Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
pentax customer service Japan good or bad?

What do you think?
Buy lens 21/12/12. From first shot I love the lens. Sharpness, contrast, color accurate decisive focus. Best lens I have ever used.
One week later find a fault within return time so return to the shop they agree it is faulty provide me with another copy.

This copy is not as good as the first one. Not as consistently accurate to focus and the focus is extremely hesitant. A little softer than the other copy but could be focus related. I return to the shop asking to exchange again they refuse as it is against their policy so I have to go to Pentax Service. They kindly agree to check the lens and lend me a rental which I find is gives good quality images. 3 weeks later I collect my lens and am informed that it is working perfectly.

2 days later the SDM motor fails. I return to Pentax tell them the problem. I remove the lens and on removing my filter I discover another problem. My brand spanking new lens has three indentations down to bare metal in the front rim. So I point out that these must have been caused when Pentax checked the lens and affects its condition and ask could they replace with new instead of making repairs. They ever so kindly agree.

After seven days I return to collect the replacement. After several shots it is apparent that this is the worst lens I have used. Compared to the other 3 copies it has poor sharpness, contrast and color and has pf even at f5.6

I return to Pentax and they agree it is soft and ever so kindly keep it to adjust it. Three weeks later I collect it and find it is better but to my surprise I discover that when the lens is wide open at f2.8 I can see the aperture blades and that one of the blades is scratched. I return again to Pentax and point this out. He tells me not to worry it is perfectly fine and is operating at f2.8 and that the scratch is nothing to worry about. Still a little bothered by this because of the affect this may have on the circular bokeh lights I ask the members of a forum if the aperture blades should be visible at wide open. The answer is definitely not. I confirm this by trying several copies in camera stores.

This time I go to a different Pentax service center and explain the problem about the blades closing down at f2.8. They very kindly agree to send it to be checked and have the scratched aperture blade replaced and for the 3 weeks it was being repaired a rental copy was provided. The rental copy worked fine and produced good images.

3 weeks later I collected the lens and the scratched aperture blade had been replaced.
When I tried the lens I discovered that the aperture blades were still visible at f2.8. 2 days later I returned to Pentax and spoke to a different technician. Who was surprised when I told him I was told it was ok that the aperture blades are visible wide open. He agreed, and kept the lens to make necessary adjustments.

Another three weeks later I collected the lens only to find that after adjustment to the aperture lever so that the blades are not visible at the wide open aperture the lens had poor sharpness, color and contrast compared to the other 3 lenses I had used.

They agreed and give me the choice of a hand picked lens or a refund. I chose a hand picked lens. I was told it would take 3 weeks. After 3 weeks, 27th May, I received a phone call stating that it would take another 3 weeks to hand pick a lens. Tired of waiting on 3rd June I went to Pentax and asked if the offer of a refund was still available. They agreed and said it would take a week. On the 10th of June I rang them to see if I could collect my refund and was told it would be another 3 weeks before their head office could complete the very complicated paperwork and that they will ring me when it is ready. June 21 I get the refund.

07-08-2013, 06:14 AM   #2
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That is nutty. I bought a lens from Sigma, had an issue with it, shipped it off, they sent it back fixed. It was quite an easy process to me.
07-08-2013, 07:39 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
That is nutty. I bought a lens from Sigma, had an issue with it, shipped it off, they sent it back fixed. It was quite an easy process to me.
Unbelievable isn't it. Drove me crazy. So crazy I bought another Da*200 with the refund last week.

Sigma have a 5 year warranty? The new 18-35 zoom looks very tempting
07-08-2013, 07:45 AM   #4
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That new Sigma is likely going to be my next lens unless I can get an FA31 Ltd. for cheap.

07-08-2013, 03:54 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
That new Sigma is likely going to be my next lens unless I can get an FA31 Ltd. for cheap.
Good luck with getting an Fa31 cheap. The thing about the Fa ltds is that if you buy one used it will hold its price. The reason I kept the 77Ltd over the 70ltd was because I could get my money back or more for the 77 if I sold it on.