Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2013, 02:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Hello Sony, Goodbye Nikon-Trey Ratcliff, applies to Pentax as well

The camera world is changing very quickly, of that there is no doubt.

Stuck In Customs | HDR Photography, Travel Photography and Camera Reviews

I've been in a quandary on where to go with my equipment, with lots of Pentax equipment and a few Sony Items. After reading Trey Ratcliff's article, above, i find it says much better in words, what i've been thinking about.

Trey's viewpoint is decidedly of one who travels a lot and does primarily landscaping work. But there are a lot of photographers who fall into that category. He is not bashful in describing Nikon and Sony advantages and disadvantages.

While reading this fascinating article, in many instances one could replace the word Sony with Pentax and much still applies. His recommendations for future Sony action include water resistance for example. Pentax already has that in spades. He also recommends some faster zooms for Sony - Pentax already has that. One of the big advantages i see for Pentax is a better suite of lenses available over that available for Sony e-mount. On the other hand, Sony is doing more innovative things at the moment than Pentax. Pentax has IBIS and tends to have smaller lens sizes in either or both weight and volume.

If we compare the Japanese camera makers to a deck of cards, then Sony is probably closest to the Joker card, flexible in their approach and capable of making winning hands out of a diverse hand.

07-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmm... considering just the bodies, the Pentax K-5II kind of sits between the NEX-7 and the D800 in terms of what Mr. Ratcliff values as an HDR landscape photog. I'm also an HDR landscape photog, and really, the only attractive parts of the NEX system are the size, the focus peaking, and the galaxy of adaptable lenses (including "lens turbo"-like full-frame adapters). Not enough to beat the weather sealing, lens selection, and ergonomics of Pentax, though.
07-04-2013, 03:32 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

It's always risky relying on gear articles from accomplished photographers. It gives the sensation that we could do as well as them, if only we had their gear.

I could probably read a similar article by someone like Ming Thein and decide that I must use Leica, or a great article from Chase Jarvis and decide I need to shoot Nikon. Or indeed read something from Benjamin Kanarek, and decide that the best camera brand for me if I want to shoot fashion is Pentax.
07-04-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I would go with the Pentax, a little biased but hey. Pentax need some sharp edge to edge wides in WR eg updated 12-24. Although A 15-21-31 would be a hard combo to beat.

07-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

About a year or so ago, I watched a video of his where he was saying that the D800 was going to be the last dSLR he was going to use. Somewhat hinting at things to come. His reasons are interesting, and other than size - I do agree that the Pentax offerings do come close.

It is interesting to see that he has regressed from full frame to APS-C finding it not perfect, but good enough. Especially given his night scapes..

07-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the link, interesting read. I have to say that I find myself in similar quandry between the Pentax K-5 and the Fuji X-E1.

The size difference is not as substantial as the difference between the D800 and nex7, but there is an appreciable difference in size and weight. The fuji lens also appear to show the advantage of mirrorless with the shorter registration distance and it leaves me wondering if Pentax could make a 35mm f1.4 in k-mount in similar weight, size and cost as the fuji XF or an 18mm f2 (although this lens has not stood up in reviews).

Technical aspects to one side, the fuji cameras are also wonderfully attractive and feel great to use. For every time I convince myself that I don't need to change systems I see an ad for these cameras or handle one at Henry's and I go through the process of telling myself the K-5 produces fantastic images, handles wonderfully and in combination of the DA*16-50 and 50-135 is a camera system I should not have to change for years to come.
07-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #7
Pentaxian

The interesting thing is that for a long time, Pentax was the one offering a small sized system (dslr+lens) and a good range of lenses that meets Trey Radchiff's and other such traveller/photographers needs.
But what happens?
No one even bothers to give Pentax a look due to branding. (or they don't even know of Pentax)

Even now, a Pentax K30/50/500 coupled with DA and DA limited primes, is probably the best fast and rather small dslr type handling camera out there.
No IQ compromise compare to m4/3 (esp for the need to push processing in landscapes)
Better DOF control than m4/3
Better than NEX in handling.
Weather sealed (K39/K50) over a NEX
Outstanding quality smallish lenses over NEX (though with the help of the Sigma range, that gap is closing; but the Pentax lenses are still a bit better in optical quality)

The NEX isn't that much smaller with the lenses.
With a set of lenses, it still needs about the same small sized bag as one would use to carry a K30 with some DA primes.
The only main advantage of the NEX is the ability to adapt lenses, but even that is no longer that cheap anymore.

