Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
06-27-2014, 12:23 AM   #31
Veteran Member

I only really recommend Pentax if i genuinely think it's the best option for what the person does.

Most people who ask are upgrading from an iphone, and I usually don't even recommend an SLR at all.
When I do I usually ask if they are interested in using older lenses, and if they are concerned about having to look a bit harder to find gear.

If either of those are an issue, I'll often say they may be better with a Nikon.
I rarely recommend Canon because I personally find them to have terrible ergonomics and a godawful interface. (but, I also think the same about iphones)

For most people there's nothing that Pentax really offers that Canon/Nikon don't also offer.
Combine that with the convenience of just walking into a shop and comign home with a Canon/Nikon off the shelf, and most people can't be bothered with Pentax.

Most of the time though when people ask about what DSLR to buy though, I just tell them I have no idea since I don't care about 90% of the features on them (I'm still about 80% film, the other 20% is on an ancient istDS)

06-30-2014, 08:19 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Generally I tell them what attracted me to the Pentax system - I grew up shooting full manual, and Pentax designed their bodies to do this easily. That said, what sold me is weather sealing, high durability, and lenses which don't have built-in IS.

I'll tell them that the entry-level bodies all work about the same way - they each have some strengths and weaknesses, but until you start investigating high quality or specialty lenses and mid-level bodies, you'll do pretty well with all systems. I'll encourage them to get out of "green mode" and learn the camera. If they're stuck on a brand it's usually because of advertising or some relationship - whether a relative uses one brand, or if they grew up with a parent using a certain brand it's emotional.

If I have some unusual lens on the camera I'll give it to people to let them look through the camera and see what it provides. That's pretty fun for people with stock superzooms or kit zooms, since they've never had the chance to use anything else.

Pro level stuff? Unless you've got thousands to spend it's essentially telling someone to go buy a Bugatti...
06-30-2014, 09:07 AM   #33

I can't give any advice on professional stuff. So I am telling all the casual holiday photographers or getting-interseted-into-serious-photography people interested in an entry-level DSLR the same that made me buy a Pentax. That is in-body image stabilisation and AF-motor, great compatibility to older lenses (who wants to spend a fortune on lenses when your just about to start getting serious?) and weather sealing.

Weather sealing is a great selling point. Just show some of the youtube videos where some crazy guy is burying his Pentax in sand or taking pictures under a shower. It usually makes a lasting impression, because everyone knows that you don't do that with a normal camera (as a matter of fact, I definitely willnot do this even with my Pentax; and I don't want to know how many not uploaded clips are out there where the test was just a little bit too much for the weather sealing...).

Depending on the character of the person that asks you for advice, it can also be helpful to point out that with a Pentax you will actually stand out. Every boring person can buy a Nikon or a Canon... ;-)

I do say as well that taking videos isn't the greatest thing with most Pentax cameras. But hoenstly, everyone who wants to take videos regularily I would recomment to get a video camera and not a DSLR.
06-30-2014, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dieterson Quote
Weather sealing is a great selling point. Just show some of the youtube videos where some crazy guy is burying his Pentax in sand or taking pictures under a shower. It usually makes a lasting impression, because everyone knows that you don't do that with a normal camera (as a matter of fact, I definitely willnot do this even with my Pentax; and I don't want to know how many not uploaded clips are out there where the test was just a little bit too much for the weather sealing...).
Careful who you call crazy, Heie is an active member here - and active military! His cameras go with him to Afghanistan, Norway etc. so he's a walking billboard for ruggedness.

06-30-2014, 10:25 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I promote Pentax on facebook and in my flickr posts, and also put up a little "my gear" section on my website here: http://mikeoria.zenfolio.com/my-gear
06-30-2014, 11:46 AM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Careful who you call crazy
I am sorry, I did not want to insult anyone. Just because I don't want to do something does not mean that I think someone who does it is stupid.

I can't really say what I wanted to express, because "crazy" obviously was the wrong word for it. Right now, I don't dare to try to describe what I wanted to express; I fear that I probably would make it worse. I am simply lacking the proper word or expression in English. So please believe me that I didn't want to insult anyone, I have not much chance to practice in English these days.

Anyway, thank you for pointing out that this could be taken as an insult. That way, I have the opportnity to apologise, and won't use this expression the next time.

And as I said, the video is a great Pentax commercial...
06-30-2014, 12:08 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dieterson Quote
Anyway, thank you for pointing out that this could be taken as an insult. That way, I have the opportnity to apologise, and won't use this expression the next time.

And as I said, the video is a great Pentax commercial...
I should have used the facetious font! He won't take insult, if I can be presumptuous.

06-30-2014, 12:49 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I show them my pictures. That is the best way to convince them that Pentax equipment is top notch.
Then you are using a process of attraction rather than promotion.
06-30-2014, 12:52 PM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Then you are using a process of attraction rather than promotion.
I've always believed that the best form of product promotion...is to let them see what a product does.
07-03-2014, 08:57 AM   #40
Veteran Member

A girl said: That small camera produced really amazing pictures - reaction to K30 + DA40. It would really happen.
07-05-2014, 02:50 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't promote anything. I promote choice. I am more then willing to let people try my camera and lens's, but at the same time, i also encourage them to touch/try as many different ones as they can. Camera's are like cars. They're an investment, and people have very particular tastes. what fits in my hand, may not fit someone else's hand. I would rather see someone buy a Nikon and love it and use it, then by a Pentax and complain about it, keep it in a drawer.

Photography is enjoyable, as long as you're enjoying it, i don't care about the tools you use.
07-05-2014, 07:43 PM   #42
Veteran Member

I just posted a photo of myself to facebook, carrying my wet K-30 in the rain! and one of my friends is using Pentax now.
07-28-2014, 09:38 PM   #43
Pentaxian

Some good reasons to shoot Pentax:

5Reasons to choose PENTAX | RICOH IMAGING
08-01-2014, 09:50 AM   #44
Veteran Member

I don't get paid anything nor am I given free stuff by any camera maker, therefore I feel no obligation to "promote" any brand.
I tell them the pros AND cons of all the gear I have experience with.
08-01-2014, 09:00 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've have a few people ask me about what DSLR to get or what to look for, etc. I always tell them up front I know nothing about the camera brands they will find in the stores, only Pentax, then I tell them some generic, common stuff to look for. I don't know how much help I am because I don't think anyone has pulled the trigger after I gave them my 2 cents. I think I give pretty good advice, I just don't think they were fully committed to buying a DSLR. I never push Pentax but tell them what I like about the brand. I've had one person ask me about a colored body camera when they saw my K-x, and I tell them to shop for a Pentax.