Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
07-10-2013, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
The interesting thing is that for a long time, Pentax was the one offering a small sized system (dslr+lens) and a good range of lenses that meets Trey Radchiff's and other such traveller/photographers needs.
But what happens?
No one even bothers to give Pentax a look due to branding. (or they don't even know of Pentax)

Even now, a Pentax K30/50/500 coupled with DA and DA limited primes, is probably the best fast and rather small dslr type handling camera out there.
No IQ compromise compare to m4/3 (esp for the need to push processing in landscapes)
Better DOF control than m4/3
Better than NEX in handling.
Weather sealed (K39/K50) over a NEX
Outstanding quality smallish lenses over NEX (though with the help of the Sigma range, that gap is closing; but the Pentax lenses are still a bit better in optical quality)

The NEX isn't that much smaller with the lenses.
With a set of lenses, it still needs about the same small sized bag as one would use to carry a K30 with some DA primes.
The only main advantage of the NEX is the ability to adapt lenses, but even that is no longer that cheap anymore.

I see a lot of this 'jumped over to NEX/MILC' on the local forums.
Generally they were Canikony users with big macho systems who got tired of hauling the system on tours or chasing the kid. (Trey Radchiff, does fall into the 'big macho system on tour' category; no offense intended)
For the Pentax user, a Pentax is sort of a middle ground between them (ie. milc and big dslrs)
Those I know, always peeked the MILC way, but eventually sold off the MILC system. (handling/IQ/not too big size advantage)
Me included.
I feel that the size advantage is huge. The NEX 6 is the perfect size for a camera, in my opinion. Also, while it is hard to make a direct comparison of lens quality, most of the NEX primes outperform the LTDs on DxO tests. Unfortunately they have only tested them on a 24mp sensor, but they would likely still test better. We all know there is more to a lens than the DxO score, but you can't make an assertion that the Pentax lenses are better.

Last edited by kenafein; 07-10-2013 at 11:27 AM.
07-10-2013, 10:25 AM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
I feel that the size advantage is huge. The NEX 6 is the perfect size for a camera, in my opinion. Also, while it is hard to make a direct comparison of lens quality, most of the NEX primes outperform the LTDs on DxO tests. Unfortunately they have only tested them on a 24mp sensor, but they would likely still test better. We all know there is more to a lense than the DxO score, but you can't make an assertion that the Pentax lenses are better.
Without regard to lens quality, there are more advantages besides size, IMO. I was instantly impressed with the size and quality of the viewfinder on the NEX6 I handled at the store. Focus peaking on a live image is something I'll use a lot. Live histograms and live renditions of exposure compensation will be important. Even the placement of the viewfinder at the camera's edge is something I find attractive.

I'm pretty sure my next camera will be a mirrorless APSC, most likely the NEX7 or whatever replaces it. As small as the Pentax K30 is, I still find it getting left at home a lot. I've been assured that a NEX and 20mm pancake prime are likely to fit into a pocket, and my pockets always go with me. :-)
07-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Without regard to lens quality, there are more advantages besides size, IMO. I was instantly impressed with the size and quality of the viewfinder on the NEX6 I handled at the store. Focus peaking on a live image is something I'll use a lot. Live histograms and live renditions of exposure compensation will be important. Even the placement of the viewfinder at the camera's edge is something I find attractive.

I'm pretty sure my next camera will be a mirrorless APSC, most likely the NEX7 or whatever replaces it. As small as the Pentax K30 is, I still find it getting left at home a lot. I've been assured that a NEX and 20mm pancake prime are likely to fit into a pocket, and my pockets always go with me. :-)
I agree with you. The viewfinder is great, don't forget the level in the finder, fantastic. It's way better than the K-5 level. My only gripe with the finder is that focus peaking is much reduced, and harder to use, in the finder vs the LCD.

I haven't tried out the 20mm pancake, but you could easily throw the camera with the 16-50 in a jacket pocket. I think the Sigma 19 is a better value though.

Last edited by kenafein; 07-10-2013 at 11:30 AM.
08-02-2013, 04:59 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I've just been reading up on "The Innovators Dilemma" and it does simplify the complex nature of these kind of topics. There are many graphs online that offer some perspective on all of this.

I can't believe that some people here can talk about what products will be around in 30 years - as if that world would look anything remotely like today.

In 30 years it is likely we'll have quantum computers attached to our brains and pretty much have infinite intelligence.. that would place a new perspective on everything. Your own brain could probably record images to the QC's 'memory' and transmit any information, thoughts and feeling to any other participant. All forms of consumerism would likely be of no use to the people of that world.

08-02-2013, 05:29 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Think about what Pentax camera was introduced in 1983.[SuperPROGRAM]. Yes, the technology has changed dramatically, but has the paradigm shifted? OTOH IBM introduced the IBM PC XT - first time with an internal hard disk drive - which did start a complete paradigm shift.
08-03-2013, 01:50 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
I would go with the Pentax, a little biased but hey. Pentax need some sharp edge to edge wides in WR eg updated 12-24. Although A 15-21-31 would be a hard combo to beat.
Sorry, but neither 15, neither 21 are good enough. Just my $0.02
08-03-2013, 12:12 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I've just been reading up on "The Innovators Dilemma" and it does simplify the complex nature of these kind of topics. There are many graphs online that offer some perspective on all of this.

I can't believe that some people here can talk about what products will be around in 30 years - as if that world would look anything remotely like today.

In 30 years it is likely we'll have quantum computers attached to our brains and pretty much have infinite intelligence.. that would place a new perspective on everything. Your own brain could probably record images to the QC's 'memory' and transmit any information, thoughts and feeling to any other participant. All forms of consumerism would likely be of no use to the people of that world.
I agree that 30 year predictions are way out there, but it is a very valid exercise for humans to try to predict the near future.

There was a British TV series several years ago called "Connections". The Show documented that many small inventions/discoveries were needed for major technology advances, such as food preservation, refrigeration, alloy steels, etc. It seems impossible to predict how any single small discovery will impact society years down the line.

08-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
Sorry, but neither 15, neither 21 are good enough. Just my $0.02
They are pancake lenses. For what they are they are stellar. I can get ALL the DA Ltd's in a pencil case that won't even fit the 12-24 alone!

They are more than "good enough" and in an era where DSLRs have to compete with smaller mirrorless cameras they position Pentax very well.
08-03-2013, 12:47 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
In 30 years it is likely we'll have quantum computers attached to our brains and pretty much have infinite intelligence.. that would place a new perspective on everything.
Borg or Terminator. You, sir, have been watching too much sci-fi.
08-03-2013, 05:01 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Borg or Terminator. You, sir, have been watching too much sci-fi.
LOL.. you noticed.. damn!