Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2013, 08:40 AM   #1
Pentaxian

This is why your used gear is so expensive

I don't think this is news to anybody, but it's nice to see it laid out in a chart. See this poll:

Will You Buy Second Hand Gear - Results (poll 7051266) | Polldaddy.com

In case you don't want to click, here's a screen shot of it right now:

So, 11% of people like to buy new gear. Kinda makes you wonder where all these used lenses are coming from.

It's simple economics. Limited supply + high demand = high price. This is why you don't save nearly as much money on a used lens as, say, a used car, or used clothing.

Again, I'm sure this won't come as a surprise to anyone, but I thought it was interesting.

For the record, I pretty much buy used whenever possible. That goes for cars and clothing, too (with an exception for underwear).

06-26-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
Pentaxian

"Will you buy" is much much different than "What do you primarily buy", "what do you prefer", etc. I'm surprised it isn't higher -- almost anybody will buy used gear at the right price for something they want, or even if they don't if it is just a super deal. (Esp. if guaranteed by the dealer.)
06-26-2013, 09:31 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I primarily buy used gear. Blame me.

Steve
06-26-2013, 09:34 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I would only buy a used body if super deal from reliable source. (They break too much -- want the warranty + extended warranty.) I buy tons of used lenses though -- mostly older stuff...

06-26-2013, 09:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
"Will you buy" is much much different than "What do you primarily buy", "what do you prefer", etc. I'm surprised it isn't higher -- almost anybody will buy used gear at the right price for something they want, or even if they don't if it is just a super deal. (Esp. if guaranteed by the dealer.)
+1. I buy used lenses and filters but not batteries, bodies, or flashes (any more).
06-26-2013, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Of course I've sold some of my lovingly used bodies that I bought new...but also usually want the top-of-the-line if I'm gonna buy a new body...
06-26-2013, 09:58 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My K-30 is the first time I've bought a brand new body and lens. All my other SLR stuff over the years was bought used from B & M stores.
06-26-2013, 09:59 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
"Will you buy" is much much different than "What do you primarily buy", "what do you prefer", etc
Okay, the poll could have been worded a little better, but I don't see much difference. The option "I like to tear the nylons from my new gear" wouldn't mean anything different if it just said "I prefer new gear."

Let's not argue semantics. The point is that the poll shows an overwhelming preference for used gear.

The option "only bodies" doesn't make much sense since, as you said, bodies are one of the things you'd be better off getting new. If you're willing to get a used body, you should be willing to get just about anything used. Even underwear.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
My K-30 is the first time I've bought a brand new body and lens. All my other SLR stuff over the years was bought used from B & M stores.
It's the same for me. I get my bodies new, but everything else used.

06-26-2013, 10:06 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Semantics matter for those of that are sensitive to meaning. The top line question is "Will you buy used gear?" To me that means just that. Will you buy it -- EVER. I'd answer yes without further thought, even if I had bought 99% of my stuff new.

However, if the question is, "Do you primarily buy new or used gear?" and I bought most of it new, then that would be my answer.

Gotta ask the question you really want the answer for...
06-26-2013, 10:13 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Look at the options. Does someone who would buy used gear "in a heartbeat" get 99% of their stuff new? I doubt it. That still gets the majority of the vote.

Answering "Nope" means you're unwilling to buy used. That's 11%. That's what I'm looking at.
06-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Lenses tend to hold their value better than most things (i.e. camera bodies, cars, etc...) as the material and tech doesn't really change that drastically. It also helps when manufacturers end up increasing the prices of existing lenses, which theoretically should help cement used prices (ahem...Pentax).

For me, if the price of a used lens is close to actual retail, I'll opt to buy new instead just to get the warranty for peace of mind. For example if a brand new lens cost $700 and someone is trying to sell a used copy for $625, I'll buy new instead.
06-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
Look at the options. Does someone who would buy used gear "in a heartbeat" get 99% of their stuff new? I doubt it.
I'm a person. And I would vote that way, yes. So if you think that nobody else is actually reading the question, that could be. But I am, and I'd answer the question that is asked, and it is asked in such a way that it is very hard to say anything but yes regardless of what I actually buy. (It doesn't ask what I buy, but what I *would* buy.) There are some people that will never ever buy used -- they don't like the whole idea of it, even if you could prove to them the gear was perfect. And none of the options even really cover that (as the "no" option makes it sound more like you enjoy having new gear than you are avoiding used gear, which is usually the case). So for me, the poll is very flawed. Results could be very similar if worded properly, but maybe not. (As has been proven over and over every time they do studies about people responding to polls -- the wording matters, a lot.)

A much better question is simply "What do actually you buy? Used or new?"
06-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Gotta ask the question you really want the answer for...

Yep, almost every poll I've ever seen has too much ambivalent wiggle room.
06-26-2013, 10:58 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

A much better question is simply "What do actually you buy? Used or new?"
...or how about:

From your current kit, what percentage was purchased new (<20%, 20%, 40%, 60%, 80%, 100%)

or somesuch.

Steve
06-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Or "Would you buy a used item INSTEAD of a new one?" Most of the used stuff I've bought is only available used...