Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax marketing, oh dear

Screenshot of an email I just got sent from Pentax marketing. Kind of a shame that it forgets to actually tell people which lens the $100 rebate applies to. Rookie error (I'm a marketer)

07-11-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Moved to proper area.
07-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They have the wrong lens photo, too.

Too bad they simply jacked up the prices only to offer people with "rebates"...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

This makes me think about Pentax as the car dealer of cameras. Hike the MSRP then give rebates to people to think that they're happy. Didn't that go out last decade?

07-11-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
They have the wrong lens photo, too.
If you click on the "buy now" link, it directs you to the DFA 100 Macro lens, which is still $850. You have to browse through the lenses to find out that the $100 rebate is actually on the DFA 100 WR lens, now $750 after instant rebate.
07-11-2013, 02:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richardwong Quote
This makes me think about Pentax as the car dealer of cameras. Hike the MSRP then give rebates to people to think that they're happy. Didn't that go out last decade?
Yes, and they used to be the Saturn of lens dealers. Sad, sad, pathetically sad change.
07-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
oh dear
That's the story of Pentax Marketing. We're lucky their cameras are so darn good. Cheap, too.

07-11-2013, 07:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Lucky they have such a devoted group of consumers who are happy using old equipment and are patient enough for innovation because otherwise I wouldn't think they'd be in business for long.

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
That's the story of Pentax Marketing. We're lucky their cameras are so darn good. Cheap, too.
07-11-2013, 07:22 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is this from Pentax USA? While I know they have a proper Marketing person now, and a Public Relations person, I bet their webstore, website management and marketing implementation are still contracted out.

This is the kind of stuff Jim Malcolm has to overcome by hiring real, in-house people - but he can't do that until the cash flow rises - which won't happen if the outsourced implementation is so goofy. When financial analysts write that building the DigiCams business is a real threat to earnings (due to the large loss-making investment necessary at the front end) this is the stuff they are writing about.

What a circular mess.
07-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by richardwong Quote
Lucky they have such a devoted group of consumers who are happy using old equipment and are patient enough for innovation because otherwise I wouldn't think they'd be in business for long.
I agree totally.

Regards
07-12-2013, 09:57 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Mmh, its pretty bad here in Europe, too. I found an awesome Pentax brochure with nice sample photos.. but it has errors. For example, it says the 40mm XS has quickshift (it doesn't, the ltd does), and one photo of a lens is a really low quality jpeg (you can see jpeg artifacts on the photo). The brochure also doesn't list any FA lenses.
And then an online catalog is even worse - has a photo of silver 43mm, but its titled as a FA 50mm and priced at 400 euro.. So Pentax marketing everywhere, at least outside Japan, has a long way to go.