I see a lot of this 'jumped over to NEX/MILC' on the local forums.
Generally they were Canikony users with big macho systems who got tired of hauling the system on tours or chasing the kid. (Trey Radchiff, does fall into the 'big macho system on tour' category; no offense intended)
For the Pentax user, a Pentax is sort of a middle ground between them (ie. milc and big dslrs)
Those I know, always peeked the MILC way, but eventually sold off the MILC system. (handling/IQ/not too big size advantage)
Me included.

07-04-2013, 04:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sony has done some amazing things with the 1" sensor they stuffed into the RX100 II. Nikon is using the same size in their V1 and J1, if memory serves. Apparently the new rX100 is gathering 40% more light because it is backlit over the previous 100. If they can make that kind of progress with the 1" exmor sensor, perhaps we'll see a similar change in the new aps models. Noone seems to know for sure what's ahead in the market place. But up and down the sensor size line, Sony is being disruptive. And this in a marketplace where shipments of cameras are down 15% for dslrs and 18% for mirrorless from the previous year. I assume because of less sales
07-04-2013, 04:36 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's probably a given that Pentax will take all the advantages of the K30/50 combine them with those of the K5/II/IIs - fold them in with what ever sensor is most favorable (Sony?), add it their ability to squeeze a bit more out, hopefully add in some AF updates and a few other things. This would appear to address all of his reservations on the NEX. Anyway - we will see what appears when ever it appears.

07-04-2013, 04:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

My sense is change is in the air. I think we are seeing the golden years of the DSLR and that technology (mirrorless, lytro, what have you) is going to get disruptive for Pentax, Nikon and Canon in the near future. I'm sure the DSLR will be around for a long time, but its not going to be the dominant high end consumer camera it is today.
07-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I looked at the OM-D and NEX, but actually, they aren't that much smaller than my Pentax with either the kit lens or a limited on. Both their kit lenses are actually longer and slower than the pentax kit lens. They are lighter systems, but in actual 'how much space does that take in my bag' terms (Volume, to you mathematicians), I can stay with my Pentax. They do look tiny in the store when next to a canon or nikon with their weirdly large kit lenses. I always wonder how those two manage to make an 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 so much bigger than it needs to be. Why so much talk about kit lenses? Because when I want to save weight or shoot casual, it's what gets packed. Pentax is still the only system with wide angle primes for APS. That's what really keeps me here.
07-04-2013, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #12

Photos: Albums
I read it as just another photog with a new toy in a Ken Rockwell kind of way. I guess image sharpness is not high on his priorities list.
07-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
I looked at the OM-D and NEX, but actually, they aren't that much smaller than my Pentax with either the kit lens or a limited on. Both their kit lenses are actually longer and slower than the pentax kit lens. They are lighter systems, but in actual 'how much space does that take in my bag' terms (Volume, to you mathematicians), I can stay with my Pentax. They do look tiny in the store when next to a canon or nikon with their weirdly large kit lenses. I always wonder how those two manage to make an 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 so much bigger than it needs to be. Why so much talk about kit lenses? Because when I want to save weight or shoot casual, it's what gets packed. Pentax is still the only system with wide angle primes for APS. That's what really keeps me here.
That and their kits are smallish, plus there is the WR...and AA batteries. Overall vey good engineering (save for the SDM debacle).

Pentax has a knack for being...practical. A lot of their sales come from that.
07-04-2013, 07:06 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Gareth.Ig Quote
My sense is change is in the air. I think we are seeing the golden years of the DSLR and that technology (mirrorless, lytro, what have you) is going to get disruptive for Pentax, Nikon and Canon in the near future. I'm sure the DSLR will be around for a long time, but its not going to be the dominant high end consumer camera it is today.
Couldn't agree more! Even if DSLR's could keep an IQ advantage, the technology is progressing so rapidly for mirrorless, camera phones, etc, that without significant investment in R&D the DSLR sensor advantage won't be enough to keep profit margins worth it for the manufacturers. I have an Oly EPM-1 and even with the very stark difference in the IQ between it and my K5, I find myself grabbing it whenever I am just heading out and not planning on doing any serious shooting, which is most of the time. The size and weight difference is considerable. Don't discount the weight considerations in the authors article. While the NEX 7 may not be all that much smaller than a K5 it is most definitely lighter. Even more so than the D800...
07-05-2013, 12:09 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DanWeso Quote
I read it as just another photog with a new toy in a Ken Rockwell kind of way. I guess image sharpness is not high on his priorities list.
Well then you are wrong. I care very much about sharpness. I found 2 focus tools on the Nex 5n which help me focus a manual Pentax macro lens in a far more precise way than anything i have on my K5.

The picture below was taken with a Nex 5n and a Pentax M 100mm F4, handheld: (Thank you Aristophanes for the lens :-) its fantastic)

Last edited by philbaum; 07-05-2013 at 12:34 AM.