Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
07-05-2013, 06:05 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
He should invest in a Metabones Speed Booster. Provides "Full Frame" style coverage. (And doesn't reduce sharpness too much) - Would also allow for him to use his beloved Nikon lenses.

07-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #17

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Eulogy Quote
He should invest in a Metabones Speed Booster. Provides "Full Frame" style coverage. (And doesn't reduce sharpness too much) - Would also allow for him to use his beloved Nikon lenses.
I agree and this would be the route I would take. The NEX-7 is a nice camera, but the Sony E mount lenses are a different story.
07-05-2013, 01:44 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DanWeso Quote
I agree and this would be the route I would take. The NEX-7 is a nice camera, but the Sony E mount lenses are a different story.
E mount lenses aren't that bad, they just...lack variety. Think the Pentax lineup 5 years ago. They'll progress I'm sure, NEX cameras seem to be very popular. (Not like there's too much viable competition, there's the K-01 and the Canon EOS-M[Haha...that's the only thing I can think of that was received more poorly than the K-01]) as well as M4/3. (But you lose sensor size there)
07-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eulogy Quote
I don't think metabones, lens turbo etc. would help Trey. From what i've read, they only significantly make a difference from f2.8 to f4 if memory serves. From Trey's landscape photos, he's more like F8 then the wide open. all it would do is degrade IQ a bit with no real benefit for landscape use. And a weight penalty for traveling.

07-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I don't think metabones, lens turbo etc. would help Trey. From what i've read, they only significantly make a difference from f2.8 to f4 if memory serves. From Trey's landscape photos, he's more like F8 then the wide open. all it would do is degrade IQ a bit with no real benefit for landscape use. And a weight penalty for traveling.
It'd provide wider viewing angles. Not to mention, like I said, he'd be able to utilize some of his Nikon gear.
07-06-2013, 05:55 PM   #21
Veteran Member

the Sony E mount lenses are a different story.
Some of the Sony (and other brand) E mounts seem quite OK.
FWIW, DxoMark looked at all the Sony E mounts recently on NEX 7.
07-06-2013, 10:38 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I read it as just another photog with a new toy in a Ken Rockwell kind of way.
A comparison to Ken Rockwell hurts, but when I read this --
"People love the idea of re-using lenses from “old” cameras and systems, but I hope (and think) that is a tradition that will fall away like using old LPs on new record players. At some point, everything changes and you just buy new kinds of “songs” for new kinds of “devices”. Now you buy MP3s from Amazon to play on your phone.
-- I thought you have a point.
  1. No one serious about music listens to MP3 files on their phone. "At some point everything changes and you just take pictures with your iPhone." seems just as well justifiable.
  2. The analogy he makes is a very weak one, with old lenses having some qualities that you cannot get from new lenses. I find the idea of "just buying new lenses" very alien and I don't like the thinking behind it.

His images rock, though.

07-07-2013, 01:09 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here's an interview with Trey Ratcliff....

The video is a total of 1 hr and 40min. Its a wide ranging discussion that goes beyond Trey's individual equipment decisions. There are no fanboy decisions here - its use what works. And in fact, Trey still has his D800 along with his Sony Nex-7. I'm glad i listened to the video because after i was through, i felt i had a better understanding of where the industry might be headed. For example, he's pretty critical of Japanese camera makers continuing to use print magazine advertising when he feels the money should be used in social media and on the internet. I have to admit, its been a long time since i bought a photography print magazine.

Interesting discussion and its helped clarify where i'm headed long term with my equipment purchases.
07-07-2013, 03:58 AM   #24
Veteran Member

helped clarify where i'm headed long term with my equipment purchases.
where?
07-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
where?
A. I've given up on any idea of getting a nikon or canon full frame. I was still considering them but Trey's comments have put me off them.

B. My next camera will be a Nex 7(latest ver) for landscape work and hiking. most wanted feature is built-in evf and ability to lock focus.

