Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
07-20-2013, 04:02 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This, is...wow. As someone that champions personal integrity, seeing this in action is more than depressing. I don't have the proper words for it...

But, in the interest of being objective, I must say that that photographer seems to be a rich guy that is aloof. He is walking around with what looks like a D700/D800 and 70-200 f/2.8. That is between $3500-5000. You don't do that, especially like a necklace. Second, you NEVER EVER NEVER take your hands off your camera. I sometimes have my camera on my strap, although I prefer Lauren's MO with holsters and in the bag when not directly in use, but when it is out, my hand is ALWAYS on the camera. Because I use an OP/Tech Sling Strap, it is also pointed down towards the ground at my right hip. Always.

Last, but what blows my mind the most, is that he doesn't realize for at least TWO FULL SECONDS that his camera+lens, hanging on his NECK just dropped in weight by at LEAST 75%. And then that doesn't happen until he finds that his finger went into the lens mount as opposed to against the lens.

Regardless, it makes me even more grateful in light of my most recent experience with "losing" gear.

I Left My Camera Bag on a Train...

-Heie

07-20-2013, 10:04 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
NEVER EVER NEVER take your hands off your camera.
I agree - camera makers go through a great deal of effort to make their cameras comfortable for handheld use, it is a bit of an insult to hang it from your neck. Another thing that I will point out is when i'm using longer lenses like that I never handle the camera by the body alone - I always have a hand supporting the lens. The reason for this is that with most cameras these days the area behind the metal lens mount is the mirror box which is often made of plastic which can crack from the strain of having to hold something that has almost as much weight as the camera itself. When I'm using my Sigma 100-300mm f/4 APO EX DG on my Pentax K5IIs I often just hold the lens near the lens mount to reduce any strain, since it is by far the heaviest lens I regularly use on the K5IIs - the camera can take care of itself.
07-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #18
Veteran Member

But wasnt this guy trying to lure thieves and capture them on film? I thought he was playing a careless photographer on purpose.
07-20-2013, 05:15 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
wasnt this guy trying to lure thieves and capture them on film? I thought he was playing a careless photographer on purpose.
If it were me: I would have a bit more than a just camera waiting for them. Probably a shotgun loaded with rock salt and citric acid crystals.

Last edited by Digitalis; 07-20-2013 at 10:18 PM.
07-20-2013, 10:16 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks to the power of the Web, this technique of acquiring a lens will be coming to a city near you.
07-20-2013, 10:32 PM   #21
Veteran Member

From the shadow, I think it's been recorded on a camera fitted to a bus - check the shadow LHS, it looks like a coach mirror.
07-21-2013, 01:20 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Hello,

My problem is quite similar so I guess no need for a new thread.

Today (21st of July) my just out of the box Pentax K-01 (under 200 shoots..) and my most precious Pentax 31mm Ltd was stolen during a wedding(or a few hours after it)... Sometime from 24 to 8am (at night). Location - conference hall of the museum of the centre of Europe.
I am writing here (as well as on LT forums) because most of the guests were foreigners (France, Argentina, Puerto Rico), so maybe there is a little more chance writing on the international forums as well.

I still can hardly accent what happen, because all the guests and staff were super awesome people, the place is deep in the forest...

Serial numbers:
K-01 (White) - 2695205
31 Ltd (black, AIV) - 0038510

Don't know what other info I should provide. On the way back I also met a friendly policeman who sadly said that cameras are not phones and finding them is very difficult..

Please share your experience, because I am really confused what to do (it is the first time something is stolen from me).

Thank you!

07-21-2013, 01:43 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Wrong place ... and definitely wrong time to have a big, obviously expensive zoom hanging around your neck (a universal signal that you are a visiting tourist and an easy mark) ... a bit of common sense and caution would seem to be in order. When I lived in Paris, I saw similar bands in the metro .... IMHO, these guys aren't too bright because they could have cut the camera strap and had it all ... J
07-21-2013, 02:05 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sorry for your loss

QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
Hello,

My problem is quite similar so I guess no need for a new thread.

