jeffrey Binion with a gun - Toronto article - News - MSN CA

Couple of interesting notes:
- the bodyguard reportedly is not a licensed bodyguard
- even if he is legal, the bodyguard does not have a concealed carry permit (and there is no "open carry" in FL and allowing another person to see a concelaed gun even accidentally is considered "brandishing." If shown on purpose I believe it amounts to "felony assault" unless the gun owner believes his life is in danger)

QuoteQuote:
During the incident, Bieber was caught on video screaming at his entourage to "grab that camera! Get that *** camera out of here". However, after the distressed snapper pleaded with him to return his property, the pop star responded with, "All right, all right. I'm gonna give you your camera back. I'm gonna take your SIM card [sic] though."
This is the big issue here to me, not the assault though that is egregious. The big issue is Bieber's presumed belief that his celebrity grants him the right to steal the personal property of this photographer. Regardless of how you feel about paparazzi or the celebrities under their surveillance, the photographers own the images they take and all of the equipment required to take them. No one including Bieber has a unilateral right to take personal property on the street, or in an alley or anywhere absent a judgement rendered by an impartial court of law.

Mike

06-10-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The gun and assault part is really bad. But I cant stop thinking I would try to take the photographs too from this kind of pwotograpers..
06-10-2013, 11:16 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
This would be such a good opportunity for him to turn it into good publicity e.g. Sorry, I was having a bad day but here is a $10K B&H voucher to spend on camera gear by way of apology.
06-10-2013, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Another instance of a child growing up in a hothouse environment without any responsibility who is now an adult without any ability to act like one. Bieber was in a public place by the reports and taking his image is legal and the images the property of the photographer - period. That alone is enough to warrant a civil suit. The rest is, if accurately reported, a criminal matter that should land a few people in jail. Probably won't because of the celebrity status but it ought to nonetheless.

06-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
The gun and assault part is really bad. But I cant stop thinking I would try to take the photographs too from this kind of pwotograpers..
If people were not trying to take their photos, people like Bieber would complain even louder. Regardless of what you think of them, paparazzi perform a function that is vital to the "cult of celebrity." They shoot photos of famous people that the "fans" want to see. This fuels the rise of the celebrity who would otherwise, without the attention, wither on the vine and die.
06-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #6
Banned

This is a difficult one, since paparazzi aren't nice people.
06-10-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
This fuels the rise of the celebrity who would otherwise, without the attention, wither on the vine and die.
They could also be hard workers that donīt want people following them everywhere trying to get a picture of them doing embarrasing stuff, or normal like going to a public bathroom, or kissing with your friend, or whatever.

There was a case here in Argentina: An old Rock star (Luis Alberto Spinetta) was dying of cancer and at a point he stopped appearing in public. Paparazzis were outside his house 24/7 and they finally got some photos of this man. You can imagine how good he looked or how happy were his fans about this pictures

06-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

So... is this hate topic against Bieber or is this about photography?
06-10-2013, 12:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
If people were not trying to take their photos, people like Bieber would complain even louder. Regardless of what you think of them, paparazzi perform a function that is vital to the "cult of celebrity." They shoot photos of famous people that the "fans" want to see. This fuels the rise of the celebrity who would otherwise, without the attention, wither on the vine and die.
Actually, in many cases I think you are extremely correct. Sometimes you can really smell how the agents plans things to to get publicity and luring in the paparazzis is a part of that. Things "Fake" 15min marriages, dating around with every super-celeb that just before the release of a movie and other publicity stunts are used by agents and celebs and feeds them, the agents and the paparazzi's and promotes their work for free.

If the celebs stopped feeding the gossip press that drama the gossip press would step down a bit, but many use the press just as much as the press uses them. The bad part is that people that just wants to be alone finds themselves in the line of sight and some can't handle it. They really should be angry with the agents and their colleagues for increasing that stuff, but they would have to fight big business and possible lose much of their work doing so.
06-10-2013, 12:55 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
Brandishing is a illegal in Florida and so is using a weapon for leverage in an argument.

Last edited by Blue; 06-10-2013 at 01:02 PM.
06-10-2013, 01:04 PM   #11

Photos: Albums
The law doesn't care who the people were. One guy was taking pictures in a 100% legal manner. Another guy threatened him with a gun and stole his property.

Effectively, one guy robbed another guy at gunpoint. The only other fact that has legal relevance is that he did it on someone else's command. That's pretty much all there is to the story. It doesn't even matter that the guy was taking pictures. He could have just been standing around, from a legal point of view it's irrelevant.
06-10-2013, 01:05 PM   #12
Pentaxian

You can bet, if I'm ever in the same room as Bieber, I'll think of something to sue him for....ok, just kidding, but I'm sure there are people who think that way. I hope he grabs my tush, I could use the cash.

OK so Bieber doesn't want his picture taken.. what does he do when he gets arrested for driving to fast? have his hair dresser come in an do his hair before the mug shot? Has he ever thought of wearing a mask if he doesn't want his picture taken when he goes out in public? I bet I could find one of those old Richard Nixon masks for him. Where does he get his body guards from? Tough guys R us? There are so many questions raised by this report that will never be answered...
06-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dboeren Quote
The law doesn't care who the people were. One guy was taking pictures in a 100% legal manner. Another guy threatened him with a gun and stole his property.

Effectively, one guy robbed another guy at gunpoint. The only other fact that has legal relevance is that he did it on someone else's command. That's pretty much all there is to the story. It doesn't even matter that the guy was taking pictures. He could have just been standing around, from a legal point of view it's irrelevant.

This part is a felony if true. FDLE should be brought in on it regarding the lack of licenses.

QuoteQuote:
Adler said a check showed that Hesny is not licensed to work as a bodyguard in Florida and does not hold a concealed weapons carrying permit as required by Florida law.
Plus, I agree that it was also assault and battery with a weapon and armed robbery.
06-10-2013, 01:08 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You can bet, if I'm ever in the same room as Bieber, I'll think of something to sue him for....ok, just kidding, but I'm sure there are people who think that way. I hope he grabs my tush, I could use the cash.

OK so Bieber doesn't want his picture taken.. what does he do when he gets arrested for driving to fast? have his hair dresser come in an do his hair before the mug shot? Has he ever thought of wearing a mask if he doesn't want his picture taken when he goes out in public? I bet I could find one of those old Richard Nixon masks for him. Where does he get his body guards from? Tough guys R us? There are so many questions raised by this report that will never be answered...
I don't know about the tough guy r us, but there are some places down there they better stay out of or they may find out just how tough the aren't.
06-11-2013, 04:30 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
This is a difficult one, since paparazzi aren't nice people.
They are doing a job just like anyone else. Sure some of them are creeps and when they do something illegal, like trespassing on private property or chasing after the celeb's cars at high speeds, they deserve to be sanctioned and charged with the appropriate crimes. However, when they are waiting in a public place for a celeb and they take his photo, they are 100% in the right.

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
So... is this hate topic against Bieber or is this about photography?
It's about the abuse of photographers by celebrities like Bieber.

Mike

Last edited by MRRiley; 06-11-2013 at 04:35 AM.