Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pondering the Pentax Way

I was just given a lifetime collection of 35mm slrs and lenses by an old friend who is closing down his residence.
It looks like he was quite a photographer based on the wear on some of his bodies and lenses which all seem to be in good working condition.
I was told he did a lot of school and sporting photos, also he travelled a lot.

The collection starts with a Yashica TL-Super and a bag of 42mm screw mount lenses.
Then came a Yashica FR-2 which by then was a bayonet mount. Another set of lenses, but not so many.

Then a Canon A-1. It is the FD breech mount, Another set of lenses, the 1:1.4 50mm and 4 zooms.
Then the Canon EOS -10 s, which was back to a bayonet mount. Again another set of lenses, there is nice standard lens and a set of zooms.

It was interesting to see that the focal lengths of the lens sets, was repeated 4 times due to the 4 mount systems.

Of course my K mount collection in Pentax and Ricoh does not go back so far.
But it is worth to consider in comparison to the above that over my lifetime, every lens in that collection works on every body.

Incidentally I think that Canon A-1 is a beautiful camera and i am keen to try it, i read some of its manual today.
But the FD mount - Am I just using it wrong?
I am having difficulty putting any of the Canon original lenses on and getting them off, although one off brand lens (a Koboron), goes on easily.

07-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Moved to proper area.
07-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Part of why I am with Pentax is because all the K-mount lenses work. When I bought a Nikon dSLR for my sister a couple years ago (her local camera club was a big reason) I made the mistake of purchasing a lens that was a current Nikon lens but would not work on her camera. Seriously! The more I thought about that and the more I looked at Pentax the more convinced I was that continuity in the K-mount was a wonderful thing.

Last edited by Docrwm; 07-08-2013 at 06:55 PM.
07-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Part of why I am with Pentax is because all the K-mount lenses work. When I bought a Nikon dSLR for my sister a couple years ago (her local camera club was a big reason) I made the mistake of purchasing a lens that was a current Nikon lens but would not work on her camera. Seriously! The more I thought about that and the more I looked at Pentax the more convinced I was that continuity in the K-mount was wonderful thing.
The dreaded AF vs AF-S problem that eventually led to me wandering to Pentax. (That, combined with the sealing and stabilization that doesn't cost an arm and a leg)

07-08-2013, 07:27 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Incidentally I think that Canon A-1 is a beautiful camera and i am keen to try it, i read some of its manual today.
But the FD mount - Am I just using it wrong?
I am having difficulty putting any of the Canon original lenses on and getting them off, although one off brand lens (a Koboron), goes on easily.

I've used a FD body, but mostly with third party lenses. I've found sometimes I need to give a lens a wiggle and really press it hard against the body before it will mount. I don't recall having any problems removing lenses, though.

Most of my FD lenses had the rotating mount ring, but there was a later FD mount which twisted on like a typical bayonet lens and had a release button on the lens for removal (at least that's how my Canon 50 f1.8 works).
Canon FD lens mount - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You've read the A-1 manual so I assume you're lining up the dots on the lens and body before mounting?
07-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, AllThumbs, that helps a bit.
Here I am referring to the old Canon A-1, ..and I must say that this is the first time that i ever used an slr that was not k-mount!
I had read the wiki on the FD and some other sites, which said the mount was not to be rotated.
The idea at the time, I read, was that the mechanical and electrical contacts would last longer with a rotation free breech mount - the FD.
The off brand lens here works like that, it does not need to be rotated and the breech ring spins by itself when the lens is pressed in.
To get that lens off ( it is a bit awkward) the breech ring has to be rotated back and the lens falls out.

However the only way I can get the genuine Canon FD lenses ( about 4 here) to go on is to give them a 1/4 turn clockwise.
Which is not what I read.
All the Canon lenses here have the silver button that you mention.
I have the FD 70~210mm on the camera now, it is not easy to get it on and off because it is long and heavy , and it has to be gripped by a thin ring against the body. - gripping anywhere else just spins the ap ring or focus ring.
I suppose I will get familiar with it.
Thanks
07-08-2013, 08:28 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
However the only way I can get the genuine Canon FD lenses ( about 4 here) to go on is to give them a 1/4 turn clockwise.
Which is not what I read.
All the Canon lenses here have the silver button that you mention.
I have the FD 70~210mm on the camera now, it is not easy to get it on and off because it is long and heavy , and it has to be gripped by a thin ring against the body. - gripping anywhere else just spins the ap ring or focus ring.
I suppose I will get familiar with it.
Thanks

Yes, confusing! But it sounds like you've figured out how to mount the two different versions.
Enjoy your new toys.

08-06-2013, 06:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Update
I have been using the Canon A-1 with its various FD lenses and I have a couple of rolls to develop.
I suppose the camera and lenses were state of the art, in the day, however the camera with the various buttons all over it
and its 100 page manual are a dog's breakfast. The A-1 does not even have a manual metering mode.
It looks like they had design problems and the breech mount does not really work.
last time I was out I could not get a lens off - but home in the office they just spin off ...not sure why, maybe i can't get my fingers in there .