Today (21st of July) my just out of the box Pentax K-01 (under 200 shoots..) and my most precious Pentax 31mm Ltd was stolen during a wedding(or a few hours after it)... Sometime from 24 to 8am (at night). Location - conference hall of the museum of the centre of Europe.
I am writing here (as well as on LT forums) because most of the guests were foreigners (France, Argentina, Puerto Rico), so maybe there is a little more chance writing on the international forums as well.

I still can hardly accent what happen, because all the guests and staff were super awesome people, the place is deep in the forest...

Serial numbers:
K-01 (White) - 2695205
31 Ltd (black, AIV) - 0038510

Don't know what other info I should provide. On the way back I also met a friendly policeman who sadly said that cameras are not phones and finding them is very difficult..

Please share your experience, because I am really confused what to do (it is the first time something is stolen from me).

Thank you!

Is there any chance that you might recall any circumstances or events before that happen ? Try to calm down and recreate the events - perhaps there are clues waiting to be discovered.

It is sad truth about our society that even behind a friendly face of Mr Jekyll can be hidden a Mr Hyde - this type will exploit others on opportunities that coming from someone's lack of attention and awareness - as you've probably experienced in this case. But there is this other nasty type , Mr Hyde alone which will create opportunities by arranging the situation and setting a trap for those who are less aware of the surroundings. And there is no recipe for avoiding the worse - often comes down to who we are - as my wife and my son both had stolen things from them - wallets, phones, etc. and in contrary I have never had anything stolen from me whole my life - does that make one better ? Of course not - this is the beauty of life and being human being - that we are different - the real problem are those unscrupulous faggots all over the world that makes this place so nasty.

Anyway try to post these numbers on the thread that was designed for - search the forum - it one day might surface somewhere being sold and you never know what might that lead to.

Let us know if you have any progress on tracking down the bastard!
Kind regards!
07-21-2013, 02:19 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
Maybe Stolen Camera Finder - find your photos, find your camera could work?
07-21-2013, 09:53 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
If it were me: I would have a bit more than a just camera waiting for them. Probably a shotgun loaded with rock salt and citric acid crystals.
A long forgotten Pentax camera may be the answer, the C.I.A single-shot gun camera.
Glenn
Attached Images

07-21-2013, 03:15 PM   #27
Inactive Account

manntax, p38arover

Thank you, I'll do what I can and post any news.
07-21-2013, 11:16 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
camera makers go through a great deal of effort to make their cameras comfortable for handheld use, it is a bit of an insult to hang it from your neck. Another thing that I will point out is when i'm using longer lenses like that I never handle the camera by the body alone
Did you notice they actually include a neck strap with the camera?... I often use it as a sling though. And a slimmer one, less cumbersome. I am considering using some kind of hand strap but hadnīt seen one thatīs looks practical and unintrussive enough.
Regarding lenses, my rule is: If the lens has a tripod mount, then you should hold the system by the lens. If it doesnīt, the camera can handle the weight*. I think the camera lens mount weight limit must be arround 550 - 600grs

*Except for the K300/4 and similar lenses...
07-21-2013, 11:46 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
my rule is: If the lens has a tripod mount, then you should hold the system by the lens. If it doesnīt, the camera can handle the weight*. I think the camera lens mount weight limit must be arround 550 - 600grs
sounds sensible enough, though sometimes with my long telephoto lenses I use a monopod which would have hampered the thieves considerably...especially if your monopod happens to have a lawn spike on the end of it.
07-22-2013, 12:36 AM   #30
Pentaxian

These people have no shame.

When I have a zoom lens fitted I usually have one hand on the camera at all times (especially when somewhere busy), but that hand is usually more on the lens than on the camera. This more to prevent damage in case I accidentally knock the lens into something and wrench the mount, but would also serve the purpose of protecting the lens from theft (at least to some degree). If I have a small prime fitted then my hand is usually just on the camera though.

Mobbing people is an increasingly common tactic for thieves, whether it be to steal a camera or to distract when taking money from a cash dispenser or paying in a shop. If you notice that you're suddenly being jostled in a group or being spoken to out of the blue by strangers you should be immediately on your guard and your hands should go to anything or value that might be out in the open and vulnerable.