Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2013, 03:20 AM   #1

pet photography

I volunteer at the local animal shelter and have been photographing some of the dogs that have been there for awhile.
I am currently using an f3.4 20-80mm lens. While I find that it works "okay", there's probably a better lens out there for this type of work.
Could someone recommend a portrait lens? Preferably something affordable, if there is such a thing. I have a K20 camera body. I also use an AF360fgz flash (still learning my way around this thing).
Here's a few examples of what I've done with the lens I have now: Shelter Dogs - a set on Flickr
Would appreciate ANY constructive criticism and pointers. Just remember, I am by NO means a professional.
Thanks!!

06-15-2013, 05:59 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
They look better than most I've seen from shelters. Your lens seems fine. BTW the new Flickr site design is mind numbingly slow!
06-15-2013, 07:38 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello! Your pictures look nice

When I photograph my dogs I enjoy using a lens with a large aperture. I like the DA 35 f2.4 it is good value for the money. I do not own it but I think that you would enjoy the newer DA 50 f1.8, it is not super expensive and it would be nice for this sort of portrait work. Also if the dogs are good at sitting still (and from your pictures it looks like some of them are) you could save alot of money if your willing to sacrifice autofocus and score a nice used M or A 50mm f1.7 or f1.4 from an auction site or a used photo gear online store.

Good luck!

QuoteOriginally posted by halfspin Quote
BTW the new Flickr site design is mind numbingly slow
It totally is. Hopefully they are working on it lol