C. I'll keep my K5 for the live stage shooting i do.
07-07-2013, 06:08 PM   #26

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Some of the Sony (and other brand) E mounts seem quite OK.
FWIW, DxoMark looked at all the Sony E mounts recently on NEX 7.
I guess it’s all in which reviews you read. The reviews at photozone.de I think scored most of the Sony lenses at just OK, nothing great.
07-08-2013, 08:06 PM   #27
Veteran Member

A. I've given up on any idea of getting a nikon or canon full frame. I was still considering them but Trey's comments have put me off them.

B. My next camera will be a Nex 7(latest ver) for landscape work and hiking. most wanted feature is built-in evf and ability to lock focus.

C. I'll keep my K5 for the live stage shooting i do.
I've come to a similar conclusion:
1. Full frame may be a consideration in 3-5 years for me. For now APS-C is affordable and more than good enough

2. My next camera will be a Fuji for the bulk of my photos, at least 3-6 months before this purchase, time to consider options, but I want a smaller mirror less camera with APS-C.

3. I'm keeping my k-5, 16-50 and 50-135, the lenses are awesome, the weather sealing is awesome, the picture quality is way above most of my needs, I can see me using this camera on a every now and then basis for the next 2 years easy. Plus, I can legimately post on this forum, which I have come to enjoy immensely

This is all premised on the fact I can keep my LBA at bay, so you never know...DA*300, 15 ltd...its still hard to not put money towards these lenses.
07-09-2013, 12:16 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gareth.Ig Quote
I've come to a similar conclusion:
1. Full frame may be a consideration in 3-5 years for me. For now APS-C is affordable and more than good enough

2. My next camera will be a Fuji for the bulk of my photos, at least 3-6 months before this purchase, time to consider options, but I want a smaller mirror less camera with APS-C.

3. I'm keeping my k-5, 16-50 and 50-135, the lenses are awesome, the weather sealing is awesome, the picture quality is way above most of my needs, I can see me using this camera on a every now and then basis for the next 2 years easy. Plus, I can legimately post on this forum, which I have come to enjoy immensely

This is all premised on the fact I can keep my LBA at bay, so you never know...DA*300, 15 ltd...its still hard to not put money towards these lenses.
Thanks for the feedback. A friend of mine bought a Nikon D600, took some excellent pictures with it in red rock country, then recently about 7 months later is talking about selling it and getting something else. Before the D600, he had a K5, not sure if he sold it or not but he seemed to be on the fence right after the purchase between his K5 and the D600.

Which is all by the way of saying that the K5 series is quite an amazing camera model. I've been using my Nex 5n to do some quickie handheld panoramas with - which it does quite well but only in jpg. Liked one particular Nex5n panorama, so took out my K5, slapped it on my heaviest tripod on a downtown street, and redid the panorama manually with RAW files, with my DA17-70 lens (needed the wide end). The picture looks sweet after several days of playing with the toning and test prints. I would not have been able to get the same results out of a jpeg.

I'm not going to rush into the FF frenzy, if that is what it is. I'm getting enough quality pictures between the easy to carry Nexes and the higher quality ergonomics of the K5 to wait and see what comes down the tracks. Sony did some magic tricks with the new 1" sensor in the Rx100 II. If they can repeat that with APS sensors, then there are some excellent APS cameras ahead. If you watched part of the video from Trey that I posted just before where he holds up the FF cameras and then the Nex 7, its a visual that i won't soon forget :-)

I've read a lot of nice things about the Fuji and need to take a look at them again. Like Pentax, they seem to know how to make ergonomics that the enthusiasts like.

Oh hell, its all fun. Pick a camera, any camera, and go out and take pics.
07-09-2013, 10:12 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Sony has had several miss-fires, but the Olympus deal and the coming A-mount mirrorless have my attention. I'm considering picking up the CZ 50mm f/1.4 and waiting on the A-mount mirrorless.

Pentax/Ricoh had better show some signs of life pretty soon.
07-10-2013, 06:43 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Sony has had several miss-fires, but the Olympus deal and the coming A-mount mirrorless have my attention. I'm considering picking up the CZ 50mm f/1.4 and waiting on the A-mount mirrorless.

Pentax/Ricoh had better show some signs of life pretty soon.
Please explain how the A-mount mirrorless will be different from any E-mount NEX? I thought the difference between A- and E- mounts was registration distance, so a mirrorless A-mount isn't making sense to me.